1 2
Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/20/09 9:22 a.m.

Go Here.

Then click on Colin Powell's name.

You'll see lines like:

Colin Powell said: Powell told an audience in Vero Beach, Fla., that he often is asked what is it like to be the former secretary of state and away from the limelight and world stage. "One day you are the No. 1 diplomat of the free world and the next day, you ain't," he said with a chuckle that drew laughter, according to a report in the Vero Beach Press Journal. "There's an intellectual emptiness that comes upon you. So I went out and bought a Corvette. I'm considered the most dangerous driver in Virginia."

And...

Colin Powell said: Powell, who is married to the former Alma Vivian Johnson of Birmingham, Ala., lives in McLean, Va., a suburb of Washington, D.C. He is a fan of vintage Volvo cars, which he restores as a hobby.

I present to you....

Colin Powell - Grassroots (if don't count the new 'vette) Motorsports Enthusiasts.

Comrades, our takeover of the modern world has begun by subverting one who was formerly part of the leadership of the free world. Are there any other of our sleeper cells who have been identified? We already spoke of media power monger Adam Corolla.

edited because I screwed up the second quote.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/09 9:37 a.m.

Mr. Leno, Mr. Brian Johnson, Mr. Sean DeVine.

We have all the most important people.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/20/09 9:38 a.m.

In a sense even the new corvette is close enough to grass roots for some one like him. For what you get that car is a steal compared to comprable european cars.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/09 3:13 p.m.

it would be nice to see Jay Leno chime in on occasion

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
3/20/09 3:37 p.m.

Didnt Letterman drive a 5.0 Volvo for awhile?

John Brown
3/20/09 3:52 p.m.

Drew Carey has a BEON with a British flag on the roof.

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
3/20/09 6:28 p.m.

Wait, Brian Johnson? As in AC/DC Brain Johnson?

11110000 New Reader
3/20/09 6:40 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Didnt Letterman drive a 5.0 Volvo for awhile?

Yep. Him and the late Paul Newman.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/20/09 6:50 p.m.

The funny part is that they may actually be on the boards. They are just not flaunting there real ID. I have no proof of this her at GRM but know for a fact that this occurs at another board I frequent and this place is referenced quite often so anything is possible.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
3/20/09 6:57 p.m.

I think, as a community, we should send Colin Powell a GRM subscription.

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/20/09 7:08 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Mr. Leno, Mr. Brian Johnson, Mr. Sean DeVine. We have all the most important people.

I'd just like to assert that I'm none of the above. Nor am I Colin Powell, even though I do have a Corvette, and have owned a vintage Volvo.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
3/20/09 7:17 p.m.

The subsequent owner of Gen Powell's Volvo PV444 (I am assuming he didn't just have one) had it at Import Carlisle a few years ago.

And the present S of S is allegedly preparing a Challenge car (speaking of Volvos), has arranged the acquisition of a number of E30s from A Certain Eastern Regime, and apparently is aware that the answer is always Miata.

Or so I'm told...

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
3/20/09 7:58 p.m.

Charlie Sheen used to frequent the Lightning Board that I was on, as well as Kevin Tetz from TRUCKS!.I can see that there would be some well known people looking for cheap vehicular thrills here.

I, unfortunately, share the same name with a "whateverhappenedto" pretty much known for one role 80's actor that type-casted himself into nothingness....and no, it's not Chevy Chase.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
3/20/09 10:08 p.m.
Salanis wrote: I think, as a community, we should send Colin Powell a GRM subscription.

If you can find his mailing address, it will happen.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/20/09 10:51 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: Charlie Sheen used to frequent the Lightning Board that I was on, as well as Kevin Tetz from TRUCKS!.I can see that there would be some well known people looking for cheap vehicular thrills here. I, unfortunately, share the same name with a "whateverhappenedto" pretty much known for one role 80's actor that type-casted himself into nothingness....and no, it's not Chevy Chase.

Steve Guttenburg?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
3/20/09 11:00 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: I, unfortunately, share the same name with a "whateverhappenedto" pretty much known for one role 80's actor that type-casted himself into nothingness....and no, it's not Chevy Chase.

So you're the great Ron Jeremy?

What's Nina Hartley really like?

Shawn

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
3/20/09 11:07 p.m.
neon4891 wrote:
JFX001 wrote: Charlie Sheen used to frequent the Lightning Board that I was on, as well as Kevin Tetz from TRUCKS!.I can see that there would be some well known people looking for cheap vehicular thrills here. I, unfortunately, share the same name with a "whateverhappenedto" pretty much known for one role 80's actor that type-casted himself into nothingness....and no, it's not Chevy Chase.
Steve Guttenburg?

Yeah, but it was the Stonecutters who made him a star.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
3/21/09 7:32 a.m.

Can we find Condi Rice and get her into a Challenge-eligible car?

gamby
gamby SuperDork
3/21/09 10:30 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Wait, Brian Johnson? As in AC/DC Brain Johnson?

Huge car guy. Vintage races a Cortina.

He's not on this board, though, is he???

Are the 3 int he OP subscribers now???

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
3/21/09 2:17 p.m.

Funny, I can totally picture him in a Cortina.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/21/09 9:07 p.m.

Thinking about it, we should have Clarkson in here, The realy cheep chalenges they have to do fits in great with this croud

John Brown
3/23/09 7:18 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Thinking about it, we should have Clarkson in here, The realy cheep chalenges they have to do fits in great with this croud

His name is really Hess...

John Brown
3/23/09 7:20 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote:
Salanis wrote: I think, as a community, we should send Colin Powell a GRM subscription.

1317 Ballantrae Farm Dr., McLean, VA 22101

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/23/09 10:22 a.m.

Brian Johnson recently bought a sports racer, so I'm not sure if he is still racing the Cortina. His wife also races a bugeye. (no, not a subaru....a SPRITE) Her car was at Sebring this weekend, although I'm not sure if she was driving it.

Brian usually races at the Mitty when he's not on tour. (May 1-3 at Road Atlanta)

Super nice folks who stopped in to the GRM/ CMS tent at last year's Mitty for some "cold blackies!" (Johnsonisim for Guiness)

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
3/23/09 11:13 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
Tom Heath wrote:
1317 Ballantrae Farm Dr., McLean, VA 22101

Done.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xDfRGdKaGz8MJCSgNqofdWu1WVTQzgrvawQmYb6c5TD81iJyA8NaZ9W2liAxYzZc