1 2 3
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/5/15 2:40 p.m.
feature_image

Car manufacturers talk a good game when it comes to their “performance divisions,” but few can back it up with the actual hard parts and racing knowledge. Chevy Performance, however, talks the talk and walks the walk: They can actually provide the parts to turn your Camaro into a machine that can attack the track as well as the …

Read the rest of the story

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/5/15 2:50 p.m.

3908 lbs according to Chevy's website for an SS1 package normal base car. It might be heavier than the Colorado. They are damn impressive... like watching a 250lb stripper work the pole but I wish they would cut out about 750lbs before they spend anymore money on power or bigger anything. Bring lots of tires and brakes with you when you go. It's going to gobble them faster than an M5.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
5/5/15 3:05 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: ...I wish they would cut out about 750lbs...

I wish they would cut 2000 lbs. I really miss light cars.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
5/5/15 3:06 p.m.

How much longer you think it will take for manufacturers to realize a 4000lb car is slower than a 3500lb (or less!) car?

Edit someone else is thinking the same.

I can hear them now "you know what would make our sports car even better? Heated leather 37 way adjustable seats, satnav, back up beepers and even more traction/stability control nannies!"

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/15 3:21 p.m.

You can not have the Camaro whooping it up on the Corvettes and thus it will never be made faster then it. Also I bet that 90 percent of the Camaros that are actually sold are going to be V6 cars with bloated option packages.

That said the first thing that they should work on reducing is the price. I was at a local Chevy dealer and they 15 or so of them on the lot with 4-5 V8 cars. All the V8 cars were listed over $50K and several well over $70k. Chevy needs to figure out how to make performance affordable again. Chevy always was the working mans car that when asked could still lay down the wood. The new Camaro can probably run with some of the best cars on the market but it has got far away from being affordable by the everyday driver.

5/5/15 3:22 p.m.

In reply to JohnyHachi6:

Well, me too... but I was trying to be practical. A 3200lb car can have a lovely interior with all the bells/whistles, safety and all that stuff... and go a berkeleyload faster with the same engine. A 1900lb car really needs to be bare bones beyond what most people (except you and I ;)) consider reasonable.

I quite honestly can't figure out where all that weight could be coming from. What luxo crap did they add that a 2005 BMW E46 M3 didn't have? THey must have had to work to make it that heavy.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/5/15 3:52 p.m.

For perspective, my 1970 ford 4x4 weighs 3950. That's a really porky sports car.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/5/15 3:56 p.m.

My 1966 Galaxie convertible is 3800 lbs! That thing is 18 ft long.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/5/15 4:03 p.m.
chiodos wrote: I can hear them now "you know what would make our sports car sell even better? Heated leather 37 way adjustable seats, satnav, back up beepers and even more traction/stability control nannies!"

Fixed that for you.

D2W
D2W New Reader
5/5/15 4:05 p.m.

I have a 2011 SS Camaro. For a 3900 lb car it is ridiculously fast and corners on rails. If it only weighed 3000 lbs it would be scary fast. Why does it weigh so much? Frankly its a big car. IF it is sitting next to my 67, which weighs 3100, it is longer, wider and taller. And the inside seems smaller because of all the crap they stuff in there. The next generation is supposed to be built on a smaller platform so lets hope it weighs under 3400.

P.S. It will eat the 400 Hp 67's lunch all day long, and will easily get 24 mpg cruising at 75.

D2W
D2W New Reader
5/5/15 4:08 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
chiodos wrote: I can hear them now "you know what would make our sports car sell even better? Heated leather 37 way adjustable seats, satnav, back up beepers and even more traction/stability control nannies!"
Fixed that for you.

Unfortunately that is the truth

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
5/5/15 4:21 p.m.

Diesel Colorado??!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
5/5/15 6:04 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Diesel Colorado??!

Not Yet

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/5/15 6:07 p.m.

My personal metric rears its ugly head.

Heavier than my Cherokee? Not a sports car.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
5/5/15 6:36 p.m.

Driving to rallycross this weekend I was tailing Nick in his e28 5-series in traffic. For a while he was cruising next to a new Camaro on the highway, and it was amazing to see how the e28 looked like a freaking subcompact next to the Camaro. I knew they were big, but seeing them next to what is considered a good-sized sedan from 25 years ago really drove the point home.

I know they're heavy because they're big. What I don't understand is why they simply can't make the body smaller. It's not like the interior is roomy or big. It's not like you can't fit a V8 into a smaller car (hell, people fit them in Miatas). It almost seems like someone at GM said "hey, we want to make a new Camaro with 20" wheels, so can you guys make the car big enough so they won't look totally silly?"

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
5/5/15 6:41 p.m.

get aussiesmg started on the interior of those monsters

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
5/5/15 6:44 p.m.

Talking about how cars are bigger today. It hit me last year at a local cruise night/car show when I saw a early 90's FOX Mustang LX parked next to a late model Mustang GT. The FOX looked small next to the newer car yet I owned 3 of them and never felt like it was to small. Yeah, your not going to put 4 adults in the car and take a long trip but I don't think you would want to do that in the newer model either. And of course there is that weight thing. A V8 FOX weights 3100-3300 while the newer one is about 400-500 lbs heavier which compared to the Camaro doesn't look that bad.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
5/5/15 8:06 p.m.

Any new car looks porky when set side by side with it's ancestors. Park a 70s 911 next a current one, or an original Taurus and a current one, pickups,etc.,etc. With crash standards doors are thicker, resulting in a choice between a narrower interior, or a wider car. They're going with wider. GM won't be building a smaller Camaro, although they may try putting it on a diet , like the new F-150 did.

5/5/15 8:08 p.m.

I kinda want to stuff the new one's running gear under a 71 RS with a tube chassis. So, you know, normal Chevy customer here

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
5/5/15 8:41 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
HiTempguy wrote: Diesel Colorado??!
Not Yet

Must be an aluminum trailer they are using, the Colorado is only rated to tow something like 6700lbs. Take off 3900lbs for the car, 2k lbs for a 18' steel trailer, and you have 800lbs of capacity. Throw a spare set of rims/tires (200lbs) two people (400lbs) and tools and you are lucky if you aren't over capacity. But I digress :P

5/5/15 8:47 p.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

Or, put two 'Merica type Camaro owners in the cab and you got nothing left for tools and tires.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
5/5/15 8:54 p.m.

Chevy is still trying to figure out how Buick kicked there beloved corvettes' rear end back in 1987 ! See, we'll just make it heavier and then it'll be just like a GN !

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
5/5/15 8:56 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: In reply to HiTempguy: Or, put two 'Merica type Camaro owners in the cab and you got nothing left for tools and tires.

Merica type Camaro owners would never own this sissy-mobile, get real man. My stats are accurate, only wierdos from the PNW or from Florida would tow with this thing

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/5/15 8:58 p.m.

Today when I picked up my rental car I had a choice of a Toyota Sienna or a Camaro convertible. I'm driving the Minivan. The current Camaro is way too large for what I think they are supposed to be that I simply have no interest in them no matter how fast they make them go. I have an E-150 if I want o drive a big vehicle. I thnk my WRX is a big car, but it looks small next to a lot of new cars.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
5/5/15 8:58 p.m.

My mind is stuck on that 250# stripper working the pole......

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TycWfKKecut6PpVP0h9bkyzMl3ccqwauVuZwyz431R3qxgGiLHepGrUkJAdalBiL