morello159
morello159 New Reader
4/27/19 9:10 a.m.

Hey guys

I have an FM Stage 2 clutch in my Miata (paging Keith), which I love, but at my last couple track days the car has become more and more difficult to shift, particularly into first or reverse from a standstill. It seems like the clutch isn't disengaging all the way. I've bled the system a couple times, and more recently replaced both the slave and master cylinders. I've adjusted the pedal under the dash as far as I feel comfortable (how far is too far?) but the engagement point is still just off the floor and I feel like I need another inch or so of travel.

What else can I do here? How far is too far with the pedal adjustment?

morello159
morello159 New Reader
4/28/19 5:35 p.m.

Nobody?

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/28/19 7:19 p.m.

No Miata expert I, but...

Either the clutch actuation isn't completely disengaging it, or something is dragging even when it's disengaged.

I would check this, but a quick Google suggests you should see about 0.6" or so movement at the slave cylinder. If you're not getting that, you've got an issue with mechanism, whether it's with the bleed, with flex at the pedal or master cylinder (cracked bracketry?) or something like that.

If you are getting that travel, then it's more likely to be something like a bad pilot bearing or an issue with the clutch disc (e.g. recently read an issue also on a Miata with a broken clutch center spring dragging. Same place I got the 0.6" number. I suppose I should just link that... https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=564442 ) Any which way, if the mechanism has enough travel, you're probably dropping the trans to look for issues.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/19 8:05 p.m.

From another recent-ish clutch discussion on here I seem to remember this is the sign of a clutch disc installed backwards?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/28/19 9:57 p.m.

There is only one way to adjust the clutch pedal pushrod.  All other ways are incorrect.  

Remove the pin from the pushrod.  Can you slip it back in the hole without moving the pedal or the pushrod off their stops? Then it is correct. Any other option is wrong.

morello159
morello159 New Reader
4/29/19 9:33 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

It was fine when I first installed it and for the first few track weekends. This has only recently become an issue.

I'll try bleeding again and checking that the pedal adjustment has pin properly aligned

morello159
morello159 New Reader
5/10/19 6:59 a.m.

Just to follow up, the solution was to adjust the clutch further. On a hydraulic setup, as long as you aren't blocking any ports on the master cylinder, you can adjust the clutch more and get more stroke. FM instructions say as much - I had just forgotten about that and needed to redo the adjustment procedure. Gotta love when RTFM is the solution!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IQQL5MrvDFoxiE83j3FqhLjo45w2urF2FfByOKEswSoglzjZ13aZvz3Ytu2LSE8A