Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
1/28/17 9:14 p.m.

Hey guys iv got a 88 FC with a 302 swap (sorry no hate for the rotary, my car came with a bad motor and 300lbs of torque is really nice) So iv built some custom cheap side skirts DIY style. Pretty pumped on they way they came out but need to match the paint to the cars paint.

So what do you guys do for paint? I don't really have a way to spray it with a spray gun right now. I know there is one website that I can order the paint from (Paint code A1) But has anyone tried the color match paint at the auto parts store (duplicolor)? But none of the paints in the store say for a Mazda in my gold. I was thinking of just trying a color that was close? Trying to get the paint for around $20 to keep in my $50 budget for the side skirts.

Hopping I can get enough paint from one can to do both side skirts and a front lip, then do the pop up light covers because they are faded.

And photos because what would a post be without photos!

hhaase
hhaase Reader
1/28/17 9:24 p.m.

Some auto parts stores and/or auto body supply places can custom mix right at the shop, and load it into a spray can for you. Generally not the big generic chain places, but often times the regional shops. IIRC the last time I bought one was right around $20 at a place called Sturdevant's, but they're mostly just in South Dakota and Minnesota.

Where you located? Maybe somebody near you can point out a shop. Or perhaps check on PPG's website for a local store.

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
1/28/17 9:30 p.m.

I'm in Raleigh NC, what is this PPG?

Looks like I need to fire up google!

hhaase
hhaase Reader
1/29/17 12:01 a.m.
Skervey wrote: I'm in Raleigh NC, what is this PPG? Looks like I need to fire up google!

PPG is a major paint supplier for car manufacturers and auto body shops. Professional quality stuff, far superior to duplicolor.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
1/29/17 12:13 a.m.

Most auto body supply stores in my city will can mix you some spray bombs fairly inexpensively. Usually the guys working the counter also have a lot (often too much) of knowledge and opinions that will help it look good.

My local one even has a little digital reader that they can use to compensate for UV fade, etc from the original colour code, so bring the car with you if you can.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
1/29/17 2:49 a.m.

I used a spray can to touch up the bumper on a Miata. I don't recall whether I gave them the paint code, or they looked it up. Either way, I just went down to the local paint shop dealing in automotive paints, told them what I was doing, and they mixed up a can within a few minutes. It wasn't perfect, but still more than well enough for my purposes. It also held up better than expected even though I didn't do everything I should have for prep. If it's going on plastic parts, I think it's supposed to be the stuff with a 'flex' additive or whatnot.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/29/17 7:35 a.m.

Teh Mag had an article on using the spray bomb mixed paint. It turned out well, if I recall. Don't remember what car it was. Something European. I recall that you had to use the can within a few days of buying it.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/29/17 7:37 a.m.

My local NAPA has a decent paint department, and can custom mix paint and put it in spray cans.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
1/29/17 7:39 a.m.

If those skirts are flexible plastic, get the additive Driven5 mentioned

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
1/29/17 10:27 a.m.

Raze - That's a good idea they are fairly flexible.

And thanks guys I didn't know having it made into a spray can was so common I thought it would be a lot harder. Obviously iv never done paint and body so this whole project is a learning curve. Well all the PPG's are closed so im going to give NAPA a call.

These skirts will obviously get a beating from rocks and rubber ect, do you think a single stage or base and clear will stand up better?

einy
einy Reader
1/29/17 10:52 a.m.

I'm leaning towards using products from www.automotivetouchup.com this spring when I strip the peeling paint off my S10's hood and reshoot it based on great results that a coworker had with their products.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
1/29/17 11:30 a.m.

@Skervey- There used to be a place behind the Red Lobster on Old Wake Forest Road in Raleigh.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/17 3:36 p.m.

What MrWillie said. In Raleigh, on Market Drive, there is a place that will match the paint and mix up a can for you. It is called National Coating And Supplies.

I live around the corner, if you're going stop by, I'd love to see the car.

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
1/30/17 9:58 a.m.

Sweet! Just found it on google. Going to have to figure out how to get over there im guessing they close at 5. Man i wish i worked 7-4... ill give them a call at lunch and see if they have that paint code.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
1/30/17 12:41 p.m.

In reply to Skervey:

Thanks for posting this. I too thought some paint in a spray can would be difficult to find. Now I have a renewed feeling of getting some bad spots fixed up this spring summer!

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
1/30/17 12:49 p.m.

In reply to Advan046:

Second that!

Also Skervey, those side skirts look really great!

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
1/30/17 12:54 p.m.

Thanks guys! I know nothing about paint and body so this is my first time doing anything more then spay paint wheels black.

So got off the phone with all of the National Coating and Supplies and they will only do spray cans in vary large amounts. Kinda a buzz kill I guess I will PPG a call and see what they say.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
1/31/17 8:08 a.m.

Let me know if this is worth starting a new thread for, but what about spray bomb clear coats? I need to repaint a few spots similar to what Skervey is doing, and I would like it to hold up and match the rest of the car decently. I'm cool with wet sanding and polishing and all that, but is the spray bomb stuff going to last/be relatively hard and hold up to things like bird poo/not turn yellow?

cdowd
cdowd HalfDork
1/31/17 8:59 a.m.

I used this company to get paint to match a mirror that got ripped off my old Saab 9-5 paint scratch . It matched very well and held up great till I sold it.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
1/31/17 9:15 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Teh Mag had an article on using the spray bomb mixed paint. It turned out well, if I recall. Don't remember what car it was. Something European. I recall that you had to use the can within a few days of buying it.

It was Per's Saab 99 rally car.

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
1/31/17 4:52 p.m.

No Id like to know about clear to or if single stage is better for something like this.

Well no luck finding it locally so looks like I will have to order it. Its a little bit cheaper on automotive touch up then paint scratch. You can also get clear coat for $8 from automotive touch up.

Might also wait another month to do this we are trying to save for a house so everything counts.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/31/17 7:38 p.m.

You can get some paint mixed at the place I linked and use a spray-bomb from Lowe's or a craft store, too. Single stage will probably be better.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
1/31/17 8:01 p.m.

I used the duplicolor spray paint on my red civic. I needed to color match some used front fenders that were black. I'd grab some cheap silver spray paint (or similar color) and practice on a piece first. It'll help give you a better understanding of the whole process. Mine turned out really well. Still looked good after a few years when I sold it.

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
1/31/17 9:34 p.m.

Thanks guys. I was quoted about $40 for a 1/2 pint of color matched paint.

I might try one of the duplicolor cans, I think I made a friend at a local auto-zone so maybe he will let me test spray a few different golds to see if anything matches. They are $8 for a 8oz can so two cans will be cheaper and more paint then any online seller. The websites sell for $20 for a 12oz

This is proving to be more of a pain then I had thought it would be.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2vTDFCNz1q8LnVuxHXboMOPECPXZ7PMtRKhmAJizsC7BuB074FH3v5TcK8gCgQuL