1 2 3
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/23/19 7:38 a.m.
irish44j said:
docwyte said:

The no test drives thing kills it for me.  I went in 2008 to buy a car, mine had been totaled.  I was a cash in hand buyer.  I wanted to check out the STi and Evo X, both of which were new.  I went to the Mitsu dealer and handed my card to the sales guy.  Checked out an Evo and asked to drive it.  His response?  "Sign the sales contract and if you don't like the car, we'll tear it up."  Nope!!

Crazy that the porsche dealer had no issue tossing me the keys to a car that cost 2.5X as much without blinking an eye but I couldn't test drive an Evo or an STi.  Not gonna buy something without driving it first...

always go in and ask to drive something mundane and lame (like a regular Impreza). Then be like "hmm, maybe I could stretch for an STi" and they'll practically throw the keys at you trying to upsell. 

See the Focus RS is the only thing I've ever had a problem with. 

The same time I was shopping the RS (late 2017), I walked into the Chevy dealer that had an SS 1LE........with my helmet. "I want to see if I fit with my helmet in and take the car for a drive." He went and grabbed the keys and I took it for a spin. 

Then went to the Subaru dealer, same thing, and drove a brand new STi.

When I bought my Speed 3 years ago, at first we were looking to get my ex a new Mazda 3, I drove it and was impressed. I had been much less impressed with the 350Z I owned at the time (again, no problem getting a test drive in that). I asked if we could go drive the Speed 3......sales guy took me on this little loop they use. A nice deserted long piece of road where I could hammer it up through the first 3 gears, some nice twists and turns and back. We ended up going back and buying both Mazda's on the same day.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
5/23/19 9:27 a.m.

I wish they made one with the performance of the Type-R and the looks of the Si. I was holding out hope that something might slot in between but I doubt it. Maybe they can make an Accord Si or Type-R, I'd be okay with that too.

I see a few of these on my daily commute actually, the darker colors (gray, black) are a lot less tuner boi.

At this point I think I'd rather find one of the older, screaming VTEC Hondas but I'm not in the market for a daily, which these turbo'ed ones seem to be pretty competent at.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/23/19 9:59 a.m.

Cobra, check out the latest Si. It gets the limited-slip diff and isn’t slow. You don't have to get the bright yellow, either. 

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
5/23/19 10:07 a.m.

This forbidden test drive thing is really random. I am in the Milwaukee area, and I have walked into dealerships and been able to test drive a golf r multiple times, Evo 10.  Was offered test drive in an STI but not interested.  Maybe it's just a smaller city Midwest thing, less games?

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/19 10:59 a.m.

Stealers be stealin

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
5/23/19 3:12 p.m.
turtl631 said:

This forbidden test drive thing is really random. I am in the Milwaukee area, and I have walked into dealerships and been able to test drive a golf r multiple times, Evo 10.  Was offered test drive in an STI but not interested.  Maybe it's just a smaller city Midwest thing, less games?

I think we should have everyone post photos of what they look like. Then we'll find out who amongst us is the 22-year-old dude with the flatbrim Monster Energy hat who keeps getting turned down for test drives :D

I also feel like it you roll up to the dealer in your cargo shorts and oil-stained GRM t-shirt, you're less likely to get a drive than if you roll up in something that makes it look like you have money to spend (i.e. your white-collar-office-job suit, or something along those lines). IDK...I've never had an issue. Then again, i raraely go ask to drive anything particularly expensive or exotic. Half the stuff I test-drive, the salesman doesn't even come along. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/23/19 4:24 p.m.

When I hand the salesguy my business card, that says "Dr" on it, I fully expect to be able to test drive any car short of something like a Ferrari/McLaren/Lamborghini.  Certainly wasn't expecting to get shut down on an EvoX!

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/23/19 5:01 p.m.

Wow!  For $17,500 they couldn’t make it look better?  

Actually, I guess not. Miracles aren’t cheap, and it would take a miracle to make that nasty thing look better. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 6:50 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

When the Mitsu dealer informed me of the no test drive policy on their Evos, I told him rather firmly and (barely) politely that I had just driven 5h in E36 M3ty traffic, and if he'd rather see us and $40k+ walk out the door right now as they kinda sorta forgot to mention that little detail in our phone call.

Oddly enough, I got a test drive, they took the "market value adjustment" off the price and sold the car to me that day.

Keep in mind I'm mostly a "shrewd negotiator" in the Ed Bolian/VinWIKI sense. At least compared to one of my friends who has a side business flipping old motorcycles and who learned to negotiate in the bazaars of Northern Africa.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/23/19 9:53 p.m.
irish44j said:
turtl631 said:

I think we should have everyone post photos of what they look like. Then we'll find out who amongst us is the 22-year-old dude with the flatbrim Monster Energy hat who keeps getting turned down for test drives :D

I also feel like it you roll up to the dealer in your cargo shorts and oil-stained GRM t-shirt, you're less likely to get a drive than if you roll up in something that makes it look like you have money to spend (i.e. your white-collar-office-job suit, or something along those lines). IDK...I've never had an issue. Then again, i raraely go ask to drive anything particularly expensive or exotic. Half the stuff I test-drive, the salesman doesn't even come along. 

