1 2
bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
11/15/18 1:54 p.m.
fusion66 said:

In reply to bigeyedfish :

Based on the appearance, I would agree that it likely slipped a large amount prior to its ultimate death. A driven disc that is over-sped and burst will result in bigger chunks with a very fibrous edges. This one got hot enough to exceed the temperature that the resin (binder) could handle and thus came apart in smaller pieces (almost flowing out). I have been in clutch engineering (heavy truck) for over 30 years and have seen many that have died by thermal abuse and this is a prime example.

Definitely got super hot.  Flywheel is a beautiful blue and brown rainbow.  Clutch fluid is dark brown.  Much abuse.  I hate it, but this will probably affect my willingness to loan out tools and vehicles.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
11/15/18 1:56 p.m.

Took a apart a first-gen CRX that was so bad, there was evidence of fire.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/15/18 5:17 p.m.

My recommendation is - Yes.  Put a clutch in it.  It might be an important piece.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
11/19/18 8:08 a.m.

Well, the flywheel bolts just laughed at the 1/2" impact. Somebody in this thread advised to use some wire to hold the flywheel in place while breaking the bolts loose. Genius. I used TIG rod instead of a coat hanger, but same thing. 

Installed the new flywheel. Clutch won't bolt up... Bolt patterns are different. The new clutch matches the old flywheel, so I called around and O'Reilly's said they could get it done on a Sunday. So I ended up having the old one machined. And the new one has a couple marks on it from the installation, so I may not be able to return it. That's lame. The old one is back in. Clutch is in. I called it a night before I got grumpy. Next up is the heavy lifting. 

Just in case somebody else ever needs to do a clutch in a 3.0 V6 Toyota T100... Four wheel drive flywheels are nonexistent. Better hope your old one is salvageable. I think it's possible to use 3.4L clutch and flywheel but not positive.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
11/19/18 9:04 p.m.

Sounds like good progress on all fronts (mechanical and mental). Make sure those flywheel bolts get torqued properly with loctite or you may end up having to do it all over! Plus if one backs out enough to hit the hub of the clutch disc it will make new carnage.  Anyway, you're most of the way there now!

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
11/26/18 8:16 a.m.

Finished.  Putting it back together was way easier than taking it apart.  I'm a little bit ashamed of how many hours it took me, but I could do it way faster now.  I think I had 7-ish hours worth of reassembly. My wife asked me if I would do it again or just pay somebody next time.  I would absolutely do it again before paying someone.

The clutch hydraulics were filled with the nastiest goop I've seen in a vehicle.  It looked like the mud that ends up everywhere after a flood.  I don't know how that's possible unless the fluid was 25 years old and the truck was driven with no cap on the master cylinder and then the fluid was boiled into oblivion.  Oh well.  That was an easy problem to fix.

The write ups that I read when I got stuck a couple times mentioned how difficult it is to access the top two bolts in the bellhousing.  I didn't find those to be that difficult, but I did get hung up on the starter bolts.  There is one from each side of the starter.  I removed the one from the same side as the rest of the bellhousing bolts.  Then I tried to remove the trans.  Stuck.  I went around and around, knowing that I was missing a bolt and still couldn't find it.  The passenger side is so cluttered you can barely reach in there, and you definitely can't see much.

Once it was done, I had to adjust the pushrod from the pedal to the master cylinder a little to bring the engagement point up off the floor a bit.  Test drove it in the dark and everything seemed good to go.  The next morning, I put a bunch of tools in it and put it back to work.  Today I drove it to work in the snow and ice.  All is well.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
11/26/18 8:18 a.m.

Almost forgot.  Rock Auto is awesome and said that I should return the flywheel they sold me for a full refund, even though it has a couple marks on it from my very short term installation.  It wasn't labeled as 2WD only, so they are eating that cost instead of telling me to get bent.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
11/26/18 1:49 p.m.

Wow, that's great! I have done a ton of business with Rockauto over the years and haven't been disappointed but a couple of times. The one or two times they got something wrong the dollar values were so low I didn't bother to return things. All in all I'm still happily ordering from them. My fridge is more than halfway to the floor with their magnets. cheeky

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x1huHdxksATzPlMMKsFw9zf1UQQYyj2bDQnL0oFRx9V1QLIPgDnP2Hc6Nkro23zR