1 2 3 4 5
Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
1/19/13 7:49 p.m.

I liked it ratty. But it's not my car. 'nuf said.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/19/13 7:55 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: and I still contend that keeping that Shelby as "ratty, rough, lousy, or beater-ish" as some of you have called it, was the modern equivalent of the actor Peter Helm showing up at the Ferrari Owners Club meetings back in the 1960s in his 250 GT SWB California spider painted olive drab with US Army star, and an army canteen screwed to the front bumper, in a giant "F@ck you!" to convention.

Solution: Buy Shelby Mustang. Paint it whatever "drab" color you want. Add red vinyl stripes. Yell "berkeley YOU" at everyone. Everybody's happy.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/19/13 8:02 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: and I still contend that keeping that Shelby as "ratty, rough, lousy, or beater-ish" as some of you have called it, was the modern equivalent of the actor Peter Helm showing up at the Ferrari Owners Club meetings back in the 1960s in his 250 GT SWB California spider painted olive drab with US Army star, and an army canteen screwed to the front bumper, in a giant "F@ck you!" to convention.

Actually, I agree with you, and was sad to see the car lose this personality. But as others have said, it was beyond patina and quickly mining its way down the shaft from beater to past saving. At some point the wise man realizes he's cutting off his own nose to spite his face, and sets about stabilizing the situation.

Proving, once again, that there is no cosmic Pause button. If there were, I'd still have my 18 year old ass.

Margie

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
1/19/13 8:04 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: If there were, I'd still have my 18 year old ass. Margie

Yeah, I am not sure I have a wacky reply....

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
1/19/13 8:09 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Solution: Buy Shelby Mustang. Paint it whatever "drab" color you want. Add red vinyl stripes. Yell "berkeley YOU" at everyone. Everybody's happy.

Thanks, but no Shelbys for me. The next vehicle I blow $100k on will have a Cessna badge on the cowl.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
1/19/13 8:30 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: A few years ago everyone would have been all over them for spending $70,000 to redo the car. It wouldn't have been "grassroots" The general vibe was this was a forum for those without money, and if you brought up anything expensive, you were blasted for it

^^^^ what he said

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/13 8:34 p.m.
Proving, once again, that there is no cosmic Pause button. If there were, I'd still have my 18 year old ass.

I don't know if Margie is eligible for "Say what?", but if so this must go in the mag.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
1/19/13 8:45 p.m.

The history lover in me would have liked to see it left completely ratty and original. The car guy in my understands that it needed some work to stay alive. The CM reader in me knew when they bought it there was no way it would stay unrestored for long.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/19/13 8:57 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote:
Actually, I agree with you, and was sad to see the car lose this personality. But as others have said, it was beyond patina and quickly mining its way down the shaft from beater to past saving. At some point the wise man realizes he's cutting off his own nose to spite his face, and sets about stabilizing the situation. Proving, once again, that there is no cosmic Pause button. If there were, I'd still have my 18 year old ass. Margie

Well, there is something pretty close to a cosmic pause button, but it's located in New Mexico, or Bakersfield, or maybe West Texas where stuff gets frozen in time by the hot, dry climate.

But at least in Daytona we only get the meth-fueled bikers twice a year instead of twice a day in those areas. If that means we have to patch a anel on our Shelby or the door will fall off, okay, we're bad people.

jg

peter
peter HalfDork
1/19/13 9:25 p.m.

Thanks to this thread, I decided to pick up my copy of CM and read the Mustang article a little sooner than I'd planned.

Having done that, I'm surprised at the reactions in this thread, given:

• This car had been resprayed (poorly) in the past
  • There was rot
  • There were leaks
  • There was damaged fiberglass
  • This was not a complete respray

Frankly, given the above, I'm surprised a full-respray wasn't done. I'd think that the partial-respray decision was a decent middle-of-the-road decision. I wouldn't call this "patina", I'd call it... rot, leaks, damage, cheap paint.

How many here have actually read the article?

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
1/19/13 9:29 p.m.

Agree with fanfoy and others on this. I read both GRM and CM and have been following this. I admit I do like patina but to a point. Battle scars are one thing, rusty and falling apart is another. Sometimes repainting is necessary just to save or prolong the life of the car. I'll admit I didn't really understand why they were going out of the way to keep the patina on it when reading the updates. A car that old and worn (by evidence of what they rebuilt in the columns) will eventually need to be brought down, metal repaired and repainted just to be able to last another decade (or few years).

