1 2
midniteson
midniteson New Reader
2/7/10 2:25 a.m.

im lookin for a helmet for this next autocross/trackday season. my budget is 150$ it must meet scca rules. anything to look out for? companys to stay away from, or you would reccomend. it would also have to be new,im tired of wearin loaners on hot days with other peoples funk invading my nostrils during my runs.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
2/7/10 2:37 a.m.

For the trackdays, does it need to be "SA" rated or just "M" ?

midniteson
midniteson New Reader
2/7/10 2:56 a.m.

if im not mistaken it has to be SA for hpde events

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
2/7/10 3:07 a.m.

It's going to be tough to get a closed face SA rated helmet for $150, but there's some around $200 or so.

I get my safety gear from Apex:

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartgenie/pg_racinghelmets.asp

Josh
Josh Dork
2/7/10 7:27 a.m.

I've never heard of an HPDE that required an SA helmet. You won't find one in your price range, and if you don't need it, you don't want it anyway. SA helmets are typically heavier, hotter inside, and have a narrow field of view.

There are some phenomenal deals on helmets right now due to the upcoming change of the snell ratings. An M05 helmet will still be legal for 10 years from this point, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to keep a helmet that long anyway.

This is the helmet I own and love, and I paid almost twice as much for it earlier this season. I can't imagine getting a better deal on a helmet this good.
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/helmets/hjc/cl_sp_metallic_motorcycle_helmet.html

skrzastek
skrzastek Reader
2/7/10 7:46 a.m.
Josh wrote: I've never heard of an HPDE that required an SA helmet.

I'm fairly certain that all HPDE's require a SA helmet

Josh
Josh Dork
2/7/10 8:18 a.m.
skrzastek wrote:

Have you ever been to one?

BMWCCA doesn't require Snell SA ratings, NASA doesn't require SA, SCCA PDX events don't require SA. Maybe there is a local club here and there that do, but I wouldn't call it common. I don't believe any of the clubs running in the northeast require an SA helmet for HPDE (non-racing) events.

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
2/7/10 8:34 a.m.

neither does TrackDaze™ .... if you are running an open cockpit car there are some additional regulations, but for a tintop M is fine

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
2/7/10 9:10 a.m.

If it turns out M2005 is okay, I'd check out the Bell Sprint. I picked up mine in an unpopular graphic design for about $75.

midniteson
midniteson New Reader
2/7/10 12:11 p.m.

I re-read my clubs rules, and while strongly reccomended An SA helmet is not required. so i have the option of an M rated helmet.

ea_sport
ea_sport New Reader
2/7/10 1:24 p.m.

How about the G-Force Pro Force Hybrid? It looks like this one: http://www.gforce.com/products/helmets/5409.php

skrzastek
skrzastek Reader
2/7/10 2:04 p.m.
Josh wrote:
skrzastek wrote:
Have you ever been to one? BMWCCA doesn't require Snell SA ratings, NASA doesn't require SA, SCCA PDX events don't require SA. Maybe there is a local club here and there that do, but I wouldn't call it common. I don't believe any of the clubs running in the northeast require an SA helmet for HPDE (non-racing) events.

I stand corrected and yes, I have been to several DE's. That being said, since I started racing Spec Miata a couple years ago I haven't really looked at the rules for HPDE. I thought that I remembered that SA helmets where required

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/7/10 2:10 p.m.
skrzastek wrote:

None of the groups in Northern California here require SA helmets for HPDE. SA helmets only become a requirement when you're in a situation that requires all the other fire retardant safety equipment.

The cheapest I've seen a new SA helmet sell for is $200. And that was on sale.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
2/7/10 4:13 p.m.

http://www.gforceoutlet.com/

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/gforceoutlet/

The G-Force outlet store's stock changes regularly, so check back regularly for the best deals. I got my SA-rated full-face helmet from them a couple of seasons ago for $99.

SpeedTheory
SpeedTheory GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/8/10 4:19 p.m.

Check out a Zamp FSA-1. They may be on closeout as the replacement model has just been released. GREAT helmet, especially for the price.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
2/8/10 4:49 p.m.

Local motorcycle shop would probably work too.

That's where I got my son's karting helmet. Snell rated, carbon fiber outer shell, light weight and only $225.

They would probably have a bunch on sale to get out last years designs.

More importantly, you would be able to try them on while in the store and figure out which one feels best. Ordering stuff over the web is cool because it's cheaper, but for things like helmets and shoes, it's nice to be able to make sure it fits right and feels good.

-Rob

JoeyM
JoeyM Reader
2/8/10 5:26 p.m.
Josh wrote:
skrzastek wrote:
Have you ever been to one? BMWCCA doesn't require Snell SA ratings, NASA doesn't require SA, SCCA PDX events don't require SA.

Add Chin Motorsports to that list. I went down to Sebring because a friend was instructing, and ended up riding along for a few laps. Nobody complained about my M class Bell Tourlite SC

FWIW, the "cheap" SA helmet that is linked to from the Lemons site is the $248.45 Pyrotect Pro Airflow SA

--

Shameless Plug: The MSCC autocross school is Feb. 20 & 21

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
2/9/10 6:45 a.m.

