David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/26/17 2:24 p.m.

Hachi-rokus.

Hakosukas.

Mangos.

If those nicknames conjure up images of classic Japanese machines, then you were in the right place, this year’s Japanese Classic Car Show. It was held September 23, once again within sight of the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California.

Want to see even more from the show. We posted photos on Instagram, too.

David S. Wallens
9/26/17 2:46 p.m.

If you're coming here from the message board, click the "Read the rest of the story" link for all of the photos. Fun show. Lots of cool cars. Not sure how I feel about seeing cars that I once owned and/or drove being considered classic. My parents had an '84 Accord--same colors as the '85 that I photographed. They had a Corona, too, way before Japanese cars were common on Long Island. Good times, good times. 

HapDL
HapDL New Reader
9/26/17 4:45 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Ha!  Talk about old!  I bought a 1977 Honda Accord brand for new, and that was my 3rd brand new car.  So how much of an old crock does that make me? 

BTW, that Accord was the best and worst car I owned up until then, it was a great fun driver but what a piece of crap it was.  Two complete body jobs (fenders, door, hatch, paint both times), 6 brake jobs, a broken front coil that went through a tire, 3 cams and 6 years later it was done with no floor left in it.   Love/hate defined.

mtgawesome
mtgawesome
9/26/17 6:37 p.m.

What type of car is the car in the first photo that is in the background of the photo and is bright yellow?

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project New Reader
9/26/17 7:24 p.m.

In reply to mtgawesome :

The 370Z?

Thank you for the pictures! That black Cosmo is mmmmm, or should I say "Hmmmmmm"

David S. Wallens
9/27/17 12:25 a.m.

Yep, that yellow car behind the 510 is a 370Z Heritage Edition. I spent some time with one last week. Fun ride. 

Info and stuff: https://www.nissanusa.com/sportscars/z-coupe/versions-specs/version.coupe-370z-heritage-edition-black.html

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
9/27/17 2:19 a.m.

Awesome pics! I think that 787b is actually a 767b ... That's what I saw it says on the lower front of the car. I was hoping they would start it but I'm sure the city of Long Beach wouldn't be happy about it...laugh

David S. Wallens
9/27/17 7:30 a.m.
driver109x said:

Awesome pics! I think that 787b is actually a 767b ... That's what I saw it says on the lower front of the car. I was hoping they would start it but I'm sure the city of Long Beach wouldn't be happy about it...laugh

Doh,  you're right. We'll fix.

Yeah, they remained quiet. Probably a good thing for the people of Long Beach. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/27/17 11:49 a.m.

That red 77 Skyline...hnnnnggh. 

David S. Wallens
9/27/17 3:02 p.m.
Appleseed said:

That red 77 Skyline...hnnnnggh. 

Yeah, for sure. There were a lot of cool cars there. Maybe it's because I got there two hours before the gates opened, but I felt like I had enough time to take in everything--like, it wasn't a rushed day. I'd totally go back. Hope everyone's enjoying the photos. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
9/29/17 11:54 a.m.

thanks for this! The only vintage car shows we see in detroit are muscle cars, would love to visit one of these one day.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
9/29/17 12:48 p.m.

G nose on a land speed racer? As a z enthusiast, I cannot approve.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
9/29/17 1:27 p.m.

I don't think that Delica is an 85. It's awesome as well as all the other cars shown, but I don't believe the aero headlights started until 91. That Plymouth/Mitsubishi Arrow is awesome!!

David S. Wallens
9/29/17 4:05 p.m.
Mazdax605 said:

I don't think that Delica is an 85. It's awesome as well as all the other cars shown, but I don't believe the aero headlights started until 91. That Plymouth/Mitsubishi Arrow is awesome!!

Hmmm, maybe the nose was updated? The entry sheet stuck on the Delica’s dash says 1985. It also notes that that's the original snorkel. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
9/29/17 6:22 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Mazdax605 said:

Hmmm, maybe the nose was updated? The entry sheet stuck on the Delica’s dash says 1985. It also notes that that's the original snorkel. 

Could it be some shenanigans going on with the owner registering it as an 85 to get past some draconian CA smog laws. I think that body style of Delica started in 86 anyway, so I highly doubt it's an 85. Also, non-sliding rear windows, but rather pop outs are a dead giveaway that it's a 91 or newer. I'd bet my bottom dollar it's not an 85. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MiEvHfx4PlLTdJqM96ISW0xfwCQDgL8WYipWSO6GFr351hnyaBgJEQ6I5DsntDf1