Bowenaero New Reader
May 31, 2013 1:44 a.m.

I want to read inputs from a bunch of extra sensors on my engine. I want to be able to read the sensor outputs while driving, and I want to be able to log the info for later analysis.

Here's what I think would be the ideal setup: I would like to use whatever sensors I want (junkyard ones like the GM #25036751 IAT sensor) and have some box to plug the lead(s) into. The box would connect to a computer and have a software interface. I could tell the software what the input is (air temp, air press, EGT, whatever) and give it the calibration info (like .3V = 5psi, etc). It will then display the data in real time (like the TunerStudioMS Gauge Cluster) and log the info in a .txt file or something.

And what I'm looking for right now specifically is the ability to read in data from (3) air temp sensors and (3) air press. sensors (one of each before the turbo, between turbo and I/C, and after I/C).

I'm basically looking for something to display and log sensor inputs similar to how MegaSquirt/TunerStudioMS does (I'm using MS1 V3). Does some program like this exist? Has anyone done this kind of cheap-o data aquisition before?

Thanks a lot.

Paul_VR6 HalfDork
May 31, 2013 4:32 a.m.

Switch to MS2/3 and buy an IOx.

tpwalsh Reader
May 31, 2013 7:33 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6:

Yep, your choices are MS3 upgrade(with the MS3x), or the race capture pro

Bowenaero New Reader
May 31, 2013 9:55 a.m.

Thanks a lot for the replies. This is for a Challenge car, so I can't really afford MS2 or 3.

That RaceCapture system looks similar to what I'm looking for, but it's expensive. I don't need accelerometers or outputs, so is there a cheaper system somewhere without that stuff?

And could someone elaborate on the IOx thing? link? I couldn't find anything on Google except for some pharmacology DataAq. Is that it? lol

Jaynen Dork
May 31, 2013 10:22 a.m.

How is 300 bucks expensive? Race capture pro was pretty much designed for lemons teams. Their forums has tons of info on where to find cheap sensors for all kinds of stuff

Bowenaero New Reader
May 31, 2013 10:56 a.m.

It's $400, and I'm on a college student's budget. It's really not expensive for what it is, but since I'm not going to use some of its more-expensive features, that's a lot to pay. It does seem like a great system overall.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

So You've Drilled Through Your Own Hand

7 hours ago in Articles

Congratulations! You’ve joined the elite club of people who have drilled through their own hand while working on their car.

Who Needs a New SA2015 Helmet?

9 hours ago in News

We're giving away a RaceQuip helmet!

Win a Trip to the Bridgestone Winter Driving School

1 day ago in News

The drawing closes on November 6.

From the GRM Vault: Oddballs of Autocross

1 day ago in Articles

In the sport of autocrossing, sometimes different really is good.

The Dork Stickers Are Back!

1 day ago in News

They're free with a discounted subscription this month only!

Motor Werks Racing: Stupid-Fun Porsches

2 days ago in News

We stopped by Motor Werks Racing to take a look at their fleet of swapped Porsche 944s.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Restomod Europa

2 days ago in News

A British classic with a modern twist.

From the GRM Vault: Moving on Up

3 days ago in Articles

How to step up from regional events to national and pro competition.

What Did We Break?

4 days ago in Project Cars

We get to the bottom of our rallycross Focus's ruined geometry.

The Best of Both Worlds: Cars and Planes

4 days ago in News

Prepare for sensory overload at Sebring International Raceway this December.

Watch It: Rotary Miata Makes First Autocross Runs

1 week ago in Project Cars

It's been a long time coming, but it performed well.

Get Your Kicks in a 996

1 week ago in Articles

1999-2004 Porsche 911 Carrera tech tips.

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More