12/20/10 7:32 p.m.
  1. Unimog (towing, ZAV, whatever)
  2. BMW M5 wagon
  3. Mazda Furai
mw
mw HalfDork
12/20/10 8:38 p.m.

Currently I have:

98 f250 for towing/ winter dd, P5 wifes car family driver, 97 miata summer dd, Sawzall miata autox/ track, 07 yz125 for two wheeled fun, 62 e type coupe project so I can eventually look classy,

Future plans: Replace f250 with excursion or similar for more people hauling capacity Replace p5 with something a little nicer and likely a little bigger

Who can live with only 3 vehicles?

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
12/20/10 8:51 p.m.

Current fleet has:
VW TDI Golf -- perfect commuter
1998 Subaru Impreza wagon w/STI drivetrain swap -- my wife's DD and our family car, but it's a little hardcore for those purposes, and may not be with us long. It shore is fun tho.
1990 Euro E34 M5 -- non-running project. Perhaps my best purchase. Or my worst. This may ultimately make a better family/road trip car than the Subaru.

Ultimate "reasonable priced" combo? Audi A3 TDI commuter
E39 M5 family hauler/DD
Aircooled 911 Porsche auto-xer/sunny day cruiser

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
12/20/10 8:56 p.m.

OK, here are a few currently in the stable:

Muscle: 70 Vanishing Point Challenger-600hp bb, Keisler 5 spd,etc

Sports(pick one): Ferrari GTC-twelve cylinder goodness and Borranis-Bueller? Bueller? Porsche 911-kitted out to be my version of a 911R Corvette-high hp smallblock,side pipes and one of the sweetest shifting 4 speeds ever

SUV: Holland & Holland limited edition Range Rover-basically unstoppable all the while enjoying a luxurious cocoon.

DD: new GTO converted back to its original Holden look.

And a bunch of other stuff: 3 cars only? no can do.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress New Reader
12/20/10 9:00 p.m.

I've been thinking about this myself. I want a new car, but I've been thinking that what I really need is two cars. Today, I was even being kinda silly and coming up with my list of cars I'd get if I won the lottery (though I never play, it is still fun to dream).

My Realistic Trio

Volkswagen GTI, MK VI Mazda RX-7, 1st Gen. Jeep Cherokee

Cost No Object

Subaru Impreza WRX STi Porsche Cayman S Ford F250 Super Duty

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/20/10 9:34 p.m.

Realistic, mini van and a DDable small fun car, I plan on having this come tax time.

dj
dj New Reader
12/20/10 10:58 p.m.

Right now I'm driving a turbo lexus coupe as my daily driver/highway missile with a tacoma that mainly serves to take up space.

If I were to change things up I'd get a similar truck with an extended cab or just any regular daily beater plus anything not requiring insurance for fun purposes - either a sportbike, dirt bike, or maybe a shifter kart (something light weight and bike powered). Of course I'd only really need the pickup if I had something that was track/off-road only. My concept of heaven includes a rotary powered car and a sportbike or two on the side. Hopefully unlike most concept[car design]s they won't exist only on paper or in someone's mind.

This is the ultimate AADD provoking post, btw.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey HalfDork
12/20/10 11:25 p.m.

Buick Roadmaster with a Duramax swapped in for towing. E34 M5 for daily driver. 1970 Alfa Romeo GTV with an FC20 swap for play thing. Or a Europa with the same engine swap.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
12/20/10 11:34 p.m.

Agreeing with dj about this being the ultimate AADD post..

Between SWMBO & m'self:

92 VW Golf GTI 8v. Was my DD until I hit some debris on the road. Supposed to be the DD again, but hunting down all that plastic crap reminds me of how long ago 1992 really was. I may look for a 00s Subaru as a replacement, just because I've never had a 4WD car.
92 VW Corrado VR6 (black), modified. Was the autocrosser & show car before I hit that junk with the Golf. DD at the moment, and not really happy about it.
92 VW Corrado VR6 (green) stock. Was supposed to be the "survivor" collector car, until water damage to the interior during outdoor storage.

Hers:
94 Jaguar XJ6 (XJ40 chassis). Road trip car. That thing eats up Interstate miles like crazy.
92 Oldsmobile Bravada. When you need a truck, nothing else will do.

She's a student, we don't live far from her college, she uses the Jag as a DD on sunny days, and the Bravada on rainy ones.

pimpm3
pimpm3 New Reader
12/20/10 11:54 p.m.

Right now I have a 1st generation Bronco (1976) for topdown weekend/ offroad camping fun, a caged 1994 B13 SE-R track toy auo-x'er, and a 2001 z71 4x4 Suburban that my wife drives. I would like an e39 540i 6-Speed as a daily to round out the fleet. My wife wants to trade the suburban for a Sequioa and she would be happy.

Right now I drive my work car (2005 Police Impala) most of the time. I am a cop and I get free gas so why not.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/21/10 6:10 a.m.

1994 Toyota 4-Runner

2001 Ford Ranger

Porsche 914

1968 Cortina Project car

BMW R-1100 motorcycle

Naked Goldwing motorcycle

Yep, pretty much covered.

Hal
Hal Dork
12/21/10 8:57 a.m.

Our current lineup:

2000 Buick LeSabre - Wife's DD and road trip car.
2010 Ford Transit Connect - My DD and general hauler.
2001 Ford Focus - Weekend back road fun car. Supercharged, Beefed-up suspension, and sticky tires

Since we have owned all of them from new they are known quantities and fit our needs very well.

scardeal
scardeal Reader
12/21/10 8:59 a.m.

I'd probably do the following:
1. 350Z AutoX/Fun car
2. STi-swapped Forester w/ unibody reinforcements, skid plates and heavy duty springs/shocks.
3. (optional) Miata w/ mild upgrades

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/21/10 9:11 a.m.

