shadetree30 Reader
Jan. 9, 2013 4:19 p.m.

Has anybody done or contemplated doing a CNG conversion?

My thoughts would be on a DD or car hauler...

GameboyRMH PowerDork
Jan. 9, 2013 4:25 p.m.

I've thought about it, common in the rock crawling world, you can run dual-fuel by simply putting the CNG carb in the intake ahead of the gasoline carb/efi system and cutting the gasoline.

Knurled UltraDork
Jan. 9, 2013 7:12 p.m.

We're doing them now. The installation isn't cheap but the people who've done it find that the conversion pays for itself in a year or so. Assuming you spend $20k a year on gasoline, anyway. Given the size of the tank required for any kind of meaninglul range, I'd only do it to a pickup. Figure a tank that is 20 gallons-equivalent will take up the width of the bed, and the diameter will be almost the height of the bed. Steel or spun-carbon tanks are available, with the expected tradeoffs of weight vs. expense.

A gallon-equivalent of CNG is about $.80-2.00 depending on if you buy it from a filling station or have a home fill station.

The new systems are neat. They interface with the PCM in such a way that the computer doesn't know that it's firing the wrong injectors. It's kind of like a piggyback but in reverse.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Look for Us at COTA This Weekend

5 hours ago in News

We'll be at the Lone Star Le Mans in Austin this weekend.

Hitting the Rollers With Our M235i

23 hours ago in Project Cars

We dyno our little M-car.

The Latest Issue Just Shipped Out

1 day ago in News

Subscribe today and get it plus one extra issue per year subscribed.

Kicking it Old-School

2 days ago in Articles

What cars out there can give you the joys of vintage driving without killing all your time and money?

2014 Jaguar F-Type V8 S

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

In his spare time, our managing editor serves as chairman of the board of the British Motor Trade Association (http://www.britcar.org). ...

Join Parade Laps at Trans Am's Event at Lime Rock

5 days ago in News

Sign up for the car corrals at Lime Rock and get at least two parade laps to show off your ...

Dyno Time for the Focus

5 days ago in Project Cars

We see how much power our Focus puts down.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More