1 2 3 4
Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/29/16 5:26 p.m.
dculberson wrote: In reply to T.J.: Because no wrx ever had a ridiculous wing... Oh wait.

Not in the Hatch form. The hatch has always had the subtle rear spoiler like the RS

1966stang
1966stang Reader
9/29/16 5:41 p.m.

I actually like it, but would prefer an STI for the money.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
9/29/16 5:42 p.m.

I kind of like it.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/29/16 6:13 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Ok but it's still a WRX with a factory ridiculous wing.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
9/29/16 6:42 p.m.

I've never seen a less original body design. It's the sti for people that need more understeer. Fail.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
9/29/16 6:49 p.m.

340 hp and FWD. must have been designed by someone who owned stock in a tire company cause that thing is gonna be tire spin city.

A friend of mine has a mid 90's civic that's turboed up to something like 450 whp. He's so proud of the fact he can spin the tires from 60 mph, unfortunately limited traction isn't the same as "fast".

Too big, too flashy, too many doors, too traction limited. But I'm sure someone will like it.

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
9/29/16 6:50 p.m.

Eh. It's ugly, but if it performs anything like the type R of the past, I might overlook it. Also, +1 for global cars. Why did it take this long?

oilstain
oilstain New Reader
9/29/16 6:57 p.m.

I hope it does really well and Mercedes is watching! Then, I hope they realize that there is a market for the A45 AMG!

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
9/29/16 7:12 p.m.

The hp numbers aren't bad. Today's tech easily allows the average driver to utilize it. They put 340 under the hood to get a nürburg record. They'll get it. It'll be hailed as some kinda hero, and the average "I don't know how to work on cars so I'll just buy the fastest one in my budget" guys will eat it up.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/29/16 7:34 p.m.

In reply to sesto I didn't know that was possible.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/29/16 7:55 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: If it is AWD, I'm going to laugh.

And if it's not AWD, why bother building it...?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
9/29/16 10:16 p.m.

I love it. It's so hilariously, ridiculously, frenetically bursting with life. It's got scoops and spoilers and winglets and wide arches. It looks like once the regular one was finished, Spoon Sports, the Liberty Walk team, and the guy who did the aero on the Pikes Peak Suzuki Escudo went on a massive MDMA bender and designed the automotive equivalent of a CB-0000G/Reborn Gundam. They saw that the Focus RS and Golf R have two exhaust tips, and decided to give it thre with the central one being (possibly) some kind of crazy straight-through electrically operated thing that's as close to cutouts as you can get in a street car. They gave it more wings than could be provided by the world supply of Red Bull. They fitted 245-section tires, then realized the arches weren't wide enough, so they broke out the grinders and sawzalls and plasma cutters and fiberglass molding equipment and made them fit. They threw enough carbon fiber onto a reasonably attainable street car to make even Christian Von Koenigsegg pleased. They painted it a demonic shade of black, except where they painted it a devilish red. They bolted on enough ground effects that you'd think it would come with a "diffuse deez nuts" sticker from the factory. Hell, if you look at the front fascia, you can see that they literally put vents on vents and then put more vents under that. They made the wing's winglets have winglets, and then they rolled it out in one of Europe's most iconic and glamorous cities. The result? The internet has lost it's collective E36 M3. They showed the LaFerrari Aptera in the flesh for the first time at the same show, and nobody cares! It's the automotive equivalent of consuming a slurpee in church. Most people will look on in disgust, but there will almost certainly be people, most of them younger, who really badly want one.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
9/29/16 10:53 p.m.

Yuck.

However, this is an eye opener (all 2016s);

Vs. BMW M3 and Audi RS3;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3n7zhb7aN8

Vs. Focus RS;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB4mMPWXAgk

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/29/16 10:56 p.m.

"Too much power for FWD?" I'm sorry Nancy, I thought I was on GRM and not Consumer Reports.

Did anyone else notice this is a concept to be rolled out at sema? I think they're aiming at their audience there and doubt the production car will look quite this ... bold.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
9/29/16 11:28 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Given the concept version of the regular hatch VS the production version, I would say the production FC CTR will look damn near identical to the concept.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
9/30/16 5:50 a.m.

That car is a two bagger. Yeeeesh.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/30/16 5:58 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: It's the automotive equivalent of consuming a slurpee in church. Most people will look on in disgust, but there will almost certainly be people, most of them younger, who really badly want one.

