miataman86 Reader
Aug. 6, 2012 12:19 a.m.

I'm looking on getting some coilover sleeves soon for my 91 Miata soon. Got some NEUSPEED 450 front/350 rear springs from a buddy that owns a race team and the bumpstops that came off of one of their SMs they run. I'll be running Bilstein HD shocks all the way around with the NB shock hats and I already have the Eibach sway bars installed. Working 40 hours a week, I'm like everyone else: I'm on a budget. What are some good choices for coilover sleeves that aren't gonna break the bank and won't cause my springs to sag or cause any bottoming out issues and will be good bang for the buck?

MCarp22 HalfDork
Aug. 6, 2012 1:30 a.m.

When I did mine, i just used some cheap sleeves from ebay:

Photobucket

tr8todd Reader
Aug. 6, 2012 5:20 a.m.

The ebay cheapies will work just fine, but if you want to step it up a little, Afco sleeves and adjusters are great. Speedway is a good source for them.

Caleb
Caleb New Reader
Aug. 6, 2012 11:04 a.m.

Like every one else said just use ebay sleeves but if you want somthing a little nicer summit sells there house brand sleeves and qr1 sleeves aren't that expensive

miataman86 Reader
Aug. 6, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Thanks a bunch, guys. The owner if the race team that's supporting me said to look into the ebay coilovers as well. I looked and I really didn't have that much luck. I'll check out Speedway, Summit, etc. If you guys know of any eBay ones and would hit me up with a link, I'd appreciate it a lot. Just wish the Bilstein HD weren't so pricey ($275 after shipping n such) for 2 of them and that's WITH my team support! Already got the front 2, juat need the rear 2 and the coilover sleeves and I can then get it all together!

m4ff3w UltraDork
Aug. 6, 2012 5:00 p.m.

I bought mine from Coleman racing when I did the Volvo's coilovers.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
Aug. 6, 2012 5:31 p.m.

I like Ground Control sleeves for the fastening system.

Had them on 2 of my last 3 E30s.

miataman86 Reader
Aug. 6, 2012 10:56 p.m.

I found some from All-Star Performance for $38 a piece and they run them on their SM. Not a bad price and definitely should be able make the suspension project meet the deadline in 2 months. The GC sleeves are nice, but out of my budget at the moment. Just need something to get me started for now. 2.5" x 7" are the ones I'll need correct? They have it in 5" as well, but it seems the 7" gives more room to work with, am I right on that?

Jaynen Reader
Aug. 6, 2012 11:27 p.m.

There is a ginormous thread on ebay coil overs in the suspension forum on miata.net

miataman86 Reader
Aug. 7, 2012 12:55 a.m.

Cool, I'll head over and check it out. What's gonna be the clincher is after the suspension project is done, I'll have to get an alignment, but I'm gonna go with more of a "sport" setting. Might even go with more of a track setting seeing as the TOYOs are gonna need as much negative camber as caster as the shop can throw at it. The rear camber will be at -2.5 while front will get more than that and zero toe all the way around, iirc.

miataman86 Reader
Aug. 7, 2012 1:04 a.m.

I think I may go with the All-Star's. If they are run on SM, they will be enough to hold me over. They only question remaining in when there is talk about setting the front to 12,5 and the rear to 13.0, what does that mean? Suspension stuff is fairly new to me, other than playing Gran Turismo for a many of years. It's a lot of numbers and I'm trying to learn as much as I possibly can as quickly as I can.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Born In Brooklyn: A Championship RX-7 From an Unlikely Place

9 hours ago in Articles

A Mazda RX-7 autocrosser from the middle of New York City.

GRM Live Tonight on Wednesday, June 28: The Science Behind Fasteners

18 hours ago in News

They hold all of your work together, but do you know when to use each type of fastener?

Your Projects: E46 M3 Transformation

22 hours ago in News

Watch this E46 M3 go from tuned street car to winged time trial racer in just one page.

You Need This: Indian Flat-Track Race Bike, Front Brake Optional

23 hours ago in News

We know, it's not a car but, still, it’s cool.

Autocross: It's a Jeep Thing

1 day ago in Articles

What’s a yellow Jeep doing on an autocross course?

Tech Tips: 2005-'14 Ford Mustang GT

1 day ago in Articles

Want to learn some speed tricks for the S197 Ford Mustang GT? We brought in an expert.

Removing Clear Bra From Project Rallycross Focus

1 day ago in Project Cars

Our latest to-do item was motivated by self-respect rather than speed.

2017 Ram 1500 Night Edition Crew Cab

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

Half-ton trucks are just getting bigger and bigger, aren't they. This Ram 150, dubbed "Night Edition," is really an optioned-out ...

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

1 day ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Action Cam Guide

2 days ago in Articles

Capture your on-track memories with today’s latest and greatest

Reader's Ride of the Week: Troyer Modified Hillclimber

2 days ago in News

It's a circle track car that's been convinced to turn left and right, and go up hills.

You Need This: Track-Ready 1991 Mazda Miata for $5500

2 days ago in News

What’s better than a Miata? How about a Miata that’s ready for the track?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
4NrvlJO6QM9O77LBYVUCD5PONyoYq2sy