1 2 3 ... 5
alleykat
alleykat New Reader
12/3/13 3:33 p.m.

I have been lusting after a RX8 for a while. The low torque and awful gas mileage have kept me in my E36 until now. But this new kit from V8Roadsters might be a winner. No pricing or details announced but it looks promising. Apparently they are developing LLT and LFX kits for the MX5 and RX8 and adding a LS series kit for the RX8 too. They already have LS series swap kits for all generations of MX5.

The GM LFX looks like a badass little engine with small dimentions. The weight of the LLT/LFX is supposedly less than the Mazda bp.

The only possible downside I see with the LLT/LFX into the RX8 might be a shift up of the center of gravity because of the OHC configuration.

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?7582-NEW-from-V8Roadsters

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
12/3/13 3:54 p.m.
The only possible downside I see with the LLT/LFX into the RX8 might be a shift up of the center of gravity because of the OHC configuration.

That would ruin it. It would handle just as BAD as an NC miata!!

A salvaged car can be obtained for a little more than a high end turbo kit

Oh, only 7-8k, then?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
12/3/13 5:52 p.m.

I would do it, but then the annoying part is having to mount some custom speedo/tach/gauges/idiot lights etc. I rather like the stock gauges in the RX-8.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
12/3/13 5:58 p.m.

So have you driven a rotary at all, or are just going by hearsay?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/3/13 6:22 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: I would do it, but then the annoying part is having to mount some custom speedo/tach/gauges/idiot lights etc. I rather like the stock gauges in the RX-8.

Yeah, I will be interested to see how they deal with the CAN bus system.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/13 6:44 p.m.

Honestly I don't know why Mazda has been so pigheaded about this car. With a lightweight, 300 HP V6 and a slightly wider track with flares, the RX8 would be flat badass. But they had to stick with the rotary to the bitter end....

t25torx
t25torx Reader
12/3/13 7:48 p.m.

I just want to stick one of those in my 91 Camaro.. haven't seen a kit for that yet.

alleykat
alleykat Reader
12/3/13 9:40 p.m.

In reply to JtspellS: I love rotaries and have driven several. They are awesome on the track. I do not want one without boost in a 3000 lb car.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/3/13 11:02 p.m.
bgkast wrote:
clutchsmoke wrote: I would do it, but then the annoying part is having to mount some custom speedo/tach/gauges/idiot lights etc. I rather like the stock gauges in the RX-8.
Yeah, I will be interested to see how they deal with the CAN bus system.

i read rumors that GM was going to offer that engine as a standalone crate motor at some point..

alleykat
alleykat Reader
12/3/13 11:35 p.m.

323 hp, 278 ft lb torque, 72oo prm redline, and 30 mpg in a 3000 lb car that is on rails. If I can build one for less than $15k, I'm all over it.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/4/13 12:16 a.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

Yes, but the Mazda also has integrated systems. Radio, climate control, gauges, etc I believe.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/4/13 1:05 a.m.

I have a cheap RX-8 shell available for somebody who wants to try this. Oh, wait, now I want to try this.

As for the CAN BUS: http://www.canbusauto.co.uk/9.html

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
12/4/13 2:56 a.m.

I'm intrigued...not many people messing around with direct injected engine swaps so far, which is a shame. I'll be following this!

Bryce

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
12/4/13 8:03 a.m.

I'll take your renesis off your hands...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/4/13 8:11 a.m.
alleykat wrote: 323 hp, 278 ft lb torque, 72oo prm redline, and 30 mpg in a 3000 lb car that is on rails. If I can build one for less than $15k, I'm all over it.

Should be more like a 2800lb car. Or less, if the V6 happens to be lighter than the Renesis as well.

Not bad.

Or for less money, work, and hassle, you could make similar numbers on the Renesis if that's your bag.

I still like this swap, though. I'd never do it, but i appreciate that it exists or soon will exist.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/4/13 8:13 a.m.

I likey.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/4/13 8:23 a.m.

I can't imagine the V6 is less weight than the Renesis/Trans. It's probably within 50lbs however.

I think it's a neat swap. Seems like the Camaro donor makes sense (Assuming the ECU integration is relatively straightforward). What is the Kit price? They indicate ~8K for a donor car. I would think if you would be looking at ~12K plus the RX-8 shell for a finished car that seems pretty ok. You can get a pretty nice condition RX-8 shell for $3-5K so $15-17K for a 300Hp, 2800lb, RWD car with 4 decent sized seats and those chassis dynamics seems very interesting.

alleykat
alleykat New Reader
12/4/13 8:30 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One: "Or for less money, work, and hassle, you could make similar numbers on the Renesis if that's your bag."

I am going on hearsay now, but I have heard the Renesis is not boost friendly. I can't help but think the lfx would be bullet proof. Especially since it would be stock. This engine would also swap nicely into an E30 or E36.

From what I have read, the MX5 kit will use the engine, transmission, and differential from the Camaro. Evidently, all manual Camaros come with a LSD as standard equipment. That is a nice bonus.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/4/13 8:32 a.m.
alleykat wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: "Or for less money, work, and hassle, you could make similar numbers on the Renesis if that's your bag." I am going on hearsay now, but I have heard the Renesis is not boost friendly. I can't help but think the lfx would be bullet proof. Especially since it would be stock. This engine would also swap nicely into an E30 or E36. From what I have read, the MX5 kit will use the engine, transmission, and differential from the Camaro. Evidently, all manual Camaros come with a LSD as standard equipment. That is a nice bonus.

I'd say it's probably mostly heresay. 323hp wouldn't take much boost at all. Usually when you see statements like that, it's when people are disappointed that they can't reliably make 500hp on stock unopened motors.

In terms of power, the RX8 is more boost friendly than a 90-05 Miata. Chew on that for a moment or two.

But as i said... i like the swap, i'd like to see someone do it. I just don't see the value in terms of dollars and hassle in it just yet.

alleykat
alleykat New Reader
12/4/13 8:42 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One: "In terms of power, the RX8 is more boost friendly than a 90-05 Miata. Chew on that for a moment or two." I might need a beer with that ;)

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/4/13 9:31 a.m.

You might be surprised at the weight. I was looking at the 3.7 liter ford ecoboost display at the auto show and was amazed at how compact it was. Stripped of the Turbo stuff, it's not hard to imagine an all-Aluminum v6 weighing less than a rotary.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/4/13 9:32 a.m.

Boosting a renesis and you still have a renesis. Something about turds and polish?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/4/13 10:14 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Boosting a renesis and you still have a renesis. Something about turds and polish?

That analogy is lost on me. You've seen my cars.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/4/13 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

More rotary trash talk? I thought we were beyond this. Everybody thinks their own poop doesn't smell. How is that Accent sale going, Bobzilla?

alleykat
alleykat New Reader
12/4/13 10:32 a.m.

In reply to kreb: "You might be surprised at the weight"

I have no doubt the weight of a NA LFX is less than a boosted Renesis. My primary concern is where that weight is located. The Wankel is very low in the chassis and I am sure that contributes significantly to the car's handling prowess.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0j5cboZY0ysuEqFig2wFfUQGoumXiEEbqbIA9rBWQpA0e6nWWNbrdJFzvc9SZvj4