Are people paying you to write yet? This is some good E36 M3.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
9/30/16 6:19 a.m.

Yep, G body man wins the thread. We're done here.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
9/30/16 6:35 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: The new civic is just flat out massive. It's only 6 inches overall shorter in length, 1 inch shorter in height and 2 inches narrower than the 15 accord.

A coworker just bought one yesterday. Parked next to my Jeep, the Civic isn't quite as wide, but it's definitely longer.

smokindav
smokindav New Reader
9/30/16 7:49 a.m.

First - I don't think there are any Honda fanbois left as the last decent car they made was the '96-00 Civic Si and the S2000 (too expensive for the high school ricer crowd). If you want to throw Acura in the mix they are also lost and the Integra Type-R is a distant memory, as great as it was.

Anyway, this car looks weird, big and needs 300hp because it's the size of an Accord of a few years ago. Same problem BMW and others have - the 3-series is the new 5-series.

Even still, it does appear as though Honda is trying to unf*ck itself from the boring product funk it's been in for the past decade-and-a-half. I hope they succeed. My first car was an '84 CRX and I've always had a soft spot for Hondas.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
9/30/16 7:54 a.m.

There's an HR-V in the car rider line in front of me at school. Now I kind of want an AWD HR-V Si.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/30/16 8:11 a.m.

Hey that new WRX looks pretty cool. What are those "H" and "R" thingies on the front mean?

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/30/16 8:36 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: I love it. It's so hilariously, ridiculously, frenetically bursting with life. It's got scoops and spoilers and winglets and wide arches. It looks like once the regular one was finished, Spoon Sports, the Liberty Walk team, and the guy who did the aero on the Pikes Peak Suzuki Escudo went on a massive MDMA bender and designed the automotive equivalent of a CB-0000G/Reborn Gundam. They saw that the Focus RS and Golf R have two exhaust tips, and decided to give it thre with the central one being (possibly) some kind of crazy straight-through electrically operated thing that's as close to cutouts as you can get in a street car. They gave it more wings than could be provided by the world supply of Red Bull. They fitted 245-section tires, then realized the arches weren't wide enough, so they broke out the grinders and sawzalls and plasma cutters and fiberglass molding equipment and made them fit. They threw enough carbon fiber onto a reasonably attainable street car to make even Christian Von Koenigsegg pleased. They painted it a demonic shade of black, except where they painted it a devilish red. They bolted on enough ground effects that you'd think it would come with a "diffuse deez nuts" sticker from the factory. Hell, if you look at the front fascia, you can see that they literally put vents on vents and then put more vents under that. They made the wing's winglets have winglets, and then they rolled it out in one of Europe's most iconic and glamorous cities. The result? The internet has lost it's collective E36 M3. They showed the LaFerrari Aptera in the flesh for the first time at the same show, and nobody cares! It's the automotive equivalent of consuming a slurpee in church. Most people will look on in disgust, but there will almost certainly be people, most of them younger, who really badly want one.

Are you applying for a writing job? ;)

I suspect that they'll look fine on the street. The base current generation Civic is a very striking car - in person. On paper- not so much.

HunterBenz
HunterBenz Reader
9/30/16 10:52 a.m.

With the numbers that thing threw down to smash, and I mean SMASH the FWD record on the 'ring, I'll take one. I don't care if they look like Rosie O'Donell wearing a sparkling green unitard. I can not think of a thing I would want to change on a car that has the ability to throw down a 7:50.

I mean if they are giving them out for free and the wife would let me keep another car. Both are very unlikely, so I think I'm safe.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
9/30/16 11:08 a.m.

As a recent convert from FWD to AWD, I can honestly say that I'd never go back. The Sentra was loaded with power and torque, with 270 whp and only 2700 lbs. But torque steer was ever-present, and putting power down in long sweepers was always a limiting factor. The RS has no torque steer at all - absolutely zero - and powering through and out of a corner is magnificent. I immediately dropped 3 seconds off of my best Sentra time at the kart track at Daytona in my first autocross with the RS.

Saying its going to smash the FWD record at the 'Ring is kind of like saying you just set the fastest time on crutches in the 100 yard dash.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x0nJbqenAkf36Iq169wHdTs92s6eWc9JBdbhGSGEkmXWztvfqLmlum46rG9n96Ce