NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/5/11 4:32 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Yes Really if you have a car do both

exactly, ding ding, or use the same car

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/5/11 5:13 p.m.

Does LeMons require a bit more "creative" decorating.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/5/11 5:21 p.m.

....and the penalties are different. With chumpcar, the guys who get the people's curse might be able to keep racing.....if they bring enough money to outbid everyone else when their car is auctioned, that is.

If you can't bear the thought of your car getting crushed, chumpcar is probably better.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/5/11 5:23 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: If you can't bear the thought of your car getting crushed, chumpcar is probably better.

Crushing is extremely unlikely anymore at Lemons since the rules change.

The defining difference as I see it

Do you want to do "real" racing - chumpcar

Do you want to have a stupid good time and run a car on the track while you are at it - Lemons

Chump takes itself slightly too seriously for me and rubs me the wrong way but it fills a void for alot of folks.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/11 5:30 p.m.

Chump car is a race where a party breaks out.

Lemons is a party where a race breaks out.

There is no peoples curse in Lemons anymore. Chump car will only auction your car if you're cheating very, very badly. Otherwise, both series will just add penalty laps to penalize cheaters (or in the case of Lemons, those that can't bribe well)

btp76
btp76 Reader
2/5/11 5:37 p.m.

I've done both. I like the LeMons people much better. There are things I like about Chump. Do both. Pick a favorite.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
2/5/11 6:12 p.m.

I've done both. I like Chump Car much better. There are things I like about LeMons. Do both. Pick a favorite.

CarRacer
CarRacer New Reader
2/5/11 8:02 p.m.

Whichever track is closer to you. Both series are similar but have a few distinctions. I've run both and had a good time at both. If you just want to have fun and pass a few cars you'll enjoy yourself in either series.

barnca
barnca Reader
2/5/11 8:10 p.m.

lemons is coming to nhms.... ;;but i kinda like chumpcar.. a friend of mine wants to do up a car... so we will see... and im only 20 minutes from nhms.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/11 8:58 a.m.

I've done both.

Lemons is a fun if frustrating experience. You get the same competition with crap can cars so that's a riot. But you have to put up with frustrating, and in my experience, inexplicably assigned penalties with Lemons.

Example: Our car gets t-boned by a mustang. We have some sort of hours long penalty. We told the officiator the story. No dice. Mustang continues to race. Frustrating? Yes. Took some of the fun out of it? Yes. This is one example. There were others.

Queue the guys who start up with "You brought it on yourself!" etc BS. We, at the time, were polite and humble because we knew the judges get all high and mighty if you even start questioning their decisions. Even if you're right. After this incident we did talk sh!t and let them know how we felt. Prior to this we were choir boys. We figured if we were going to get penalized we might as well get penalized for doing something as opposed to being penalized for doing nothing.

Chumpcar is a fun, fun time. They're racers and treat the event as such. Minimum BS for us there. No penalties for having our car hit by another. Chump is run professionally and well. I'm sure some people have had a bad experience there but I haven't. Hell, maybe I'm the outlier for Lemons? Either way, my experience is what it is.

I'm the diametric opposite of Jthw8. I'll race Chump but I won't race Lemons. I like the seriousness of it in that I feel that the organizers of Chump want to see you on the track. While I wonder if Lemons is too busy thinking up creative penalities for pit side amusement.

My team won the IOE twice before anyone starts up with any "You don't KNOW the Lemons way" sillyness. We get it and we're evidently good at it. We just want to race and not get sidelined.

..and Lemons fills every race so there is no reason to change their officiating format for me. They're making cash each race. Their events are wildly popular. From the standpoint of a popular racing series, making enough cash to operate, and make it worth it...they're doing a lot right.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/6/11 9:16 a.m.

Only done LeMons but had a blast each time. I no longer take my racing as seriously as I used to and I don't really care to hang around those who do, therefore the 'Halloween meets gasoline' thing is my #1 objective.

So if it's as serious of a race as it's being made to sound then for me Chump Car might not fly. I have some buds going to Rockingham and I'll pick their brains when they get back.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/11 9:43 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Only done LeMons but had a blast each time. I no longer take my racing as seriously as I used to and I don't really care to hang around those who do, therefore the 'Halloween meets gasoline' thing is my #1 objective. So if it's as serious of a race as it's being made to sound then for me Chump Car might not fly. I have some buds going to Rockingham and I'll pick their brains when they get back.

What do you mean "don't take racing seriously". We came in 10th.

Having only done Lemons I can't comment on Chump Car. But I'm with the Curmudgeon. Taking a Lemons race seriously will only piss you off. If you are more into the fun and hanging out with a bunch of fun people, Lemons is great.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
2/6/11 9:44 a.m.
barnca wrote: lemons is coming to nhms.... ;;but i kinda like chumpcar.. a friend of mine wants to do up a car... so we will see... and im only 20 minutes from nhms.

if this ends up happening or you need more people to motivate it happening and you need another wrench/driver/spectator let me know. i'm in school at nhti now but i'd love to get involved and my schedule probably wont hurt too bad.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/6/11 10:01 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Taking a Lemons race seriously will only piss you off. If you are more into the fun and hanging out with a bunch of fun people, Lemons is great.

Exactly, we like to think of Lemons more as BABE rally for beginners. Its all about the people you meet and the fun you have.

Lemons is just shorter and the cars all go round in circles instead of out on the highway.

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
2/6/11 11:43 a.m.

Speaking of LeMons, are any GRMers attending/competing at Autobahn October 8-9?

The wife and I will be spectating for sure.

sergio
sergio New Reader
2/6/11 11:59 a.m.

I've only done LeMons, because the races are really close and our car is street legal. Taking all the glass out to compete in ChumpCar is not an option. The car sits outdoors 24/7.

I've been to one Chump race as a spectator. Everyone I talked to was having a good time and liked it. Most that had run both series liked ChumpCar better. Less black flags and no theme required.

So it seems like which ever series is closer is the one to race in. Lemons does put on more of a carnival atmosphere and the theme part must be done or they are more likely to penalize you for a lame theme.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
2/6/11 8:28 p.m.

I loved Lemons. I don't like taking anything seriously...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FANKumn69J0oPBOrx9Gbn9GwrK16gt1R6RgXo6SNDpYk6u9ai2LWrMPpHoTNVYlF