Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
11/27/15 7:56 a.m.

I have done many clutch replacements on various front drivers. This is the newest car I have worked on. Is it possible to replace the clutch with two floor jacks and basic tools?

theSAABsite says I need a special tool to pull the half-shafts. Or is there a DIY way to do it without distroying them?

That is all for now. I may have more questions later.

Thanks in advance. Kenn

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
11/27/15 9:35 a.m.

Additional model information is needed to help. What year? Engine?

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
11/27/15 10:23 a.m.

2004 aero conv, 2.0t.

Also, is it necessary to remove the subframe?

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
11/27/15 2:21 p.m.

Nothing is straightforward on this car! Aaarrrgggghhhhh

NY535iManual
NY535iManual Reader
11/27/15 2:44 p.m.

On my 2003 9-3SS, no need for SAAB special tool, regular ole slide hammer worked just fine to pull the half shafts. You will need a drift to bang out the pass side intermediate shaft. I'm pretty sure the conv is the same in this regard. Check saabcentral.com for helpful info.

No idea as to whether you need to pull the subframe to replace the clutch. One point though to keep in mind if you do pull he subframe: To do that, you have to lower the exhaust. Because of their orientation, the studs on the cat where the down pipe connects get very rusty. I was too hurried and broke one, and it was a bear to drill out since I didn't feel like pulling the turbo to pull the cat. After I broke the first one, I slathered naval jelly on the other two, let sit for 20 min and had no problem.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
11/27/15 2:49 p.m.

Thanks, I will probably have to pull the subframe. Every place I have looked says it is a necessity.

Will most likely finish it tomorrow as I need to get a few things before I can finish it.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/15 3:20 p.m.

I forget if it was a 9-3 or a 9-5, but I did a clutch in a SAAB where the subframe was two-piece. Unbolt the rack on the left side, remove a bunch of fasteners, then loosen a pair of "hinge" bolts, and half of the subframe swung down. It was awesome.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
12/6/15 10:24 a.m.

I have been trying to do this without a repair manual. That was a huge mistake. I finally ordered one. I couldn't believe that none of the regular parts stores carry one for the 9-3.

I have never worked on car this new. Nothing is as simple as it should be.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
12/6/15 10:28 a.m.

This is probably going to turn into a minor build thread as I fix all the little niggling thing that have been neglected on this thing.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
12/17/15 12:32 p.m.

Why did they have to over engineer this damn thing. If I didn't have a backup car I would be in real trouble. The exhaust appears to be welded from front to rear. I did not plan on tearing half the car apart just to change the clutch!

It shouldn't be this difficult.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/15 12:52 p.m.

"Remove the front part of the exhaust pipe by cutting 87mm from the front end of the silencer."

Yah, SAAB done goofed.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/15 2:10 p.m.

^^Should make for easy visual inspection to verify clutch replacement if I'm ever in the market.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
1/16/16 9:48 p.m.

I finally got it done! The half shafts just pulled out nice and easy. The sub-frame was a royal pain in the rear. Bleeding the slave was an adventure in frustration until I figured out that it can't be done like a normal car. I will post photos when I get them uploaded.

Next is brakes,rotors and pads.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DikMtqc8JYpIcQqR0Arec0s2gCY9XH8syx460ZH6HBGHJVK1kBbxzBjKCgbsbFWb