shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
1/9/13 4:19 p.m.

Has anybody done or contemplated doing a CNG conversion?

My thoughts would be on a DD or car hauler...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/9/13 4:25 p.m.

I've thought about it, common in the rock crawling world, you can run dual-fuel by simply putting the CNG carb in the intake ahead of the gasoline carb/efi system and cutting the gasoline.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/9/13 7:12 p.m.

We're doing them now. The installation isn't cheap but the people who've done it find that the conversion pays for itself in a year or so. Assuming you spend $20k a year on gasoline, anyway. Given the size of the tank required for any kind of meaninglul range, I'd only do it to a pickup. Figure a tank that is 20 gallons-equivalent will take up the width of the bed, and the diameter will be almost the height of the bed. Steel or spun-carbon tanks are available, with the expected tradeoffs of weight vs. expense.

A gallon-equivalent of CNG is about $.80-2.00 depending on if you buy it from a filling station or have a home fill station.

The new systems are neat. They interface with the PCM in such a way that the computer doesn't know that it's firing the wrong injectors. It's kind of like a piggyback but in reverse.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r8we9EbMks8YhTo5oBsAZICD9Qdg6xNSLi1VwhCl4MPwEhtDyhR229IONDXa3Emd