_
_ Dork
1/14/20 5:09 p.m.

That's the fancy transmission fluid that is supposedly the "holy grail" for NC transmissions. Local dealer said $39.99 PER QUART. Wtf. No. Amazon has it for about $27 a quart. Is this crap REALLY worth that much? 

Shadeux
Shadeux Reader
1/14/20 5:12 p.m.

Yeah, I put this in my NA when I changed it. At the moment I can't remember where I bought it, but hang on...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/14/20 6:42 p.m.

Toyota isn't much better.  Their latest stuff is $$$. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/14/20 6:44 p.m.

$16/qt plus shipping at rock auto.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/14/20 6:54 p.m.

Look at it this way - if it's synthetic, you'll probably never have to change it again. 

No complaining about the price of fluids unless you have a V8 Miata track car. Trans fluid has about a 4 hour lifespan.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
1/14/20 6:57 p.m.

Find a friend at ford. I buy it for $14.xxqt from my brother in law. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/14/20 7:30 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Look at it this way - if it's synthetic, you'll probably never have to change it again.

See, now that is the upside of transmissions that have lifespans measured as single-digits events.  You don't have to worry about changing transmission fluid ever!

I like the BMW procedure for at least one generation of SMG transmission.  Apparently the fluid they use costs $60/liter.  Even at the dealership level, when you have to service something inside the trans, the procedure is to strain the drained-out fluid through a filter and re-use it.

(Haldex juice also costs $60/liter, but the system only holds half a liter at very most)

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
1/14/20 7:40 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

Two abbreviations I need help with (i feel kinda dense here ... a lot!)

OP mentioned NC trans. , and you say you use it in your NA;

what is NC and NA in this reference?

DJP

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/14/20 7:41 p.m.

First and third generation Miata. 

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
1/14/20 8:07 p.m.

Thanks. No experience with miatas at all... yet!

I’m a former hot rodder / scooter nasty, but have a close friend from the 80’s did some scca with his alfa’s . I just got interested in this forum this year, and just found out the local auto cross club near me (Dothan) just stopped having events... 5 miles away! That’s my usual timing!

love y’all’s attitudes here. 

Sorry for the short hijack, But Now, back to your regular programming...

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
1/14/20 8:43 p.m.

Quit your day job and go apply at the nearest parts supplier. $13 for me.

_
_ Dork
1/14/20 11:08 p.m.

In reply to TopNoodles :

Ha! How hilarious would that be. Interview, get the job, first day buy a ton of 

stuff. Put in your car and drive home, never to return.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB HalfDork
1/15/20 1:02 a.m.

Is this the 'Ford Honey'? I heard so much about this stuff years ago and when I bought it at the Ford dealer they were surprised I was actually putting it in a Ford since all the Honda people were buying it.  So only a tiny improvement for my SVT Focus to the point that I called Redline a few months later for a replacement and that was a night and day difference. But my Getrag was still way short of my old Miata transmission on shift quality. 

Shadeux
Shadeux Reader
1/15/20 4:51 a.m.

Took me awhile to find where I bought mine, but I hit the easy button and got it from Amazon. 3 quarts for $90.

I'm hording the 1/2 quart I have left. laugh

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/15/20 6:50 a.m.

The trans fluid for my X type was something like $90 a quart. Amsoil had a substitute that worked fine. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
1/15/20 8:12 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

It's a crazy world when you buy amsoil because it's the cheaper option.

therieldeal
therieldeal Reader
1/15/20 8:55 a.m.

Not sure how much you need but the Amazon price for 3 quarts is a bit better at $64 total.  I actually just ordered this on Monday... transmission in my Mazda3 takes 3.01 quarts, so that worked out nicely.

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
1/15/20 9:08 a.m.

All you guys posting about buying it at <$15 must not have bought any lately... I work at a dealer, and it cost me $19/qt. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/15/20 9:54 a.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

Some dealerships buy from sources like Worldpac because it is cheaper than getting some things through the dealer network.

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
1/15/20 12:28 p.m.
Saron81 said:

All you guys posting about buying it at <$15 must not have bought any lately... I work at a dealer, and it cost me $19/qt. 

2 years ago. Might be more expensive now, but $19 is still less than $39.

sergio
sergio Reader
1/15/20 12:33 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to Saron81 :

Some dealerships buy from sources like Worldpac because it is cheaper than getting some things through the dealer network.

That's where I got it from. We buy from them at work. Used it in my Speed3, I think it was $15/qt. 

Gixser68
Gixser68 New Reader
1/15/20 12:40 p.m.

I'll second RockAuto. Just purchased 4 quarts two weeks ago for $ 78.21 delivered with tax.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
1/15/20 4:26 p.m.

I tried the Ford stuff in my 2nd gen Miata.  Not enough difference between that and the Redline I had in it before to notice.

Lifetime fill on transmission fluid is a bit misleading.  It will last until your transmission fails at the end of its life from the transmission fluid wearing out.

Our Preferred Partners
6KbLyekQNlbxedinGlRhvLw64xtVaiT0ItN4BsZZFgQyq7Ct6lSVSeCh8duYVLzh