shadetree30 Reader
Jan. 9, 2013 4:19 p.m.

Has anybody done or contemplated doing a CNG conversion?

My thoughts would be on a DD or car hauler...

GameboyRMH PowerDork
Jan. 9, 2013 4:25 p.m.

I've thought about it, common in the rock crawling world, you can run dual-fuel by simply putting the CNG carb in the intake ahead of the gasoline carb/efi system and cutting the gasoline.

Knurled UltraDork
Jan. 9, 2013 7:12 p.m.

We're doing them now. The installation isn't cheap but the people who've done it find that the conversion pays for itself in a year or so. Assuming you spend $20k a year on gasoline, anyway. Given the size of the tank required for any kind of meaninglul range, I'd only do it to a pickup. Figure a tank that is 20 gallons-equivalent will take up the width of the bed, and the diameter will be almost the height of the bed. Steel or spun-carbon tanks are available, with the expected tradeoffs of weight vs. expense.

A gallon-equivalent of CNG is about $.80-2.00 depending on if you buy it from a filling station or have a home fill station.

The new systems are neat. They interface with the PCM in such a way that the computer doesn't know that it's firing the wrong injectors. It's kind of like a piggyback but in reverse.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Our Focus Gets Dirty

23 hours ago in Project Cars

We rallycross our SVT Focus.

Get Half-Price Subscriptions Until Christmas

1 day ago in News

Miss the Black Friday Special? Just need a last minute Christmas gift? We're here to help.

NASA Southeast Gives Toys to the Less Fortunate

1 day ago in News

The NASA Southeast family put on yet another successful "Santa's Toy Run" this past weekend.

2014 Honda Pilot SE

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

The new Honda Pilot has been a family favorite for quite some time. This small SUV offers the space and ...

Challenging the Rolex 24 Hours

2 days ago in Articles

How to spend $1000 an hour and not have a cocaine problem.

Show Us Your Shop Contest Extended

3 days ago in News

We're moving the entry deadline back to December 31. Get your entries in soon.

Join Us at PRI This Week

1 week ago in News

Going to the show? Stop by booth 3133 to see us.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More