David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/28/10 9:45 a.m.
feature_image

We recently picked up a hmmmmm at around 35 mph, and the right-front wheel had a bit of play to it. Tightening up that bearing seemed to make the noise a bit louder, so we ordered new wheel bearings.

Out went the old bearings, in went the new ones. Guess what? The noise was still there.

So now the diagnostic …

Read the rest of the story

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
6/28/10 5:44 p.m.

I have had strange vibrations in my Liberty. All kinds of things were no help. Just replaced the worn out Goodyears with Yokohamas and the vibrations are gone.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/28/10 7:57 p.m.

Cool. These tires are fairly new, but I'd swear that the noise recently showed up. It's not bad--just a hum between 30 and 35 mph or so. I was more concerned that we had a major problem.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
7/2/10 2:35 p.m.

I see the 911 has picked up a ducktail. What's the story behind that?

David

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/3/10 10:14 p.m.

story starts here http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1984-porsche-911-carrera/duck-tail/

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/7/10 9:58 a.m.

My 85 911 had a similar hum....kind of like running your finger around the top of a glass. I turned the rear rotors and the problem was solved. Talked to a Porsche mechanic and he said he'd seen that a lot over the years on AC 911s.

bearmotorsports
bearmotorsports New Reader
7/9/10 8:52 a.m.

Tire related problems are mostly to blame for these kind of Hummms or other. This has happened many timesvwhen customers complained of road noise. Tires wear in a funny way at times.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nfyd44G8Quw4lSWS9Wv7klVvgg2FPmXwiOSPmuDzk5Pe0wdAPomody4Fu4RJz8sB