BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
5/12/15 11:32 a.m.

I'm probably going to get some General Altimax all seasons for the BMW so I don't have to drive around all summer on the Blizzaks it came with. Before I do that I figured I'd ask you all if you have any other suggestions for a good value for money all season/summer tire? Wet traction is a priority, based on the amount of rain we had last year.

Mustang50
Mustang50 New Reader
5/12/15 11:41 a.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen44: I have had good luck with the General Altimax on my Mustang. They are good in the rain and light snow.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
5/12/15 12:36 p.m.

Which Altimax tires are you looking at, the HP or RT? They are definitely different tires.

I've been running the HP on my Miata daily driver. Good summer tire, if a bit harsh. Very predicable and calm in turns even when sliding. Not bad in the rain. Awful if a snowflake falls within 100 miles.

I think I ran the RT some years ago. As I recall, I thought it was a squashy wallowing pig of a tire.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
5/12/15 12:45 p.m.

What size? TireRack has a clearance 225-45-17 Yoko S34PV for $68 each. I bought a set a few months ago for my e46 and am pleased with performance and ride.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
5/12/15 12:48 p.m.

Looks like Tire Rack only has the RT in the size I'd need (185/65 r15.)

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
5/12/15 2:06 p.m.

Yea, Tire Rack seems determined to drop anything 15" and below.

Check places like ebay, walmart and sears believe it or not. All three routinely beat TireRack on tires like these in sizes like these.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
5/12/15 4:50 p.m.

I have had good luck with www.tirebuyer.com
The site is American Tire Wholesalers. These are the same guys who deliver to your local tire store (and here, deliver to Walmart too.)
On most purchases, they charge no shipping if you have them sent to a store they deliver to already. No sales tax for the tire price since the sales are completed online.
If I can combine no shipping and no tax, I usually save $50 - $100 compared to walking into a shop locally.

In the size you need you can get Kuhmo Platinums for $410 (for 4) and that is out the door, mounted, tax, everything

I have these tires on my wife's Mazda5 and I like them alot.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
5/12/15 5:15 p.m.

I like the sumitomo tires on my Z. They were pretty cheap iirc

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
5/12/15 9:13 p.m.

Continental ExtremeContact DW summer tires are affordable and are the best tires in the rain. Since you have a BMW and winter tires, skip all seasons; they wouldn't be as valuable to you, IMO. g-Force Sport COMP-2s should be another really good option.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
5/12/15 10:10 p.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: :snip: g-Force Sport COMP-2s should be another really good option.

I have the them on the MS3 right now, recommended them to my father for his Miata, he likes them quite a bit as well.

The only thing I've seen with better reviews in that category are the Michelin Pilot Supers and they're quite a bit more expensive.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
5/13/15 6:30 a.m.

Sumitomo HTR-Z. Great budget summer performance tire

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
5/13/15 7:46 a.m.

Just put a set of Uniroyal GTZ's on the V for $130 each, mounted & balanced. Seems like a pretty good value for a 245/45/18. Ride is super quiet, good reviews, though the sidewall definitely feels mushy compared to the Eagle GT's I had on it.

Was shopping for the Sport Comp 2's but these were in-stock and $30/ea cheaper.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
5/13/15 8:46 a.m.

I have Toyo Extensa HP's for street tires on the FX. NOT good in the rain. Avoid it.

I like Toyo Tires and have always had good experiences. Have Versado LX's on the Buick and Versado CUV on the Highlander and those are really nice tires.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
5/13/15 9:46 a.m.

I have the Discount Tire-exclusive Yokohama YK580s. They're pretty good.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
5/13/15 10:00 a.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: Continental ExtremeContact DW summer tires are affordable and are the best tires in the rain. Since you have a BMW and winter tires, skip all seasons; they wouldn't be as valuable to you, IMO. g-Force Sport COMP-2s should be another really good option.

Do they make little 15 inch Conti. summer tires?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/13/15 10:22 a.m.

GT Radial Champiro UHP1.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
5/13/15 10:28 a.m.

Many people don't like the Hankooks.

I find then quite acceptable on my Fiesta , even in a "gulley washer".

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
5/13/15 11:34 a.m.

Federal 595?

Its a hot tire with the lemons peeps.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
5/13/15 1:31 p.m.

Screw it. I ordered some closeout sale 16" wheels with the Continental ExtremeContact DWs. It's nice to have an extra wheel/tire set around anyway. I guess that's what my Dad has had on his SVT Focus for years and he loves 'em.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Ps. I didn't mind the new "mobile friendly" Tirerack website at all

spandak
spandak New Reader
5/13/15 2:55 p.m.

I have Goodyear Eagle GTs on my E36 and Im pretty happy with them, especially for the cost. In my experience they are very good in the rain and pretty decent in the dry. Tire life is good too.

Jamey_from_Legal
Jamey_from_Legal New Reader
5/13/15 4:01 p.m.

Second vote for Sumitomo HTR-Z's. I have used them as cheap track tires for a heavy car for a couple HPDE seasons now. They give something up from the usual suspects (Direzza Star Specs, Advan AD08s, Nitto NT01) but they are a good budget alternative.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
5/13/15 4:23 p.m.

I was browsing the web and found a website with insanely low tire prices.

simpletire.com

Has anybody used them or know anything about them?

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
5/14/15 8:03 a.m.

They don't make ExtremeContact DWs in 15", but not many summer tires are available in 15" that aren't Miata tires.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mg1xRMaraRSL0qVSOImE0CRhPq8P4MNEMql5IW3R1MNfOsHwIAXHHIITHOxZoHHh