alex
alex SuperDork
5/8/11 1:44 p.m.

Ah, the joys of doing mechanical work on Sundays.

Do any of the chain parts stores do fuel injector cleaning? Do any of them do a better job than others?

I've got 'em off, figure while I'm in there...

YaNi
YaNi Reader
5/8/11 3:19 p.m.

You're SOL unless you can find a diesel engine shop around. They usually do injector cleaning. Witch Hunter and RC Engineering both do mail order injector cleaning.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
5/8/11 3:30 p.m.

Witch Hunter has a crazy fast turn around, for what it's worth.

alex
alex SuperDork
5/9/11 12:21 p.m.

Thanks guys. Upon reflection I'll probably skip it for now and take my chances. They take all of 5 minutes to pull, so it's no big deal if I feel the need in the future.

I'll be looking for diesel shops in the mean time for future reference. We have a few in the area. Good idea.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
5/9/11 1:21 p.m.

Or you can just do it yourself. Take the injectors out, get a 9 volt battery, get a spare pigtail that fits your injectors, hook the 9v battery up to the pigtail to open the injector, then spray carb cleaner into the injector in reverse of it's normal flow, then to the same with compressed air.

alex
alex SuperDork
5/9/11 1:30 p.m.

I was considering doing just this, but I was concerned about the constant voltage to the injector. Nothing to worry about?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/9/11 1:38 p.m.

Nothing at all. I have seen a little jig that holds two injectors that allows you to clean them in "reverse", flip them, then clean them "forward" as well. I think it was an OMC marine piece but Bosch injectors fit it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
5/9/11 2:17 p.m.
alex wrote: I was considering doing just this, but I was concerned about the constant voltage to the injector. Nothing to worry about?

High impedance injectors usually don't burn out from this. Low impedance injectors can run hot, but you'd probably kill the 9 volt first.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/9/11 4:40 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: Or you can just do it yourself. Take the injectors out, get a 9 volt battery, get a spare pigtail that fits your injectors, hook the 9v battery up to the pigtail to open the injector, then spray carb cleaner into the injector in reverse of it's normal flow, then to the same with compressed air.

Corey, if the starting problems on the Jag are what I think it is, you just saved me a couple of bills. Gad, I love this place.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
anfJFQ8ZRVv0nJR2PN0f7NhhL1XVxu42B2kC5NxCU2USfI5PcJGmmjegStwRxxk4