The0retical
The0retical Dork
6/25/16 6:10 a.m.

I don't know if you guys get the Mazda newsletter monthly but I was a bit peeved to see this:

Seven Things You Might Not Know About the MX-5 RF

Since its debut at the New York International Auto Show, the All-New 2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF has been setting enthusiasts' blogs and forums on fire with anticipation, questions and predictions, all generated by the mystery surrounding this remarkable machine. So let's put rumor and gossip aside and get to the goods. This latest article, "7 Things You Might Not Know about the MX-5 RF," is a great read, and to stay tuned for more news and exciting info, sign up for updates here.

Okay, I think, maybe there will be some info in there about the meeting some sort of criteria allowing for the car to be tracked or some info about a roll bar or something.

No. It is:

1 fact about the roof retracting in 12 seconds.
4 facts about the interior and exterior.
1 fact stating it has safety features.
and (the only interesting one) 1 line stating that there will be a club version with an LSD, Brembos, Bilsteins and BBS wheels.

I'm a bit curious what enthusiast blogs or forums asked if the leather is the same as the new CX-9, if it'll come in "machine gray", if it has blind spot monitoring, and if it has sound deadening material in it. Certainly not this site or any other "enthusiast site" that I frequent.

Okay rant off I am interested in the club version if I can get it on the track legitimately though and good god is it pretty.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/25/16 6:54 p.m.

Hey, it's a Mysterious and Remarkable Machine. What do you expect?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/16 7:30 p.m.

It answered a bunch of my questions, actually. Yes, I can get a Club. Yes, I can get it in black. When it will be available. Good.

And people who actually buy new sports cars often do care about the interior. Don't get all pissy just because you don't.

Mazda's never going to give you roll bar info. That's up to the aftermarket. Mazda WILL sell you an excellent fully prepped track car if you'd like.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
6/25/16 7:38 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: It answered a bunch of my questions, actually. Yes, I can get a Club. Yes, I can get it in black. When it will be available. Good. And people who buy new sports cars often do care about the interior. Don't get all pissy just because you don't. Mazda's never going to give you roll bar info. That's up to the aftermarket. Mazda WILL sell you an excellent fully prepped track car if you'd like.

Fair enough. Honestly though I'd like a bit more info on the structure of the flying buttresses. Since from the previous discussion about the RF it seems a rollbar is unlikely to fit.

That said yes I do like my cars to be a nice place to sit in when I'm driving it every day but sort of assumed that was a foregone conclusion considering the work Mazda has put into its interiors lately. The enthusiast blog and forum bit is what rubbed me the wrong way (yea yea marketing people and facts of life.) That was pure unadulterated click bait.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/16 7:59 p.m.

It's the first time I've seen the package information and ETA info anywhere, personally.

Given that the buttresses lift off the body as part of the top procedure, I would call them completely non-structural. It may be possible to effectively fix the roof in place and add roll protection, we'll find out.

Btw, best number I've seen from quasi-legit sources (i.e., not a commercial blog) is 100 lbs weight gain. That's plausible given the NC top numbers.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FceQGsNfcnQgIKKHwC9tMZAQqD4m6OtpFCtO9IkF5lTJQSwSq1rAW31RkokLPBm7