CGLockRacer SuperDork
Jan. 13, 2015 8:13 a.m.

So I sold my SpecMiata in 2009 to pay for other racing opportunities (SkipBarber). In the bill of sale, I asked to have right of first refusal when he decided to sell. Long story short, the time has come. I can probably swing buying it back (depending on price) if I sold my RX-8. However, it would not be a competitive car (1.6L) if I were to go racing again. I'd mainly be using it for track days. Another issue is it isn't street legal and I don't have a way to tow it currently. I do have a friend looking for an entry level SM track car, so hopefully I can get him to buy it.

Should I buy it back? I think it is mainly for sentimental reasons at this point because I built it and raced it.

GameboyRMH MegaDork
Jan. 13, 2015 8:51 a.m.

Could you make it street legal?

CGLockRacer SuperDork
Jan. 13, 2015 8:59 a.m.

Define - "legal". It's not something I'd want to travel any distance in on the road.

Brett_Murphy UberDork
Jan. 13, 2015 9:00 a.m.

I understand that the sentimental value does mean something.

However, based on the information you gave us, I say that paying a premium for an noncompetitive race car does not make sense. Buy a nice street car and get a new Hard Dog rollbar.

maj75
maj75 Reader
Jan. 13, 2015 9:12 a.m.

I don't follow Spec Miata so this is probable a dumb question, but are you saying 90-93 Miatas are not competitive?

Sanchinguy New Reader
Jan. 13, 2015 9:21 a.m.

Convert to rallycross?

Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
Jan. 13, 2015 9:24 a.m.

Depends on asking price.

CGLockRacer SuperDork
Jan. 13, 2015 9:24 a.m.

In reply to maj75:

Difficult (i.e. $$) to make competitive against the '99 and up currently at national level. Regional level they may have better odds. However, after the whole modified heads debacle, I don't know. I am not that up to date.

Duke UltimaDork
Jan. 13, 2015 9:30 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I understand that the sentimental value does mean something. However, based on the information you gave us, I say that paying a premium for an noncompetitive race car does not make sense. Buy a nice street car and get a new Hard Dog rollbar.
Fr3AkAzOiD wrote: Depends on asking price.

This ^^ plus this ^ equals the right answer.

xflowgolf Dork
Jan. 13, 2015 10:38 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: based on the information you gave us, I say that paying a premium for an noncompetitive race car does not make sense. Buy a nice street car and get a new Hard Dog rollbar.

Agreed.

The way you worded the OP almost sounded like you wanted us to tell us why you shouldn't buy it.

A non road legal racecar with no way to tow it won't be convenient or easy/fun to make it to random track days as a track only vehicle.

unevolved SuperDork
Jan. 13, 2015 12:08 p.m.

OP, I'm absolutely awful about buying cars I have sentimental feelings towards, and I can't honestly say it's led me to make good decisions. Don't get me wrong, I've regretted SELLING cars, but I've never felt like buying back old racecars was a good decision.

Kendall_Jones HalfDork
Jan. 13, 2015 12:25 p.m.

It made good power at the time :)

Its got a good cage if I recall. Might be a good start for an STL car.

Jan. 13, 2015 12:40 p.m.

does AER or WRL run at any tracks local to you?

TeamEvil HalfDork
Jan. 13, 2015 2:16 p.m.

Buy it back ! You'll regret not doing so for the rest of your life. Even if you only run it occasionally and sell it later on.

Who wouldn't love just one more go-around with the cars of their past ! ? ! ? !

This is a pretty rare opportunity; if you can comfortably afford to, make it happen . . .

Raze UltraDork
Jan. 13, 2015 2:20 p.m.

Buy it back...move to a state with lax registration laws to make it street legal...bonus points for a hot and humid southern state assuming it has no AC...daily drive it...I want to see how dedicated you truely are

CGLockRacer SuperDork
Jan. 13, 2015 7:01 p.m.
Raze wrote: ...move to a state with lax registration laws to make it street legal...

hehe..I live in Michigan. No inspections Not that I'd ever drive a non-street legal car on the street...

CGLockRacer SuperDork
Jan. 13, 2015 7:49 p.m.

Well, I called....and left a voicemail. We'll see what happens. I have no idea what condition it is currently in or what he is asking. I don't think I'm going to end up buying it unless it is ridiculously cheap. I will, however, keep track of where it goes if at all possible.

Here's some build pictures from 2007. From flood car to Leeloo the SpecMiata! http://www.teammathermotorsport.com/leeloo_construction_1

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

1 day ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

1 day ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

2 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

2 days ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

2 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

3 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

3 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

3 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

3 days ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

3 days ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

4 days ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

4 days ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
XflVp6QywkAeF0sqjdbqKSyHl9h0FRdX