benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
4/22/09 3:02 p.m.

In the last few months my car has developed a noticable clunk going over steep bumps and tight fast turns coming from the passanger side rear suspension. I just pulled the tire and took a look at the suspension and the rear subframe bushings are still intact but 30years old. So I then went and looked at the shock, and noticed a very little bit of oil down at the bottom, I think it has a small leak. I was able to duplicate the funky clunk by pushing down hard on the rear passanger side. It sounds almost like a loud metallic creak which may be cause by excess suspension travel which allows a large rubber body stop to hit control arm.

Does anyone have any idea of a better way for checking the shocks?

This is in anticipation of a 1000mile run to San Diego around mothers day. I wanted to do highway 1 at sunrise for a good run between monterey and morro bay. I was going to do it around Christmas but the damned car was overheating.

Thanks for any suggestions folks!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/22/09 3:05 p.m.

the only way i know to check shocks/struts is push on it and if it takes more than one rebound to stop moving then its bad... but this is not the most accurate or scientific

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
4/22/09 3:19 p.m.

A leaking shock is a dead shock.

Kramer
Kramer Reader
4/22/09 4:25 p.m.

What Salanis said.

However, I remember seeing some magazine article, from many years ago and another magazine, that had a home-built shock dyno. It was pretty neat, even though it had its shortcomings. But it was definitely grassroots.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
4/22/09 5:19 p.m.

I guess I'll have to bit the bullet and get a set of rear shocks either before I go or right after. It isn't bad on the highway just over slow speed bumps. Thanks for the insight, I was hoping to get another 30years out of the shocks and rubber bits, but I guess not.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/22/09 5:46 p.m.

Replace them, all four. I just did the front struts on the RX-7. Wow what a difference!! It drives like new now. I didn't think they were bad before and only replaced them because the top of one blew out. They didn't bounce more than once so I figured they were doing the job. I have since replaced the ones on my work van, they had 350000 miles on them. Made a big difference on it too.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
4/22/09 5:51 p.m.

The fronts were done a couple years ago when mercedes replaced the subframe under a recall. I cannot even tell what type of shocks they are, they are covered in muck. I think I'll be buying some, and this gives me a reason to finally rewire the rear speakers, I have to take the car half apart.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aIb7WsUEdU8VBbzKExXFWvrsfom9XJDFVERvpxtQJIlBOS8XZg4TfKIn74rDwt75