I bought my G-Force open face SA 05 right after it came out for $149. It's a little heavy, but the SAs are tested for more angles of impact and are fire retardent. M's are not. OTTH, my wife says I look like Major shiny happy person from Spaceballs in it...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/9/10 9:03 a.m.
Josh wrote: I've never heard of an HPDE that required an SA helmet. You won't find one in your price range, and if you don't need it, you don't want it anyway. SA helmets are typically heavier, hotter inside, and have a narrow field of view.

I'm not sure where you get that they are heavier, hotter and narrower. Most of the less expensive SA helmets are EXACTLY the same as the M counterpart except for the liner material. I'm not saying that they aren't somehow structurally different... but placing them side-by-side you would never know it. My HJC is extremely light, looks exactly the same as the HJC-10/12 motorcycle helmets and has a nice wide eyeport. The only noticeable difference is that the liner is removable, washable Nomex and the sticker says SA on it.

The Bell offerings were similar but very much more expensive.

NASA does require SA for time attack, and for instructors. Atleast in the Northeast.

BMWCCA goes by chapter with the majority still allowing the M but IIRC Delaware Valley and NJ were going SA at the next Snell release.

I would buy a full face SA for any motorsport activity above auto-x. For the extra $50 you insure you won't be excluding yourself from something AND if you have a misfortune in a car with pipes near your head you will have had the right equipment when the insurance company denies your claim :)

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
2/9/10 10:10 a.m.

In some cases, the only difference is the lining. SA has fire retardent, M does not. Example, My Simpson Voyager.

getfast
getfast New Reader
2/9/10 10:52 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: NASA does require SA for time attack, and for instructors. Atleast in the Northeast.

Interesting, although NASA doesn't do "time attack"... NASA TT and instructor groups are both part of HPDE and should have the exact same helmet requirements (i.e. M90/SA90 or newer/better as per 11.3.1 at http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf ) unless the NE folks made a regional-only rule.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/9/10 11:53 a.m.
getfast wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: NASA does require SA for time attack, and for instructors. Atleast in the Northeast.
Interesting, although NASA doesn't do "time attack"... NASA TT and instructor groups are both part of HPDE and should have the exact same helmet requirements (i.e. M90/SA90 or newer/better as per 11.3.1 at http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf ) unless the NE folks made a regional-only rule.

I called it Time Attack... you are correct, its TT. I was using the "brand" name... like Kleenex but I did intend to say NASA.

Interesting... could be regional, I never checked the actual rules. I tried to loan and old helmet to a friend last season and I was told by NASA NE at Pocono that they required SA. I took it on faith since they had loaners for him to use & didn't pursue it further.

getfast
getfast New Reader
2/9/10 12:03 p.m.

LOL, time attack (at least the way Redline does it) and NASA TT aren't anywhere close to the same brand. But that's another discussion entirely.

Anyway yeah, could be a region-specific addition or even track-specific for Pocono (sorta like how VIR has their own set of rollbar rules for convertibles.) I did find this:

http://www.nasanortheast.com/faq-wear.html

Although it says "a helmet rated Snell M or 2000" which doesn't make any sense...

Josh
Josh Dork
2/9/10 12:14 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I'm not sure where you get that they are heavier, hotter and narrower.

It's not like these things are universal, but at the low end of the SA prices you can generally get a lighter, more advanced helmet for your money with an M rating. I will admit I haven't worn a closed face SA helmet for long periods of time, but I hear that the Nomex linings make them hotter, and many helmets that weren't designed with motorcycle use in mind don't pay as much attention to ventilation.

As far as the narrower field of view, the SA specs do allow a smaller eyeport than the M specs. Some helmets may use the same shells, but they don't have to.

I think you get a lot more for your money with an M helmet, especially so if you ever intend to ride a motorcycle. An SA helmet costs more (around 3x more than the M2005 HJC CL-SP, which is a fantastic helmet) and usually ends up being less versatile, so I won't buy one until a club makes me :).

getfast
getfast New Reader
2/9/10 12:25 p.m.
Josh wrote: An SA helmet costs more (around 3x more than the M2005 HJC CL-SP, which is a fantastic helmet) and usually ends up being less versatile, so I won't buy one until a club makes me :).

And on the other end of that spectrum, I wear - and have worn for more than a decade - nothing but SA full face. I function on the "it is better to have and not need than to need and not have" principle, but I wear my helmet a lot - and under a lot of different conditions during which I am not always in control of the vehicle, so YMMV.

As for the costs, my current sub-$300 SA2005 G-Force fits great and does everything as well as more expensive SA helmets I've owned in the past from Bell and Bieffe. So you don't need to spend a mint to get a good one - or at least I didn't...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xtdAcQdx2kxJPi7biqaYvYmoA8w0WXLGFM1MblTzUNzx4fYnIJiE3AmCBdb3V6eY