Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/18 8:06 p.m.

The Benz is out. 

Next on the hit parade is a 2003 Infinity G35. 6mt.

I like the way these look and sound, but I have never been a big fan of Nissan. Tell me why I don't want it. Or do I. 

SavageHenry
SavageHenry New Reader
8/14/18 8:15 p.m.

For what it's worth I picked up an 08 g35x sedan last month and I've been loving it. Drives great and has the best AC of any car I've owned. Seems to be decent aftermarket for the coupes. Lots of good info at g35driver forum

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/14/18 8:20 p.m.

I've been impressed with the rwd Nissan/Infiniti cars I've messed with the last few years. I haven't had a single wtf were they thinking moment while working on them. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/14/18 8:30 p.m.

The engine bay is a pita to work on

headers are a 8 hour job.

MrChaos
8/14/18 8:31 p.m.

The 350z and G35 are what the drift kids are moving toward since 240's are drying up.

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/14/18 8:43 p.m.

As noted they are popular with the wannabe drifters...  Only other downside that I can think of is that they run 91 octane... and that not a real issue.  

My wife wants one as her summer car to complement her awd EX35.  

Gordon

former520
former520 HalfDork
8/14/18 9:38 p.m.

Had a budy with a 03 6MT when they first came out.  Loved that car, ton of fun to drive and fairly practical. 

I have an 09 7AT with 181k on it that has all of the original accessories on the motor.  Has only come home on the flat bed once due to a plastic couple letting go between two hoses in back of motor.  Most reliable car I have owned and still not bored or wanting more after 5 years and 140k of driving.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/14/18 9:45 p.m.

Is a manual a requirement?

Reason I ask, my new to me ‘01 GS430 is a much better vehicle than my dad’s recently sold ‘12 G37. The G37 was a good car, but never made us fall in love with it like the GS has, or the E34 that the G37 replaced, or the W124 that the E34 replaced. It was just missing that mojo. 

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/14/18 9:56 p.m.

Beat the E36 M3 out of that trans on a test drive.  The 6 speeds had syncro issues up until about 2006 when Nissan finally got the gear box right.

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/14/18 10:06 p.m.

I had a 2006 6mt sedan for a while. It was a nice car, but I never really fell in love with it. I remember it took me a long time to get the 1-2 shift down, but the engine was fantastic. 

Papabishop
Papabishop Reader
8/14/18 10:11 p.m.

I was on search for one of these but found  an 04 I 35 (fwd) way to cheap to pass up and got it. This is 3rd Nissan I’ve owned, always had decent luck with them passing 200k .

In my expirence with all cars I’ve owned the VQ is an awesome motor to drive, great for DD use, powa when you want it. Only thing I’ve had to do to mine is starter which was hour job, but I’m dreading doing the plugs on this motor, damn intake manifolds these days.

my biggest complaint, after 2002ish motor mounts on nissans suck, either deal with some vibrations, or get use to changing them. And gas, I can get over running premium, gas mileage is crap tho. Part of owning one I suppose

MrChaos
8/15/18 5:42 a.m.

also everyone complains about how terrible the z or g35 sound. the vq is not a nice sounding engine.

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/15/18 5:47 a.m.
MrChaos said:

also everyone complains about how terrible the z or g35 sound. the vq is not a nice sounding engine.

Really dependent on which exhaust you run. I've heard a few that sound nice, but by and large, they are an unpleasant-sounding engine. Also, I seem to recall that the Z/G had a few years where the engine had some oil consumption issues. I think it was '07-'08, and I'm not sure how serious it was.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
8/15/18 5:51 a.m.
SavageHenry said:

For what it's worth I picked up an 08 g35x sedan last month and I've been loving it. Drives great and has the best AC of any car I've owned.

I've got a '13 G37, and I'd presume it still uses the same AC system.  I completely agree that it's by far the best of any car I've ever had...it'll freeze my ass off on a 93 degree Atlanta summer day.  I badly wanted a car with ventilated seats, but with AC this good, I don't need them.

We also owned an '04 G35x "back in the day".  I agree with most of the previous comments.  It's a very entertaining car to drive every time you get behind the wheel and it dead nuts reliable.  I sort of think of the car as a 328i (which I absolutely love) without the maintenance and reliability issues.  Yeah, it runs on premium unleaded and fuel mileage sucks...especially the older cars.  However, the joy the driving experience gives makes it worth it.  As for the sound the VQ makes, that's subjective.  I like it.  It gets a bit uncivilized at very high rpm, but from idle to about 5500 rpm or so, I think it sounds mean.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/15/18 10:39 a.m.
former520 said:

Has only come home on the flat bed once due to a plastic couple letting go between two hoses in back of motor.  

I know exactly which piece you are talking about. It's also the bleeder valve for replacing coolant and seems to get very brittle with time.

I loved my 03 AT sedan for the few months I had it, even in beater wrecked condition. Excellent handling, all the power you really need, and easily defeatable traction control. I agree the A/C is pretty darn good too.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/18 7:47 p.m.

Gears have been changed. Build thread is here. Linky

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3RVdnmYdG0VakMwne6LcPK9xI8bcUWqom5exhSajxvSBX5UgvdOHpdU6QUaOxeWi