I'm pretty happy with our current lineup:

• '97 328is (5spd, Sport Pkg.)- 3 seasons DD
  • '05 Honda Odyssey - Family hauler
  • '05 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton 4X4 Quad Cab - Family hauler, Home Depot runs, dump runs, (and potential tow vehicle if I ever get a trailer)

We also have an '06 RAV4 which is great for when we don't need all of the room in the Odyssey. It's also a great long-trip vehicle.

My ideal 3 would be:

• 1/2 ton 4X4 crew cab pickup - see above
  • E39 M5 - 3 seasons DD
  • Honda Odyssey - family hauler

As you can see, I'm pretty darn happy with what I already have!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/21/10 9:18 a.m.

Daily: Porsche Cayenne Turbo.

Track: 911 GT3 RS.

Haul: Ford/Hennessey Velociraptor.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
12/21/10 9:28 a.m.

Ford mode today:

New F-150 Raptor (no real justification)

New SHO (Atlantic Green with Performance Package)

'65 Shelby GT350

ShadowSix
ShadowSix New Reader
12/21/10 9:28 a.m.
oldtin wrote: Ford excursion w/diesel for towing, dog hauling and building supplies 993 version of 911 as DD vintage track car jeep wrangler for offroading motorcycle for open air and general bike goodness challenge car oops couldn't do it in 3 - good towing traits are exclusive of good offroad traits

+1 on that, good towing and good offroad are sadly mutually exclusive. And to make matters worse, neither make good DD's

So I've got...

'89 Toyota 4Runner 22RE 5 Spd. -- Offroad/inclement weather

'88 Chevy C1500 V8 5 Spd. -- Towing/Hauling/Burnouts

'94 Honda Accord 4 Cyl. 5 Spd. -- DD

Now, I had to sell an '06 350Z due to general disinterest among Ohio employers in hiring recently-discharged, combat-veteran Army officers. I hope to replace it this winter with a more budget-friendly NA Miata, Mk1 MR2, etc.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/21/10 9:56 a.m.

no fair. there are a lot of answers that have more than 3 vehicles here. sure, three is hard... but isn't that the point of the question?

or maybe you are saying that three or less is pointless?

plance1
plance1 Dork
12/21/10 10:51 a.m.
Shaun wrote: 2006-7 Volvo v70r for long distance drives, airport, ikea, groceries, and drift boat towing. Diesel Ford van with a 4wd conversion set up for extended forays into the open west. Is an early NA lotus Elise too much to ask? O.K. A mini cooper s would do.

Lets see some pics of the van!

ShadowSix
ShadowSix New Reader
12/21/10 11:28 a.m.

In reply to MrBenjamonkey:

What is an FC20? A quick google didn't reveal anything.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/21/10 11:38 a.m.

How many pages am I allowed to fill...seriously check out my list and note the number of Stags, if I start dreaming I could blow up the IntRaWeB

ShadowSix
ShadowSix New Reader
12/21/10 11:44 a.m.
itsarebuild wrote: no fair. there are a lot of answers that have more than 3 vehicles here. sure, three is hard... but isn't that the point of the question? or maybe you are saying that three or less is pointless?

Yeah, if the point of the game is to pick three I lose.

The problem is that you start with a car that you autocross, then it becomes your autocross car and gets lowered and stiffened and maybe a little gutted and it's no longer enjoyable to daily drive. Then you get a DD to fill the gap and you're up to two. Then you want to do an autoX or track day a few hours away and you don't have a plausible plan for what to do if you break that autoX car so far away from home so you buy a tow vehicle. Since tow vehicle usually = terrible mileage you probably keep that DD you got and you're up to three. Now, if you have any other motorsports interests, like sport bikes, dirt bikes, drag racing, road racing, $500 crap can racing, or wheeling you're past three vehicles.

I was specifically pointing out that I had come to the same conclusion as a few others here that the same vehicle doesn't wheel (offroad) and haul well. A Wrangler has 4 cu. ft. of cargo capacity and a Duramax Chevy has 73,000 lbs. of weight on the front axle, it's hard to find a good compromise. Example: my 89 4Runner is nice offroad, but if you want to tow a loaded car trailer at greater-than-Model-T speeds you are out of luck.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
12/21/10 11:50 a.m.

Astro, Miata, and MINI CooperS I have already. I'm just short an Alfa Romeo GTV vintage racer ! ... or,a Datsun 510 vintage racer......or,........it's automotive ADD, I think.

Wayslow
Wayslow Reader
12/21/10 12:14 p.m.

My current car combo is:

1969 Lotus Europa

1973 Triumph Spitfire

1998 F150 Tow vehicle/ horse hauler

2007 Grand Caravan kid/dog hauler

2004 Cavalier my 300+k DD

I'll be replacing replacing the Cavalier when it dies. The rest I'm pretty happy with but that could change without notice.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/21/10 12:38 p.m.

after considering the options and he limitations of a "3 only " question, i think maybe i should eliminate the track only cars and list only the street registered vehicles i would chose. so .....

i think the biggest change I' d make is i'd trade the durango for a mid 70's scout with an ls motor for improved drivability and economy. go with a fiberglass tub to reduce weight, increase economy and get rid of the rust that kills the wheel wells. make that a good tow/ haul/ offroad capable vehicle

to fill the void left by omitting the track car, i'd get a new dd. again. not so amazed with whats available new, so maybe i'd get an old early 90's 4 door 5 speed 325 and nice it up some.....

then fill the rest of my yard with track cars!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3F5XDeZlKaliBQF3LUgfH8DkXn6L5VeAMIzwwtqdhZmK1dZ0F1eOMN72ULAQMIWQ