1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
11/1/16 2:52 p.m.
feature_image

Chevy unveiled quite a few concepts at the 2016 SEMA Show last night, but one in particular caught our eye: It's a Camaro concept built specifically for autocross.

The new Camaro Turbo AutoX concept combines the LTG 2.0L turbocharged engine with their new SG3 performance suspension package, upgraded brakes, air intake and exhaust system. We think it's pretty awesome that …

Read the rest of the story

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
11/1/16 2:59 p.m.

Same day as Ferd, releasing their GT4?

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
11/1/16 3:20 p.m.

Color me... very surprised. GM has been on a roll lately, but I never expected anything aimed at autocross. Of course it's just a concept, but someone over there knows what the purple crack is.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
11/1/16 3:32 p.m.

Does the logo on the Camaro say "Auto-X"? I seem to remember a magazine by that title. The owners of that title might be owed a royalty fee. Go tell your boss.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/1/16 3:38 p.m.

Back in the day (well, 2003 to be precise) Pontiac showed some "Autocross" concepts at SEMA: GTO, Sunfire, Grand-Am and a Vibe, I believe.

I don't have a ton of our images from that year handy, but here's one that I grabbed from our files:

DSCN8758

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/1/16 3:46 p.m.

I can haz? It's like a domestic Gen coupe.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
11/1/16 4:59 p.m.

You should really mess with the GM guys... go over to their booth and start asking them what rallycross rubber would fit.

Will
Will UltraDork
11/1/16 5:46 p.m.

Is there top-tier rubber (RE71, etc.) available to fit those wheels? Or will 19s clear the brake package?

I'm curious to see how SCCA classes a car marketed specifically for autocrossing.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/16 5:47 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Back in the day (well, 2003 to be precise) Pontiac showed some "Autocross" concepts at SEMA: GTO, Sunfire, Grand-Am and a Vibe, I believe. I don't have a ton of our images from that year handy, but here's one that I grabbed from our files: DSCN8758

Fun fact: about the only thing to see the light of day from that was the GTO Auto X grills.

Stock:

Auto-X:

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
11/1/16 7:22 p.m.

I wonder what the Camaro weighs? And who would have thought we'd ever see a 2 liter Camaro?

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
11/1/16 7:39 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

Do the iron duke thirdgens count? Those were 2.5L, but not crammed full of boost.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/16 7:43 p.m.

Still with the high belt lines and tiny windows. It's like being swallowed by a whale.

Here's hoping it makes a good engine donor.

Will
Will UltraDork
11/1/16 7:59 p.m.

Serious question, if any of the GRM guys can run it by GM: given that we've seen new Camaros deploy side airbags during autocross runs, did they tinker with that system to make deployment less likely during high-G cornering?

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/1/16 8:18 p.m.
Will wrote: I'm curious to see how SCCA classes a car marketed specifically for autocrossing.

That will be directly proportional to how much advertising & sponsorship GM provides.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/16 8:31 p.m.

Any product aimed at enthusiast pursuits out of an automaker is a good thing. I'm betting that the parts that make this package aren't available from the factory outside of a Chevy Performance, add them at the dealer kind of thing.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/1/16 10:22 p.m.

Special autox version with 20" wheels? If it were built by an autox-er, it would wear 18s

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
11/2/16 6:19 a.m.

Pretty cool. Any word on potential production/sale of this package? It may be in the article, but reading on my phone, so I may have missed it.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
11/2/16 6:46 a.m.
Will wrote: I'm curious to see how SCCA classes a car marketed specifically for autocrossing.

Straight to the exclusion list.

Thank you for your input.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/2/16 7:15 a.m.

2 liter weight up front on factory 285s sounds like fun but I also have to wonder about tire availability in that size. I've never had cause to check before.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/2/16 7:55 a.m.
Will wrote: Is there top-tier rubber (RE71, etc.) available to fit those wheels? Or will 19s clear the brake package?autocrossing.

Was wondering the same thing myself; I was thinking it might make sense to downsize to 18" wheels if they'd clear everything. Still looks like it would be a great daily driver and autocross car if the suspension lives up to its billing.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
11/2/16 8:04 a.m.

I'd be pretty curious to see how this package compares to the 1LE package offered on the v6 cars.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/2/16 8:08 a.m.

If they would only offer this for under $30k....

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
11/2/16 8:12 a.m.
Matt B wrote: ...but someone over there knows what the purple crack is.

Um - the show car is wearing Goodyears.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/16 8:36 a.m.
Run_Away wrote: Special autox version with 20" wheels? If it were built by an autox-er, it would wear 18s

And it wouldn't have bigger brakes...smaller brakes might make more sense for autocross.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/16 8:36 a.m.

Great idea, I hope they do it and that SCCA doesn't class it in with the V8. I'd love to see an AutoX Sonic and Cruze as well. I mean, if you are of modest means, either makes sense. Offer them with the better suspension and bracing, slightly more HP and adjustable dampers and summer-only tires. Then you could drop the kids off at church, crank the damper knobs to stiff, and hit the autocross.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5VJurfn87ECX65EP801fLFNlUb0YZfje2H2z7dPqLrcmR4SI7uS8PEnv8AVciznT