Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/17/18 7:31 a.m.

I'm prepping the 740i to be sold. It has the normal 21 year old car issues with interior panels, but otherwise a solid car (transmission has been serviced when we replaced the torque converter, tires  and brakes are less than two years old)

Here's the plan:

• Refresh the suspension (already have the parts)
  • Reinstall factory headlamps
  • Repair the intermittent rear driver door lock issue (have the parts, I think)
  • Fix the infamous BMW seat twist issue (all labor)
  • Replace passenger door handle (have the parts)
  • Ship the cluster off for pixel repair ($170)
  • Replace the Wheel sensors  - ABS/TCS lights are on ($330)
  • Top off trans fluid (lost some fluid due to a bad o-ring at the cooler)
  • Bleed the brakes, check fluids, etc

The clear coat is nearly gone on the roof, hood, and trunk. Should I get an el cheapo paint job or nah?

I'm looking to price it around $2.3k after getting all the hard parts done. Unless . . . Some GRMer wants an AWESOME daily with a truck load of parts and doesn't mind turning a wrench . . . We can work out a deal! wink

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
2/17/18 7:49 a.m.
Strike_Zero said:

I'm prepping the 740i to be sold. It has the normal 21 year old car issues with interior panels, but otherwise a solid car (transmission has been serviced when we replaced the torque converter, tires  and brakes are less than two years old)

Unless . . . Some GRMer wants an AWESOME daily with a truck load of parts and doesn't mind turning a wrench . . .wink

and the answer is?

imgon
imgon Reader
2/17/18 7:53 a.m.

My experience in selling cheap cars is that every dollar spent is typically a dollar lost. What are your state rules on private party sales? If they are easy just do the minimum to make it saleable.  If the repairs that are labor only are reasonably easy then do them to make the car as presentable as possible. List it for a little more than you really want and take the first close offer and wave good bye to it. GLWS

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
2/17/18 7:56 a.m.

In reply to imgon :

Agreed.

I myself would probably do a few of the easier things but not the more complex things and price accordingly.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/17/18 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

Any GRMer who wants it with the parts, PM me. We can work out a price.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/17/18 11:23 a.m.

In reply to imgon and ebonyandivory :

Coolio! I've marked off the el cheapo paint job.

Everything else is pretty easy to get done. Labor time is a couple of weekends.

I have do the wheel sensors since the ABS depends on it and the E38 braking system wigs out a bit. The pixel problem affects reading the odometer. IMO, those two things would probably affected the price more than anything.

Already plan to price it a bit high and close offer for it to get gone.

Thanks for the feedback!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/17/18 3:49 p.m.

I added pics of the paint, front bumper damage, and interior panel. The link is in the first post.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/18/18 2:17 p.m.

For your enjoyment . . . or interest wink. . . Here's the inventory of parts I have for the 740:

Engine:

• Knock Sensors (2)
  • Coolant Pipe O-rings (4)
  • Water Pump Gasket
  • Valley Pan Gasket and Cover

Front Suspension:

• Center Link
  • Tie Rods (2)
  • Sway Bar Bushings (2)

Rear Suspension :

• Sway Bar Links (2)
  • Sway Bar Bushings (2)
  • Integral Links (2)
  • Control Arms (4)
  • Ball Joints (2)

Exterior:

• Passenger Door Handle
  • Factory Head Lamps

Interior:

• A-Pillar Clips
  • Emergency Brake Handle
  • Cabin Air Filters (2)
  • Driver side window regulator
  • Door lock actuator (Used)
  • Extra gauge cluster
enginenerd
enginenerd Reader
2/18/18 2:31 p.m.

In my area, you can find a sub $2000 740i all day long. As awesome as they are, this is one of the few cars that I couldn't justify fixing up purely to sell. I'd try selling as is with the parts and if you don't have any bites start fixing it up with the parts you already have and update the listing. 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
2/22/18 7:49 a.m.
enginenerd said:

In my area, you can find a sub $2000 740i all day long. As awesome as they are, this is one of the few cars that I couldn't justify fixing up purely to sell. I'd try selling as is with the parts and if you don't have any bites start fixing it up with the parts you already have and update the listing. 

After talking it over with a fellow BMW nut, he thinks you would be able to get the money you want if you fix some of the issues. I would  be interested but I prefer a manual for this car as does he. GLWS. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/22/18 9:49 a.m.

market is all over the place for E38s, with no easily distinguishable pattern of what separates a $1k car from a $5k car.   to the OP, yours is a nice looking example.  GLWS.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/22/18 3:47 p.m.

AngryCorvair is right about E38s. Super clean "looking" cars have transmission or timing chain guide issues while some with cosmetic issues will drive you across the country.

A lot of the parts I have (engine and suspension) are "while you are in there" parts. I didn't want to sell the car for the low and have a box of parts that I would have to sell separately.

I'll post it up in the $20xx forums. I would rather deal with someone here than CL/Let Go/eBay.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/22/18 4:09 p.m.

US bound E38s were all automagic . . . I may have my E34 for sale some time this year . . . Those pics are old as I've replaced the hood and fender . . . and it is manual smiley

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/23/18 8:37 a.m.
Strike_Zero said:

US bound E38s were all automagic . . . I may have my E34 for sale some time this year . . . Those pics are old as I've replaced the hood and fender . . . and it is manual smiley

Ohhh, I do like that!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bkvCgWfLDWnmmIzl0Bruu9mhKVfY3MGPOEGAekMSf0ojyN57ptjmLbCPUO8Rmrnl