KATYB
KATYB Dork
3/4/19 4:47 p.m.

Teach me what do I need to know about this little engine. I knew the l u v pretty well at least enough to know that I never want to own one everything I have seen and experienced with the le2 is a lot better but still need to know

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/19 6:21 p.m.

In reply to KATYB :

I can’t answer your question, but I saw a turbo 5-speed Sonic listed for $3500 this weekend that appeared to be in good condition, so I’m rather intrigued myself. 

KATYB
KATYB Dork
3/4/19 6:38 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

At that price my guess would be that it was a l u v. I think the le2 didn't come out until 2016y

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/19 6:56 p.m.

Holy hell Katy i was just wondering where you ran off to!

KATYB
KATYB Dork
3/4/19 6:57 p.m.

In reply to Patrick I've been off improving my quality of life

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
3/4/19 8:30 p.m.

I have an LE2 in my 2018 Cruze. Mine is an automatic, was hard to find any manuals around at the time. Pretty peppy engine up to about 3/4 throttle, at WOT it feels as though there is quite a bit of torque management going on. Enough that as you ease off the throttle, it picks up a bit. Tuning would most likely get rid of that, supposedly able to get 200 hp with a tune. Mine is under warranty, so it will be a while before I do anything like that.

Took a while to get used to the start/stop feature, not so bad now. Gas mileage is good, I can get as high as 43 mpg at 55-60 mph, drops back to the rated 38 mpg at highway speeds (70+ mph).

KATYB
KATYB Dork
3/4/19 8:39 p.m.

In reply to 81cpcamaro :

Pretty much what I'm finding so far. Warranty be damned as soon as I can afford a proper tune I'm going for it. Not because of the power(alot of people report better mpg from tune and the shift logic is horrible. How many miles do you have now? Oil consumption or carbon issues with the direct injection?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
3/4/19 10:05 p.m.

I have a bit over 12K miles, no problems with oil consumption or carbon issues so far. 

I agree, shift logic is a bit weird, shifts quickly 1st through 3rd, then takes longer between shifts in 4th through 6th. 

KATYB
KATYB Dork
3/4/19 10:17 p.m.

In reply to 81cpcamaro :

The delay from 1st to 2nd drives me nuts. I even had issues with it otherwise other than shifting at times where I don't think it should be shifting. Short-shifting or over revving for no reason

KATYB
KATYB Dork
3/4/19 10:17 p.m.

Although with that said I only got eight hundred and seventy miles at this point. Give me time though it'll go up very fast

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
3/4/19 10:46 p.m.

I won’t be nosy and ask where you’ve been but I will say it’s good to see you back!!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/5/19 6:37 a.m.

Good to see you back.

From what has come up on other threads, you may want to look into some of the tuning secrets that are popping up in DM cars. Sounds like people are using this powertrain for that class now.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
3/5/19 6:55 a.m.

I can't comment on the newer ones but my 2014 Cruze has about 165k miles on it with minimal issues.  A cracked plastic thermostat housing and the pcv valve twice. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/5/19 6:56 a.m.

I have no experience with this engine and had to google what it is.  I did see this.   

https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/377-gen2-powertrain/215202-trifecta-2016-cruze-1-4t-le2-october-2017-calibration-update.html

Opti
Opti Dork
3/5/19 1:01 p.m.

I had a thread about the GM 1.4 and its competitors about a month ago. The 1.4t was getting a lot of love. I really like them.

As far as maintenance/repairs, Ive seen a bunch with cooling problems, that stem from leaking tstat housings, a hose connector (thats been updated), and reservoir bottles, once youve fixed those they seem to be pretty reliable.

Also the diaphragm in the cam cover will leak causing a bunch of codes, but it will literally whistle at you when it starts leaking so its pretty easy to diagnose and the whole v/c is like 120 bucks from GM

NickD
NickD UberDork
3/5/19 1:13 p.m.
Opti said:

I had a thread about the GM 1.4 and its competitors about a month ago. The 1.4t was getting a lot of love. I really like them.

As far as maintenance/repairs, Ive seen a bunch with cooling problems, that stem from leaking tstat housings, a hose connector (thats been updated), and reservoir bottles, once youve fixed those they seem to be pretty reliable.

Also the diaphragm in the cam cover will leak causing a bunch of codes, but it will literally whistle at you when it starts leaking so its pretty easy to diagnose and the whole v/c is like 120 bucks from GM

That's the old LUV/LUJ motor, which was the port-injected 1.4L turbo from the Opel Family 0 engine line. That is a great engine. The LE2 is a whole different beastie, from the SGE engine line that doesn't share a single component with the LUV/LUJ/LUW. Honestly, the SGE engine family does not impress me. Can't count how many of the 1.5L variants I've seen in the '16+ Malibus that get into stochastic pre-ignition and blow the tops off of pistons just in regular operation.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
3/5/19 8:47 p.m.

KATYB, with everyone welcoming you back, thou we've never met, but having just read your 'signature' I must say you go 'girl'!!!! 

KATYB
KATYB Dork
3/8/19 10:15 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I'm of the opinion that the auto stop is what causes the petition issues people getting right into it instead of letting the engine start before hitting the gas

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
3/9/19 8:50 a.m.

The pistons were redesigned in mid-2017 for the 1.4L, because of the problem. Problem is LSPI (low speed pre-ignition) which damages the piston crowns. Problem is that is close to where the engines are most efficient. Guess you can't have the best of both worlds.

Best thing is to get the car to downshift one gear and get the engine speed up some. I usually do this on hills where I am going less than 60 mph.

KATYB
KATYB Dork
3/18/19 8:28 p.m.

In reply to 81cpcamaro :

So far if pids are to be believed I've yet to have any issues. I will be running Amsoil oil however once the first oil change comes up. As far as fuel economy I've been averaging about 34.8 during work which I'm a delivery driver for pizza so that's actually pretty decent. And then on the one long trip we took although only 300 miles total we did average 41 1/2 miles to the gallon and that was doing 65 to 75 the entire time. I did try one tank of 87 octane that was a mistake. It was not happy really really sluggish rough idle just not happy. I think I'm going to stick with 89 and 91 when temps are above 80° so 7 months out of the Year 91

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ck7spmngdQROxOVgYwHigZO9MpxxTooGAGZy4S1mq7P04kz7AOCGoeyAyF9Wnacs