unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
8/1/10 9:35 p.m.

OK, well, not that old, but older than us.

We recently moved into our new house, and since we have a garage, we figured it was time to load up the pieces of crap and bring them to our new garage.

First off, we drove out to TWS, bummed a trailer, and loaded up my car, an '85 RX-7.

Then we unloaded it at the house, and drove to Brenham (about an hour away) to load up Corbin's POS, an '88 323 GTX.

Getting the GTX off was comical, as he was worried about scraping the front on the ramps (not exactly a car trailer). Even though the RX-7 made it off just fine, he insisted, so we backed the trailer up onto our neighbor's lawn and offloaded there.

Here's our glorious garage by the end of the day.

GTSEX:

RX-7:

Corbin:

To most other people we know, these cars are two buckets of worthless bolts. They're not that far off, as each one was purchased for $500. But I figured you guys would appreciate the eccentricity of this odd college collection. And for those of you wondering, yes, my little 4.2L V6 in my pickup made it the whole day with nary a complaint.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/10 9:36 p.m.

I want a $500 323 GTX

corby_baby
corby_baby New Reader
8/1/10 9:41 p.m.

i would be in the living room folding blankets. my kart takes up too much space

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
8/1/10 10:02 p.m.

Yeah, my car was a good deal, but Corbeypants's was a berkeleying steal.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/1/10 11:38 p.m.

I had an $800 GTX. The head was installed in the trunk

corby_baby
corby_baby New Reader
8/2/10 12:08 a.m.
Keith wrote: I had an $800 GTX. The head was installed in the trunk

i got mine from a hippy out of austin tx who "just wanted a van brah". the price was so good i would have felt bad offering him less. she ran that day, brought her home on a trailer, neglected her in the pasture for just shy of a year (caught up with college, i know im a horrible person), and today she started right up and was ready to go.

in the midst of all this i managed to find a complete jdm b6t w/ turbo and manifolds for 200 bucks with roughly 50-60k on it. ive been waiting to work on this car for far too long, im glad the day has finally come.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/2/10 6:11 a.m.

a $500 car is as almost as good as free...

Sounds like you guys had fun moving cars

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/2/10 6:19 a.m.

MOARKARTINFO

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/2/10 8:26 a.m.

There was one sitting in a local towing yard for a few years, I think they wanted $50 for it. GTXs either seem to sell for under $1000 or over $7000, depending on condition and how frustrated the owner is

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/2/10 8:31 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: MOARKARTINFO

FERCRYINOUTLOUD...EH!

cghstang
cghstang Reader
8/2/10 8:55 a.m.

Here's a GTX in the middle of that range Keith: $2700 CL Cleveland GTX

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
8/2/10 10:25 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: a $500 car is as almost as good as free... Sounds like you guys had fun moving cars

Careful there. Some of the most expensive cars I've ever owned were acquired free or very cheap. :)

digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
8/2/10 10:40 a.m.

now you need to remodel the room above the garage and make it part of the garage, for the lift of course.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/2/10 10:58 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: MOARKARTINFO
FERCRYINOUTLOUD...EH!

you dont see a steering wheel like that on a kart too often without there being good stories associated therein...

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
8/2/10 12:33 p.m.

It's an Emmick single-speed cart with a lap computer, front brakes, and Corbin picked it up for $225 from a guy at the track who just wanted to get rid of it. Doesn't run right now (clutch issues) but the KT100 in there is coming out and it's getting a 125 four-stroke with a gearbox.

And unfortunately, there's no room for a lift. Barely enough for workbenches, but you can't beat the convenience.

corby_baby
corby_baby New Reader
8/2/10 1:42 p.m.

2-stroke air cooled 125cc (to make things easier) will be going on instead. just waiting to find a beat up yamaha or suzuki to buy for cheap with a good motor.

the motor on it now runs, but the drive gear coming off the back of the clutch is worn so the chain skips really bad. cheap easy thing to fix, but i would rather put that money into getting a shifter setup going anyways.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DNF7ZiTu8OQqgr2Sk1RFrqED8Pdor0FmhamxibEhRMLpkBDN7d8Pj1AOMfvfFugl