donalson
donalson PowerDork
6/21/12 11:35 p.m.

so I moved to the houston area and lost my 2 car garage w/ 220v but I do have a single car garage with 110v...

I need to do a little welding to finish my project truck... the big thing being my exhaust... so i've been watching CL... I don't want to spend more then about $100 and this popped up...

it's an older Century POW'R-mate 100 mig/flux welder... from what little I can find about it online it was made in USA, sold at sears, and century was bought out by lincon (or lincon made them or something like that)

i'm thinking I should snatch it up but figured i'd get some feedback before I make the drive for it haha.

thanks mark

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic New Reader
6/22/12 12:36 a.m.

Does it come with the all the gas related stuff? Make sure to figure that into the price.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
6/22/12 12:38 a.m.

Can it be updated to gas? Do repair parts exist? Century is certainly not an uncommon name in welding, and $100 for a welder that can actually make sparks is pretty good.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
6/22/12 12:42 a.m.

I have no intention of dealing with gas... i've run my HF dual mig for years and it's all been flux... while it's ugly and my welds would prob be prettier with gas I like the simplicity...

but yes it's a dual gas/flux welder if I ever did get a bottle/reg... also 2 dials puts more control then my 220v has

donalson
donalson PowerDork
6/28/12 5:31 p.m.

ended up getting it... it's a MUCH nicer MIG then my harbor freight MIG as far as adjustability, fit n finish (doesn't have that cheap feel to it lol...

has a tweco mini mig gun/feed which looks like it's $150-200+ add on, came with the gas regulator/hose kit and a big roll of standard MIG wire (no good to me untill/unless I get gas)...

I'm very happy with the unit and looking forward to using it

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
6/28/12 6:09 p.m.

Congrats on the pickup! May it serve you well for years to come

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
6/28/12 6:15 p.m.

You can get a 20lb bottle of C02 cheap enough from a beverage store and use that if you are in a pinch. Hell my 50lb bottle of tri-mix was $75 from a local welding shop.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
6/28/12 8:39 p.m.

I have that exact welder - it was my first MIG. It was half decent once I got it all adjusted but I never did run gas on it. My dad still has it in his garage for sticking stuff together.

I won't say it was good - only that it will just keep going and going and going.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
6/28/12 11:18 p.m.

maybe i'll have to look at a welding shop again... last time i'd looked even a small 10-20lb bottle was pricey... the gas itself was nothing big... just the bottle...

I have access to 2 of the tall tanks (the ones that are like 5 foot tall) that my papa used for oxy-acetaline... but i'm sure they are WAY out of hydro... and they are 500+ miles away now haha (not that I'd have room anyway)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WoPbFY9i1glfrnUUCOe2pY6Pfs9N0T4BxBQTB4zStnem0BUWLaYVjYSPzjRhc44x