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
1/19/13 9:58 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: A few years ago everyone would have been all over them for spending $70,000 to redo the car. It wouldn't have been "grassroots" The general vibe was this was a forum for those without money, and if you brought up anything expensive, you were blasted for it

But its not in grm.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/19/13 9:59 p.m.

Margie wins!

/thread

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/13 10:56 p.m.

It wasn't original paint to begin with you whiners!

Am I going to get burned at the stake for actually painting over real-deal original paint on my POS Javelin?!?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
1/19/13 11:13 p.m.

All this flap over a mustang?

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
1/19/13 11:38 p.m.

Agree with Peter - the magazine clearly states in Carl's article the pros and cons of patina versus restoration, and the Shelby article clearly describes the car's condition and the reasoning behind the middle-of-the-road decision, and the pains taken to preserve as much patina as possible. Also note that, like the modern engine (funny, no complaints about this), a full-on restoration can always be done in the future. You can always restore and repaint, but you can't put back originality. Personally, I'd have gone for the restoration, but I can fully support the route Tim has taken.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
1/20/13 6:20 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote:
Actually, I agree with you, and was sad to see the car lose this personality. But as others have said, it was beyond patina and quickly mining its way down the shaft from beater to past saving. At some point the wise man realizes he's cutting off his own nose to spite his face, and sets about stabilizing the situation. Proving, once again, that there is no cosmic Pause button. If there were, I'd still have my 18 year old ass. Margie

And now we know why Tim has been able to keep up his crazy schedule and still bring us a fantastic mag for the last 25+ years-he's got a good woman with a great sense of humor at his side! Well said!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
1/20/13 6:24 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Proving, once again, that there is no cosmic Pause button. If there were, I'd still have my 18 year old ass. Margie

Please post photo proving this in the "Good God Almighty" thread.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/20/13 6:29 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
I don't know if Margie is eligible for "Say what?", but if so this must go in the mag.

Plus juan. I don't care who you are, that's funny.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
1/20/13 7:15 a.m.

I still don't see what's wrong with fixing broken stuff. They didn't pull the car down to bare metal and put on a $20k paint job that can't be driven on the road much less on the track. They fixed problems that were threatening to kill the car. Now it will live longer and be driven in anger for a few more generations at least. I just don't get how this is bad.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
1/20/13 8:45 a.m.

I received my copy yesterday. I believe there was an assumption the paint on the car was original. Apparently I missed where the repaint was mentioned during the previous articles about the car as I thought this was the case as well. However, now knowing the paint history a little better and the rust issues in need of attention, I have no problem at all with the path chosen and I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would. Did the OP read the article before posting this thread?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/20/13 9:03 a.m.

Did the people saying it shouldn't have been repainted every see the car in person?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
1/20/13 9:22 a.m.
Aeromoto wrote: I put the wagon on Ebay and it was bid up and sold for a five digit figure. Not long after, the car showed back up on Ebay, sadly having a complete repaint, a hideous underhood rattlecan resto, etc, etc, so I can only guess that the buyer bought it with some idea of doing a quick resto and flip? It made me sick to my stomach that he ruined 50 years of patina, but my vindication was that the car failed to break four digits in it's Ebay auction, and as far as I know is still for sale.

That's one of the problems with trying to flip cars, if they can't do a proper job, they should just leave it alone.

A couple days ago I checked out an '88 BMW M5 that's for sale locally, for a person I know who lives out of state. The car looked okay in the ad photos, but in person it wasn't even a 20 footer - it had been repainted, apparently with a broom. I have no idea what condition it was in before the repaint, but they did it a real disservice with the sloppy paint job they put on it. It deserved better.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
1/20/13 9:51 a.m.

I'm going to throw my two cents in, because I can.

I haven't read the article, but having been in the antique/classic car restoration business for many years, I will agree with what people have said in this thread already. There is a point where patina is no longer patina and it becomes rot. By the sound of it, that's where the Shelby was.

Even with the respray, the Shelby is an interesting color. It isn't the normal "White and Blue" Shelby, so it doesn't bother me that it was repainted.

I also agree with Poopshovel. I think there has been a lot of hate on the magazines with the various posts popping up here lately, but on that note, I also understand where Aeromoto is coming from as well. It sucks to see a car (especially one that you have owned) in perfectly good condition, with the original paint, purchased and a sad attempt made to make a quick flip.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
1/20/13 9:51 a.m.

Alright, having read the thread in it's entirety... I still have no bloody idea what's going on, guess it's time to subscribe to CM.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lnv4T1ujfrzW8mxwcJ03oJKbv2XE9nrvM42ma5XhMgMGsrz5yABTzuhkEyLx1Yky