35, shorts and hoodie, lots of tattoos on my legs. Drove up in a lowered BRZ on wheels and exhaust.

Same.aa when I test drove the BRZ and the Mustang GT before I ordered one specifically how I wanted it.

I suspect like I've never had a problem buying the car and so many have, how you carry yourself and the attitude you have has a lot to do with it.

With the 135i, I bet I could roll up to the Porsche dealership tomorrow and get a drive in a 718. 

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/24/19 4:38 a.m.

We went into the dealership to look at the type r.  They have two inside.  I drove up in my 06 mustang, which still looks brand new.  If you know where and how to look, you can see the car has been tastefully modified.  We are in the market for another car.  I think both my wife and I were in dress clothes, I wasn't wearing a tie.

Both cars inside were locked.  After I tried them both I figured someone would come up and ask me what I needed.  We stood inside the dealership long enough for me to not believe they didn't come up and ask us anything.  My mustang was parked right up front as I didn't want to get a door ding.

Business must be good.  I don't see them selling many civic type r's here in Portland, Maine, but what do I know.  It would have been a long shot for us to buy one as I am so cheap, but my daughter is going off to college soon and I'd like to get her into a civic or fit.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm amazed when dealers blow people off who are obviously interested in  buying something.  My wife is also the type to want the civic type r, "because it's so cute", so there might have been a sale...

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/24/19 6:00 a.m.

My wife's co-worker's son bought one when they came out at sticker price, but had to accept something like $1,200 in extra accessories as part of the deal. They're a Penske-owned dealership, so they couldn't mark up the car itself, but were allowed to upsell on the accessories.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/24/19 10:01 a.m.

If you want a Type R, but would need it to replace your current CUV, there's a company in the UK that can help you.

a car parked in front of a building: I never knew I wanted an off-road-spec Civic Type R until this very moment.

You know the deal, if you have to ask how much... cheeky

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/24/19 10:02 a.m.

I see your Type R and raise you...

Heh, the other Ian beat me by 60 sec.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/24/19 10:14 a.m.

If that's AWD, that's almost kinda cool.  At least it looks much less dorky when it's really dorky, if that makes any sense.

That intercooler or radiator or whatever it is is just waiting to take it on the chin, though.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/24/19 10:37 a.m.

In reply to nderwater :

You found a better pic. 

It is still FWD, but I wouldn't consider that a deal breaker.

Definitely needs some front end armor and a skid plate or three.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
5/24/19 5:28 p.m.
nderwater said:

Just when you thought it couldn't get any stupider looking

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/24/19 8:21 p.m.
irish44j said:
nderwater said:

Just when you thought it couldn't get any stupider looking

Wow, they managed to make it uglier!?!?  Wow!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/25/19 6:09 a.m.

You guys just don't appreciate modern art. cheeky

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/25/19 7:06 a.m.

If you're going to go ugly, don't berk around. It worked for the bugeye WRX.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/25/19 7:11 a.m.

Apparently this dealer thinks a Honda Civic can play in 718 Boxster territory now. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/19 8:34 a.m.
Appleseed said:

If you're going to go ugly, don't berk around. It worked for the bugeye WRX.

As a person who wanted a GC8 like nothing else, and checked subaruwrx.com every day in 2000-2001, and was thoroughly disappointed by the E36 M3show that was the 2002 WRX that was basically a wide Legacy with ugly headlghts, I understand that reference.  Deeply.

Also, as person who grew up in the Sport Compact Car era, and has some form of excessive disposable income, I can respect that the kind of people who would buy a new CTR are grey and don't care about a $15k markup (indeed, every CTR I'd seen was driven by Middle Age Man).  All the same, I can buy a real GC8 for under $10k now, and that's what's more interesting.  Waiting for a blue STi RA IV to show up, because Bunta.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/25/19 8:48 a.m.

I wouldn't buy a CTR because FUGLY!  However, there's no way I'd pay $17k over MSRP regardless of how good a car is to drive/look at, etc.  That offends me.  I'd rather wait and buy one later.  I do find it humorous that the Ford dealers still have brand new Focus RS'.  Their greed really paid dividends!

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/19 9:19 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

When I was a teen in the mid 1990s, I worked at a bike shop that had 10 year old bikes listed at retail price, and drawers full of vintage parts that haven't sold yet but "there's an ass for every seat".

Then the lowrider craze kicked in and vintage Krate parts were selling for $100/tire and all that shiny happy personry was justified.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/25/19 10:31 a.m.
docwyte said:

I wouldn't buy a CTR because FUGLY!  However, there's no way I'd pay $17k over MSRP regardless of how good a car is to drive/look at, etc.  That offends me.  I'd rather wait and buy one later.  I do find it humorous that the Ford dealers still have brand new Focus RS'.  Their greed really paid dividends!

No joke, I wouldn't say over MSRP for anything. I don't know maybe if I HAD to have it and had 8 figures in the bank?

As for the Ford dealers, can you imagine how much they've paid on their floorplan to have those things sitting around? 

At least in Oklahoma, all the dealerships are from old money and now their kids run them.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8QkKKfGu3tRiy5Db7wCxeighYuI807Nts3L5pRdTAkW9tgFLnivvd5tIv32nsgMA