1 2 3
NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
1/7/14 3:17 p.m.

Just passing this on from the MGB engine swap board. Some enterprising person has figured out a source for a cheap adapter that allows you to hook your Zetec engine to any of the GM corporate gearboxes. Basically an outboard engine adapter used by OMC.

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,2568556

http://www.mgexp.com/phile/40/227719/omc_adapter_rear.JPG

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/14 3:46 p.m.

MMMM.. That is nice. Thanks for posting this!

Also, I like your avatar on the other forum better....

Rob R.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
1/7/14 3:58 p.m.

I had forgotten about that.

You can use a transmission from the Pinto 1.6 or 2.0 and some Lima 2.3 too. The Zetec uses the old Ford 4 cylinder bellhousing pattern on the Zetec, it's the same as the Kent/CVH/Crossflow/SPI. The Zetec in the US usually have the starter moved to a position above the center line of the crank, I think the first year or two of the Contour/Mystic had the lower starter location, though.

The Lima 2.3 block has dual top bolt holes and the transmission bellhousing 'usually' connects to the upper most ones, where as the typical Ford 4 cylinder pattern uses the lower two upper bolt holes. The rest of the holes are the same, for the most part. I think the guide pins needed to a step machined into them to drilled out to the larger size. The pilot bearing recess needs to be reamed to fit in a bearing (the Pinto 2.0's will fit after finishing the recess).

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/7/14 5:14 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Just passing this on from the MGB engine swap board. Some enterprising person has figured out a source for a cheap adapter that allows you to hook your Zetec engine to any of the GM corporate gearboxes. Basically an outboard engine adapter used by OMC. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,2568556 http://www.mgexp.com/phile/40/227719/omc_adapter_rear.JPG

Your avatar over there belongs in GGA!

Great find storing that one away for future use!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/14 5:20 p.m.

Applause, sir.great info

t25torx
t25torx Reader
1/7/14 6:33 p.m.

Hmm, I wonder how many people I could piss off putting a boosted Zetec in my Camaro mated to the T5...

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/7/14 6:58 p.m.

Wow!

I could bolt my Zetec to a Toronado trans and stuff it in the back of the Europa that way!!!

djsilver
djsilver New Reader
1/7/14 8:11 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Wow! I could bolt my Zetec to a Toronado trans and stuff it in the back of the Europa that way!!!

An automatic Europa? !!

petegossett
1/7/14 8:39 p.m.

In reply to t25torx:

I've considered putting mine into a an early Fox notch, or a Mustang II. But I think a Pinto/Bobcat would be the better choice. Or do something crazy like a Falcon?

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/7/14 10:21 p.m.

Well, I THOUGHT I had decided to swap a miata or m42 into my MGB-GT next year.

With this post, the SVT sitting in front of it in the driveway is looking tastier and tastier. Maybe the SVT stays together though, it would be a shame to take that car apart just to pair the motor with a vauge old chevy t5. non-svt Zetecs are cheap, and I'd like to get my British on by fitting motorcycle carbs.

Now, do you have a rear-sump oil pan solution too?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/14 11:01 p.m.

so, you're saying I could put that Zetec in my 1966 Impala?

oh my!

petegossett
1/8/14 3:23 a.m.

In reply to rcutclif:

Aftermarket oil pans aren't cheap for a Zetec. The 2 I've seen available were each around $500(I'm thinking they're both front-sump anyway?). For that price, if you can swing another grand $1500 will buy a dry-sump setup, which eliminates the problem of the stock oil pump destroying its self above 7000 RPM, allowing you to hit 8k or above.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
1/8/14 6:04 a.m.

I take no credit for the clever bit, just figured there would be love for it over here and passsing it on.

The person discovered this during a Zetec MGB swap. They do mention an oil pan mod that ook 15 minutes.

MustangSix
MustangSix Reader
1/8/14 6:43 a.m.
rcutclif wrote: Well, I THOUGHT I had decided to swap a miata or m42 into my MGB-GT next year. With this post, the SVT sitting in front of it in the driveway is looking tastier and tastier. Maybe the SVT stays together though, it would be a shame to take that car apart just to pair the motor with a vauge old chevy t5. non-svt Zetecs are cheap, and I'd like to get my British on by fitting motorcycle carbs. Now, do you have a rear-sump oil pan solution too?

