M030 Dork
June 23, 2015 4:37 p.m.

What do you think of this kit? I want to put it on my 1998 323iS (2.5L). I hope the front-mount intercooler will fit behind my M3 bumper

Why is this so cheap?

kanaric
kanaric Dork
June 23, 2015 4:40 p.m.

I see a lot of mentions of components and no piping, not in the screenshot either. Also at that price the turbo is likely ebay chinese quality.

old_ Reader
June 23, 2015 4:41 p.m.

because china. also no down pipe, charge pipes, etc

2002maniac Dork
June 23, 2015 4:57 p.m.

As far as cheap E36 turbo kits go, the one from CX Racing seems to be pretty high quality for the price. It's one of the more complete kits I've seen as well. There was a build thread on bimmerforums that used this kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-Top-Mount-GT35-Turbo-Kit-Manifold-Downpipe-Intercooler-92-98-BMW-E36-/161004010557?hash=item257c963c3d&vxp=mtr

Cone_Junkie SuperDork
June 23, 2015 5:34 p.m.

The CXRacing turbo kit for my SOHC 240sx is on my wish list. It's a lot of bang for the buck at <$1200. Can always upgrade some of the parts as time goes on.

Knurled UltimaDork
June 23, 2015 6:36 p.m.

Who else parsed the thread title as an unswear?

It does work both ways, you know.

mndsm MegaDork
June 23, 2015 6:44 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Who else parsed the thread title as an unswear? It does work both ways, you know.

most chinabay turbo kits are in fact, as the filter would assess them.

Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
June 23, 2015 9:50 p.m.

In reply to M030: Another way to do it is buy a good turbo assembly piece by piece over a couple of years or so, or get a cheap kit and buy a quality Turbonetics or Garrett turbocharger.

bgkast UberDork
June 23, 2015 9:55 p.m.

Ooh, it's got a "AWESOME SUPER SOUND RACE BOV"

Opti Reader
June 23, 2015 10:01 p.m.

XSPower manufacturers headers for the C5, everyone says they are quite good, good power like the highend ones (although they probably give up some mid range because of the shorter primaries) and they have been updated them like 3 times for fitment.

I would have already purchased a set but I keep looking at the OBX setup because of the longer primaries.

If this is anything like the C5 headers, i probably wouldnt worry too much about purchasing it, then again I wouldnt be too surprised if the header cracked. Probably still do it though

M030 Dork
June 24, 2015 5:26 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Clutch42:

Thanks! That's the plan

MadScientistMatt UberDork
June 24, 2015 8:04 a.m.

It's incomplete, and I would be worried about any tubular manifold at that price needing constant re-welding.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Born In Brooklyn: A Championship RX-7 From an Unlikely Place

9 hours ago in Articles

A Mazda RX-7 autocrosser from the middle of New York City.

GRM Live Tonight on Wednesday, June 28: The Science Behind Fasteners

18 hours ago in News

They hold all of your work together, but do you know when to use each type of fastener?

Your Projects: E46 M3 Transformation

22 hours ago in News

Watch this E46 M3 go from tuned street car to winged time trial racer in just one page.

You Need This: Indian Flat-Track Race Bike, Front Brake Optional

23 hours ago in News

We know, it's not a car but, still, it’s cool.

Autocross: It's a Jeep Thing

1 day ago in Articles

What’s a yellow Jeep doing on an autocross course?

Tech Tips: 2005-'14 Ford Mustang GT

1 day ago in Articles

Want to learn some speed tricks for the S197 Ford Mustang GT? We brought in an expert.

Removing Clear Bra From Project Rallycross Focus

1 day ago in Project Cars

Our latest to-do item was motivated by self-respect rather than speed.

2017 Ram 1500 Night Edition Crew Cab

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

Half-ton trucks are just getting bigger and bigger, aren't they. This Ram 150, dubbed "Night Edition," is really an optioned-out ...

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

1 day ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Action Cam Guide

2 days ago in Articles

Capture your on-track memories with today’s latest and greatest

Reader's Ride of the Week: Troyer Modified Hillclimber

2 days ago in News

It's a circle track car that's been convinced to turn left and right, and go up hills.

You Need This: Track-Ready 1991 Mazda Miata for $5500

2 days ago in News

What’s better than a Miata? How about a Miata that’s ready for the track?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
2WtULKI56yBgKbWLplBZl89ORemWEaj4