1 2 3 4 ... 6
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/27/15 1:31 a.m.

The rule of no windshield is tough. Even Iron Butt motorcycle riders hide behind a fearing.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
11/27/15 1:34 a.m.

I imagine some creative hood bending / flap airfoil could alleviate some wind. Heated seats would be a must...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/27/15 1:50 a.m.

I'm pretty sure the Green CRX is a former GRM Challenge car that wore the same green chalkboard paint at the Challenge.

Luke is also the master mind owner of Wagon Attack. https://youtu.be/q7ZzqBPz4sY

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/27/15 2:26 a.m.

Some average temp research suggests Temps from 29 - 59 degrees at the Chicago start line. 45 degrees is probably a good estimate on April 1st. http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Illinois/Places/chicago-temperatures-by-month-average.php

Some wind chill info

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/27/15 2:30 a.m.

Easter is Sunday March 27, 2016

The launch party is Thurs March 31st in Chicago.
Starting Line Friday April 1st.
Awards Monday April 4th in Miami.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/27/15 5:55 a.m.

I helped with a hotrod show in Illinois that took place the second weekend in October. We had guys come from as far away as Minnesota and Manitoba in open top roadsters. It can be done.

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch Reader
11/27/15 6:35 a.m.

the Chop top CRX was indeed a 2009$ challenge car, yup. it was the "parts car" we dragged along to play with and be backup for our crx "gutty", which didn't need any of the parts from the choptop afterall, which was nice. Luke also spearheaded the civicSTI challenge car, with the Subaru 555 livery, and Subaru front end

wilcoxl
wilcoxl New Reader
11/27/15 6:56 a.m.

Ha! "Mastermind". You guys are funny. My brother and I did the Challenge last year the same first week of April. It was absurdly cold at 75 mph. I wore all my snowboarding gear.

wilcoxl
wilcoxl New Reader
11/27/15 6:57 a.m.

Yeah we are responsible for the 555 replica that was at the 2014 challenge.

555_front_noheadlights

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/27/15 7:10 a.m.

No wind shield is the hard part. I wonder if my FIL will sacrifice his yard art MB S series. MIL wants it gone.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
11/27/15 9:20 a.m.

I'd like to see a K car made to look like the one from Planes, Trains and Automobiles after the fire.

Another good idea is a Buford T. Justice car.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/15 11:27 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote:
pimpm3 wrote: This may be the answer for Andy's Q45. Big and ridiculous... Check Should not be a roadster... Check Already missing its rear window... Check Room for several people... Check We need to make this happen
Sign me up for a seat on this ride. Really. Heading from York, PA to the start line in Chicago will require traveling within 8 miles of my house. Jeremy can fly north, we'll pick him up. I suspect there could be a rusty 1990 BMW 750iL at the start line too. I must say, April 1st is pretty optimistic weather wise. Still really cold anywhere nOrth of Tennessee. Retail of more than $50k gets 500 bonus points. The Q45 and the 750iL both qualify. Heck, the 750iL almost qualifies twice! V12 in BMW is worth another 200 bonus points!

With that many bonus points how can I say no? Plus, its pretty much what I wanted to do with the 750 from the beginning anyway...

I'll see if I can recruit my usual trusty co-pilot.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/15 8:39 p.m.

Soo, here's my question right now.

Once we are in Miami, are people flying home? Turning around and driving back?

Same question for people traveling to Chicago for the start I guess. How are you getting there?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
11/28/15 9:03 p.m.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
11/28/15 9:06 p.m.

This one still had a windshield, but otherwise would be a great theme.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
11/29/15 11:53 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote:
pimpm3 wrote: This may be the answer for Andy's Q45. Big and ridiculous... Check Should not be a roadster... Check Already missing its rear window... Check Room for several people... Check We need to make this happen
Sign me up for a seat on this ride. Really. Heading from York, PA to the start line in Chicago will require traveling within 8 miles of my house. Jeremy can fly north, we'll pick him up. I suspect there could be a rusty 1990 BMW 750iL at the start line too. I must say, April 1st is pretty optimistic weather wise. Still really cold anywhere nOrth of Tennessee. Retail of more than $50k gets 500 bonus points. The Q45 and the 750iL both qualify. Heck, the 750iL almost qualifies twice! V12 in BMW is worth another 200 bonus points!

I'm going to pretend like I haven't seen this thread. The problem lies in having a salvage title, I would need to get it fixed then chop the roof off.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/29/15 12:03 p.m.

Why is a salvage title an issue?

It's not going to have any value once you chop the top off anyway.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/29/15 12:16 p.m.

gotta get a rebuilt title to get plates, and by the time you do the work to get that inspection, you're in too deep.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/29/15 12:18 p.m.

MD will issue a 30 day tag prior to inspection. Just saying...

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
11/29/15 12:29 p.m.

I'm willing to donate the car to the event. Will need wheels with tires that hold air, and the power steering fixed if you plan to turn.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
11/29/15 2:00 p.m.

I have a dealer tag, but I need to run it by the lot owner. We would need to insure it somehow, my buddy doesn't want the liability.

Does it have to have a real glass window? Slap some plexiglass in and get it inspected.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/29/15 2:21 p.m.

I will have to look into the Ohio rules; can I get an Ohio temp tag that allows us to actually drive a salvage car temporarily?

At the end and with title in hand, I imagine scrapping the car in Jacksonville and flying the rest of the way home (or returning via Hertz one way rental from Jacksonville.)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/29/15 2:31 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

If you had a friend in GA, it would be really easy to send him the title, and have him send you a tag.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
11/29/15 7:06 p.m.

I ran it by the wife and I officially have the green light. Also my friend from California is in as well...

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/29/15 7:19 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I will have to look into the Ohio rules; can I get an Ohio temp tag that allows us to actually drive a salvage car temporarily? At the end and with title in hand, I imagine scrapping the car in Jacksonville and flying the rest of the way home (or returning via Hertz one way rental from Jacksonville.)

nope, you get a salvage rebuild inspection appointment, and your paperwork for that allows you to drive plateless to and from the inspection. they're kinda strict. we rebuilt an s10 and the hood had been replaced sometime in the first 18k miles with a used one, so the vin sticker didn't match the truck and there was no receipt. officer trooper inspector gadget said if he didn't believe that we were telling the truth that it has to have been replaced sometime in the first 18k miles of life prior to it's history in the family, he could have taken the truck.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qPDofrsJ0nnBkz6KK3m8vi1LuqLJEu8RiOnQpLIscUgYVC7pp3FwpxGMN3mS8ANA