Wow, it's been an age (4 years ago??) since I last logged on to the GRM forum. I'm glad that so many found the Zetec bellhousing info useful. Thanks for linking that, NOHOME.

The MGB Zetec Swap is pretty well discussed at Focus Fanatics. We also used Kawasaki bike carbs on that build as well. Ignition is with Megajolt/EDIS.

The pan mod I did on the Focus windage tray was to cut the unneeded ears off the sides for starter clearance. If you need a rear sump, take a look at the Contour/Mystique pan. That's what I'll use on the next MGB we do.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
1/8/14 7:17 a.m.

After staring at the '00 Focus Zetec I have on the engine stand, I came up with one possible solution. Now I should preface this with, I have not done this and it might not actually work.

Take the wings off the cast upper sump. Take off the bottom stamped steel sump and make plate to cover the hole in the cast part. Get a 4 cylinder Duratec/MZR oil pump and devise a way to run it off the front of the engine as an accessory (just like a normal dry sump pump). That is easier said than done, but I'm sure someone on here could do it. Maintain the original Zetec oil pump (upgrade if necessary to the CFM 8000 RPM). The Zetec pump will provide oil to the engine and the suction will get piped from the inside of the cast upper sump to a bulk head fitting at the side of the sump. This continues from the other side of the bulk head fitting to the oil reservoir outlet. The duratec pump get it's own oil pick up from the side of the cast upper sump and pumps it to the oil reservoir.

Here's the duratec pump:

Any comments?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
1/8/14 7:20 a.m.

That is startling. Love the marine world (and yes, your avatar, nohome). Great info, this makes the Zetec a lot more attractive.

MustangSix
MustangSix Reader
1/8/14 8:03 a.m.

The windage tray for the Contour and the Focus are dimensionally the same and differ only in some detail. The lower pan and pickup are different.

This is a Contour pan. The front of the engine is to the right in this photo.

This is a Focus pan. Again, the front of the engine is to the right.

Either pan will interchange onto the focus windage tray as long as you use the pickup that goes with it. Both pans end up being slanted a bit with the right side lower than the left, but the Contour piece gives you several more inches of clearance.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/8/14 8:21 a.m.

So, now Zetec is a possible answer in the "What else can we stuff into an Exocet" discussion? Nice

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/8/14 8:51 a.m.

I have looked through most of your thread before from MGEXP, great build!

I had been scared off by all the transmission work you had to do though, now this seems quite feasible to me (and cost effective!)

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/8/14 9:10 a.m.
petegossett wrote: I've considered putting mine into a an early Fox notch, or a Mustang II. But I think a Pinto/Bobcat would be the better choice. Or do something crazy like a Falcon?

Your post made something click... Zetec into 2-door Falcon wagon. I need that in my life now.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/8/14 9:12 a.m.

OMC Cobra 2.3 Bell Housing Adaptor Plate 0914081 is the PN for the part.

Just in case. I noticed some of the links on the other page were out.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/8/14 9:14 a.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to t25torx: I've considered putting mine into a an early Fox notch, or a Mustang II. But I think a Pinto/Bobcat would be the better choice. Or do something crazy like a Falcon?

Falcon?!?!?!?!

Do It!!!

MustangSix
MustangSix Reader
1/8/14 9:19 a.m.

I love early Falcons and have owned a few of these as well as the related early Mustangs. The engine swap is the easy part. Falcons need a lot of work to correct the poor suspension and steering in addition to the scary, tiny, 9" drum brakes....

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
1/8/14 9:38 a.m.

What he said. Piss off the purists and stuff that Zetec into something better:

RossD
RossD PowerDork
1/8/14 10:26 a.m.

I was/am looking for a nice Pinto/Bobcat/Mustang II or a Maverick/Comet to shove it into. Or an old Capri...

Even a Fox body with a turbo Zetec or ITBs would be neat.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
98xD1kuVacJOKo5vKPXpOFFFSj3IC8u95qOzgMYN1q1M3ry68Cv4ae1VSJ1Q3z8N