Bowenaero New Reader
May 31, 2013 1:44 a.m.

I want to read inputs from a bunch of extra sensors on my engine. I want to be able to read the sensor outputs while driving, and I want to be able to log the info for later analysis.

Here's what I think would be the ideal setup: I would like to use whatever sensors I want (junkyard ones like the GM #25036751 IAT sensor) and have some box to plug the lead(s) into. The box would connect to a computer and have a software interface. I could tell the software what the input is (air temp, air press, EGT, whatever) and give it the calibration info (like .3V = 5psi, etc). It will then display the data in real time (like the TunerStudioMS Gauge Cluster) and log the info in a .txt file or something.

And what I'm looking for right now specifically is the ability to read in data from (3) air temp sensors and (3) air press. sensors (one of each before the turbo, between turbo and I/C, and after I/C).

I'm basically looking for something to display and log sensor inputs similar to how MegaSquirt/TunerStudioMS does (I'm using MS1 V3). Does some program like this exist? Has anyone done this kind of cheap-o data aquisition before?

Thanks a lot.

Paul_VR6 HalfDork
May 31, 2013 4:32 a.m.

Switch to MS2/3 and buy an IOx.

tpwalsh Reader
May 31, 2013 7:33 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6:

Yep, your choices are MS3 upgrade(with the MS3x), or the race capture pro http://www.autosportlabs.com/racecapturepro-p-74.html

Bowenaero New Reader
May 31, 2013 9:55 a.m.

Thanks a lot for the replies. This is for a Challenge car, so I can't really afford MS2 or 3.

That RaceCapture system looks similar to what I'm looking for, but it's expensive. I don't need accelerometers or outputs, so is there a cheaper system somewhere without that stuff?

And could someone elaborate on the IOx thing? link? I couldn't find anything on Google except for some pharmacology DataAq. Is that it? lol

Jaynen Dork
May 31, 2013 10:22 a.m.

How is 300 bucks expensive? Race capture pro was pretty much designed for lemons teams. Their forums has tons of info on where to find cheap sensors for all kinds of stuff

Bowenaero New Reader
May 31, 2013 10:56 a.m.

It's $400, and I'm on a college student's budget. It's really not expensive for what it is, but since I'm not going to use some of its more-expensive features, that's a lot to pay. It does seem like a great system overall.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Sit Back and Enjoy Our $2016 Challenge Online

2 hours ago in News

We'll be streaming the fun online.

Do as I Say...

3 hours ago in Articles

Take it from a wrenching veteran: Safety equipment is a good thing.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Challenging 2002

22 hours ago in News

Rust? That's just nature's Loctite.

Win a Brand New 2016 Global Mazda MX-5 Cup Car

2 days ago in News

$100 supports the LeMons of Love charity and gives you the chance to win a new race car.

Absolute Velocity

4 days ago in Articles

Jerry Hoffmann puts his tuning skills to the test with a 200 mph land speed Nissan 240SX.

2016 BMW X1

4 days ago in New Car Reviews

We recently got a chance to spend some time with the BMW X1 xDrive28i. This is the newest, smallest and ...

Win a Trip to the Bridgestone Winter Driving School

6 days ago in News

We're sending two people on an extremely fun and educational trip.

Come hang with us at the SCCA Runoffs

6 days ago in News

We'll be at Mid-Ohio this weekend. Will you?

Learn Suspension Setup From Your Couch

6 days ago in News

Want to learn about suspension setup from a pro?

Rotary Miata Auction Coming Soon!

1 week ago in Project Cars

You could own this very cool car. All proceeds go to a good cause.

From the GRM Vault: Love Bugs

1 week ago in Articles

The ultimate battle Beetles.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Not Your Grandma's Studebaker

1 week ago in News

This might be the fastest Studebaker Lark you've ever seen.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
Uq28DAdvZRGQYq4VwiZUwRYTqgZqYQTc