1 2 3 4 5
weedburner
weedburner New Reader
12/4/13 10:51 a.m.

Wankle package's CG is not that low overall. The eccentric shaft is up in the middle of the engine, so the transmission/flywheel/clutch are located higher than behind a piston engine.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
12/4/13 10:58 a.m.

In reply to weedburner:

okay now we are just grasping for any straw now.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/4/13 11:03 a.m.
weedburner wrote: Wankle package's CG is not that low overall. The eccentric shaft is up in the middle of the engine, so the transmission/flywheel/clutch are located higher than behind a piston engine.

The total package is still lower down. Something something about being half as tall.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/4/13 11:11 a.m.

When I had my RX8 and was looking for more power, I searched all over to find a decent cost to performance turbo kit.

It seems like you are going to pay about 3 - 4K for about 50 hp. Not worth it in my opinion.

Maybe in the last 3 or 4 years they have made strides in that area. I believe the big culprit was the port arrangement on the renesis.

Rob R. P.S. I LURVE rotary engines! I have 3 or 4 in my garage!

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
12/4/13 11:15 a.m.

I think people wringing their hands about COG height of the drivetrain are being goofy.

Next time i see an NC miata thread i expect to see all of you present and accounted for, complaining about how the 'weight' being 'up high' of the OHC piston engine is really holding back the handling.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/4/13 11:18 a.m.

Actually... i'm having a hard time finding off the shelf Rotrex kits. Is this not a thing and i was just hallucinating?

jstancel
jstancel Reader
12/4/13 11:34 a.m.

These V6 engines at salvage yards are similar in price to their aluminum cousins LS1, L33, ect.

I would opt for the infinite aftermarket support of V8s over a V6 with minimal off the shelf parts.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
12/4/13 11:38 a.m.

Looks like an interesting swap. I wouldn't worry too much over the higher location of the weight. People fretted about that on the FD V8 swaps and it has proven to be a non-issue.

Pettit Racing used to have a supercharger for the RX8 but I can't seem to find it (or anything else for that matter) on their crappy website.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
12/4/13 11:47 a.m.

In reply to amg_rx7:

its only for the 4 pt rene and that engine is poop.

alleykat
alleykat New Reader
12/4/13 12:14 p.m.

In reply to jstancel: "I would opt for the infinite aftermarket support of V8s over a V6 with minimal off the shelf parts."

I agree with that logic. I am going to wait to see how their V8 kits look too. I am in no hurry.

BTW - I also like the Vorshlag E36 LS swap kit. I just think an RX8 is a better chassis.

In reply to Vigo: "I think people wringing their hands about COG height of the drivetrain are being goofy."

I suspect you are correct. I would want to drive a well executed example before I laid out my cash.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/4/13 12:20 p.m.

I still would prefer an LR4 with cam/LS6 intake swapped RX8, but I'll gladly buy one of these from someone for half what they paid for it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/4/13 12:22 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: More rotary trash talk? I thought we were beyond this. Everybody thinks their own poop doesn't smell. How is that Accent sale going, Bobzilla?

Don't be a dick. I didn't say "rotary", I said Renesis. While I don't like the Rotaries personally, the Renesis is poop. Seriously... flooding issues in a car built in the 21st century. Massive oil consumption? Really? And the gas mileage.... for what?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/4/13 12:23 p.m.

Those are "issues," rather characteristics of a rotary.

They're problems only to people who view cars as appliances and are unwilling to treat different cars differently.

Driving short distances without letting the motor warm up is bad for any gas engine. Rotaries just have more direct way of telling you that you suck at cars.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/4/13 12:26 p.m.

No, they're problems for people that use their cars and don't want stupid E36 M3 to constantly fix on a $30k new car. If it was an older car that had been abused, fine. I'll fix it. But on a new car? No thanks.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/4/13 12:33 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: No, they're problems for people that use their cars and don't want stupid E36 M3 to constantly fix on a $30k new car. If it was an older car that had been abused, fine. I'll fix it. But on a new car? No thanks.

You can use a car without abusing it. What constitutes as "abuse" to one car might be different than the next. Treat it right and the "stupid E36 M3" is greatly decreased.

Turbo cars require different treatment than n/a cars, yet you and i have talked a few times lately about boosting that Accent you have laying around. Sounds like you wouldn't be willing to deal with it after the fact.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/4/13 12:53 p.m.

The accent isn't a $30k new car now is it? Why don't we keep comparing that apple to some more rocks.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/4/13 12:58 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: The accent isn't a $30k new car now is it? Why don't we keep comparing that apple to some more rocks.

LOL.

Ok so what's the MSRP cutoff in which it's ok to have to treat a car as something other than a soul-less appliance? And when neither car is being made anymore, why does MSRP matter? My MX6 would be over $40k today MSRP account for inflation. Is it unacceptable to have to let the turbo cool after driving before shutting down to avoid coking, simply because it was an expensive car 25 years ago?

This is a seriously stupid discussion.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/4/13 1:03 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: The accent isn't a $30k new car now is it? Why don't we keep comparing that apple to some more rocks.

The 8 isn't either. Most of them are 9 year old $8000 cars.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/4/13 1:07 p.m.
bgkast wrote:
The 8 isn't either. Most of them are 9 year old $8000 cars Needing an engine.

True.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/4/13 1:18 p.m.

Hey, mine has at least 5000 left in it.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/4/13 1:22 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Don't be a dick. I didn't say "rotary", I said Renesis.

I thought the smiley face would indicate the lack of malice. Sorry if I hit a touchy spot; I probably should have known better than to bring the trouble selling the Accent into it. I hope it sells around tax time.

The RENESIS was a complete redesign and they hand built the engines. Some of the first generation cars had serious issues. Inadequate oiling and what was possibly poor quality control were the causes. Mazda really should have known better, but I think everybody there wanted to get another Wankel out of the door so badly that they rushed it a bit. The S2 cars don't have those issues, but the damage was done.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
12/4/13 2:18 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Those are "issues," rather characteristics of a rotary. They're problems only to people who view cars as appliances and are unwilling to treat different cars differently. Driving short distances without letting the motor warm up is bad for any gas engine. Rotaries just have more direct way of telling you that you suck at cars.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
12/4/13 2:35 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
alleykat wrote: 323 hp, 278 ft lb torque, 72oo prm redline, and 30 mpg in a 3000 lb car that is on rails. If I can build one for less than $15k, I'm all over it.
Should be more like a 2800lb car. Or less, if the V6 happens to be lighter than the Renesis as well. Or for less money, work, and hassle, you could make similar numbers on the Renesis if that's your bag.

I see a number there the Renesis isn't going to make.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/4/13 2:43 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
alleykat wrote: 323 hp, 278 ft lb torque, 72oo prm redline, and 30 mpg in a 3000 lb car that is on rails. If I can build one for less than $15k, I'm all over it.
Should be more like a 2800lb car. Or less, if the V6 happens to be lighter than the Renesis as well. Or for less money, work, and hassle, you could make similar numbers on the Renesis if that's your bag.
I see a number there the Renesis isn't going to make.

MAybe with the key off, coasting down Pikes Peak.

calteg
calteg Reader
12/4/13 2:53 p.m.

I'll be keeping an eye on this. I have an LS1 in the garage that was destined for a 240sx, but depending on how much this kit costs, the RX8 would be a much better option

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h6NtEwSYJnhumQdVAbqnKyRO748kK5SHsB5YLY7KdP3M8oGsgnn58mqPz8jCoeQH