1 2
eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
1/25/17 3:41 p.m.

I'm on the east side of Cincy, and am working on a challenge project, and a few of my nearby-ish friends have been expressing interest in their own entries this year. There's got to be some others of us out there who are interested in building their own car, joining a team, or going to Gainesville to spectate. Anyone want to get together and help each other out on our projects, BS about challenge ideas, and cars in general?

I know I'm going to need all the help I can get when it's time to pull the drivetrain out of my donor car.

Cactus
Cactus Reader
1/25/17 6:36 p.m.

I'm in Dayton and I've got a couple BMWs that are priced right. Not sure I'll be able to compete if I accidentally turbocharge them. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's blowing a budget on my cars.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
1/25/17 6:43 p.m.

I have zero mechanical skills so I will fetch pizza and hold the shop light, etc.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
1/25/17 7:06 p.m.

Any help at all is great

I may see about having a get together in a week or two.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/26/17 7:40 a.m.

I'm about 1.5 hours north, but might be able to help out at times. Just need a few days lead-time.

wae
wae Dork
1/26/17 7:47 a.m.

Are you suddenly waiveing the requirement for expert knowledge of Celebrity Jeopardy?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/26/17 8:08 a.m.

1.5 hours west of there. Not sure how often you can drag me away from the Rice Rod, but I'll keep an eye on this thread. At the very least we should convoy down to Gainesville together. Ain't making that trip alone in one day again. Even in a comfy wagon.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
1/26/17 8:46 a.m.
wae wrote: Are you suddenly waiveing the requirement for expert knowledge of Celebrity Jeopardy?

I'd say its not so much a requirement, but it is highly encouraged. Much like knowing kung fu.

maschinenbau wrote: 1.5 hours west of there. Not sure how often you can drag me away from the Rice Rod, but I'll keep an eye on this thread. At the very least we should convoy down to Gainesville together. Ain't making that trip alone in one day again. Even in a comfy wagon.

Convoy sounds good. I think my plan as it stands right now (very possible it'll change), is to leave work on Wednesday evening, get to somewhere in Tennessee to spend the night, then get to Gainesville early-mid Thursday afternoon. Early enough to get a parking space at the hotel...

stan wrote: I'm about 1.5 hours north, but might be able to help out at times. Just need a few days lead-time.

No problem - with any luck the only time I'll want a bunch of help at once is pulling the Firebird's engine. It'll have to be done in the driveway on a slight incline, and preferably inside of one day, so we can have it at least partially pulled into the garage, so as many people as possible is good. Other than that, my garage is a little cramped, so we really shouldn't have a lot of people in there at once.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
1/26/17 8:52 a.m.

I'm on the east side of Cincinnati and may be able to lend a hand depending on my travel schedule.

I have always wanted to help out an a challenge car, so the motivation is high.

I also am a casual fan of Celebrity Jeopardy.

"I'll take swords for $400"

wae
wae Dork
1/26/17 9:20 a.m.

Famous mother's!? Why would they do that to me!

When are you thinking of pulling the lump?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/26/17 9:49 a.m.
Cooper_Tired wrote: I also am a casual fan of Celebrity Jeopardy. "I'll take swords for $400"

Excalibur. and now the truck has a name.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
1/26/17 9:53 a.m.

Engine is probably coming out sometime in mid-late Feb, depending on weather, and my ability to get the 4.3 sold, and out of the garage. I also need tom make sure you've fulfilled part of your bucket list and driven a third gen F-Body before we start tearing it down

Not sure on the truck's name yet - If Lot Lizard wasn't already taken, it's likely what it'd be called. As it is, team name is going to be Dead Lizard racing.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
2/14/17 8:37 a.m.

Tentative date is set for the engine pulling party - Saturday, Feb 25th. This is pending me getting some more work done in the garage, and the weather that day not being terrible, since we'll be working partway in the driveway. The plan will be to work on it all day, and anyone can drop by and leave whenever they want. More details as we get closer to the date, and the weather picture becomes more clear.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
2/22/17 7:34 a.m.

And of course, the weather forecast has continually gotten worse. I'm thinking at this point, the 1st or 2nd Saturday in March, if anyone can make it?

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/22/17 8:49 a.m.

Actually the March dates work better for me as I have a birthday party to attend this Saturday.

Just let us know.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
2/22/17 9:09 a.m.

You already know i'm in, for the sake of attending the Challenge if nothing else. You also know I'm the guy to spray paint stuff and hand a wrench and say "go take that apart". That's about it.

wae
wae Dork
2/22/17 10:16 a.m.

Next weekend is actually better for me, too. Strangely it's also because I have a birthday party obligation on Saturday...

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
2/22/17 10:24 a.m.

The extended forecast for Saturday, March 4 will be available tomorrow. As long as it isn't horrible, let's make it that day.

wae, would you be able to bring over your Easy Up, in case of inclement weather? Also, you don't happen to have a junky folding table, do you? I'm thinking it is may be better to have a bunch of tools laid out on a table than constantly digging for them in the toolbox.

wae
wae Dork
2/22/17 10:28 a.m.

In reply to eastsidemav:

I can do that. I do have a folding table that I can bring as well. It's not junky, but if we cover it with a blanket and tarp I should be able to get away with it so long as we don't set it on fire again.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
2/22/17 10:38 a.m.
wae wrote: In reply to eastsidemav: I can do that. I do have a folding table that I can bring as well. It's not junky, but if we cover it with a blanket and tarp I should be able to get away with it so long as we don't set it on fire again.

Good times

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
2/22/17 10:44 a.m.

It's a drive but I may throw my hat in as well. Saturday march 4?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
2/23/17 4:47 p.m.

Looks like the extended forecast for March 4 isn't completely horrible, so let's consider that the date, barring horrid weather changes.

I'll probably start around 8 AM, but anybody who wants to show up, feel free to arrive whenever. Food and drinks will be provided. If we manage to get it done early, y'all are welcome to hang out and bs, and maybe we can run out somewhere for dinner.

If you haven't been to my place before and need contact info, hit me up at central_command at yahoo dot com. Private messages don't always seem to work well.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
2/28/17 11:48 a.m.

Amazingly enough, the weather forecast is actually improving for Saturday, so yeah, I'm confirming this Saturday as engine pulling party day!

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
2/28/17 12:09 p.m.

Damn, I'm confirmed to start my first stint as a volunteer photographer for the Humane Society on Saturday. Plenty more parties coming I'm sure.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/28/17 9:07 p.m.

Get me the address. I will have to park my new wrx down the street so jerry wont see it. My plan, if you can call it that, is to strip naked, streak though your little clambake, then go home and relax. Is that ok?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H6viPPR6AisSwS3Ig25bl98wZztTygAMhHiT3IsoIHwUE4zvfI1EisaeEDEakQc3