Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
11/28/12 6:03 p.m.

I'm looking for new wheels for my 03 Suburban 2500. The stock 8 lug wheels (16x6.5) are pizza cutters, and with the tires needing replacement before the winter really hits, I figure that it is the right time to upgrade to 17" wheels as well. I've already ordered tires, LT265/70-17, to replace the stock LT245/75-16.

I had planned on using some Hummer H2 wheels, as they fit fine per many many internet reports and pictures, and are a big upgrade to 17x8.5.

Locally, as in right here in my town, I found a set of 17x7.5 8 lug wheels from a 2008 Silverado 2500HD LTZ. He's selling them cheap, and they are in new condition. The guy selling them said he tried to use them on his 2000 Silverado, but they rubbed on one side only.

I did some calculations about offset, backspacing, etc, and both the H2 wheels and the LTZ wheels will both be about 1/2" closer on the inside.

Had anyone used the LTZ wheels on a 2000 - 2006 generation GM Truck? They are rare, the only pictures I can find online are on lifted trucks, which changes things a bit.

Here are some specs that I've found:
Stock: 16x6.5 +29 offset, backspace 4.875"
LTZ: 17x7.5 +28 offset, backspace 5.4"
H2: 17x8.5 +18 offset, backspace 5.46"

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
11/28/12 6:19 p.m.

are you asking about looks or fitment?

all of those wheels are designed for the same 3/4 ton chassis, but the H2 wheels will stick out a little more.

i don't know what the LTZ wheels look like, but if they are the ones i think they are- 5 wide flat spokes- i'd personally avoid them in favor of something else, but i find the H2 wheels to be even fuglier.. so i guess i'm not really very much help..

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
11/28/12 6:42 p.m.

My question is fitment. I didn't think there would be a problem with them, until the seller told me they wouldn't fit on his truck, which is the same generation. I'm wondering if his truck was bent in some way so that they didn't fit on one side, as from everything I can tell, they should fit OK.

I don't particularly care how they look, really. You are thinking of the correct wheels, wide flat 5 spokes. I think most aftermarket truck wheels look like crap, so I'm getting something OEM and cheap.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
11/28/12 6:53 p.m.

i prefer the older aluminum wheels- the ones use on the 99-early '00's 3/4 ton trucks.. but those are only 16's. been trying to find a set of those to put on my crusty and rusty 87 GMC to make you not notice the missing rocker panels because the blingy wheels draw the eye away, but everyone seems to think they are made out of pure gold judging by the way they price them and i'm not 100% sure they'll even fit my truck..

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
11/28/12 7:08 p.m.

Are these the ones that you like?

If so, that's what's about to be removed from my truck, and I would certainly make you a GRMer fair deal on them.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
11/28/12 7:25 p.m.

yes, those are the ones.. but i don't actually know if they fit the old solid axle trucks, and don't really feel like spending money on my truck at this time. but Dorman does make a lug nut that would allow me to use the hub caps so there has to be some fitment possibility there... if the deal's good enough i might give it a shot..

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
11/28/12 7:45 p.m.

I would trade you straight up for a set of new take off 17x8" Dodge steel wheels with the chrome skins, but shipping would be a killer.

That said Dodge has the same bolt pattern but a bigger center hole, and they went to 17s as standard earlier. Maybe keep an eye out?

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
11/28/12 9:42 p.m.

ive seen the h2 wheels on your gen trucks without issues, diesel trucks especially

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
11/29/12 11:27 a.m.

I have seen Hummer wheels on an older, mid `90s Chevy 2500. Seemed to be driven fairly regularly.

Powar
Powar Dork
11/29/12 1:27 p.m.
Sonic wrote: Are these the ones that you like? If so, that's what's about to be removed from my truck, and I would certainly make you a GRMer fair deal on them.

I like these a lot. They'd look good on my new old Suburban 2500 diesel. What would you like to get out of them?

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
11/29/12 7:35 p.m.

In reply to Powar:

Honestly, I hadn't even thought about it. $300+ shipping for a GRMer? Open to offers so that I don't have to deal with the local mouthbreathers that I would get from putting them on CL.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
11/30/12 12:59 a.m.

the average for those wheels on the Craigslists around here is about $500 with bald tires, $400 bare... i almost bought a set with newish tires on them last summer for $150 but i couldn't make the time to drive the 120 miles to get them and they were gone the next day..

Powar
Powar Dork
11/30/12 8:04 a.m.

I hadn't realized they actually had any value. The rally wheels on the Suburban just got a lot more attractive.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zEYs0CQJHIoNSqVFxs3YZ7EVwgFklKZuD6LzSsLFFjKjuxMLFdkJYBiWxw2DEd0W