Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
10/16/14 11:10 a.m.

We've had a lot of people ask if they can spectate at the $2014 Challenge. The answer is yes. Here's how:

Come to Auto Plus Raceway at Gainesville, Florida, on Friday, October 24th or on Saturday, October 25th. Drive in, park, and walk around.

There's no fee, and all ages are welcome.

Yes, there's food and drinks available at the track.
Yes, there are shady, comfortable spots to hang out.
Yes, you can hang out with the crazy people who build these cars, as well as almost all of the magazine's staff.
Yes, you can go almost anywhere. There are few barriers or fences to keep you away from the action.
Yes, this community is exactly as great as it sounds on the Internet.

Now, the next question: What about Sonny's BBQ on Friday, or the awards banquet on Saturday?

Anyone is welcome to attend either or both of those. If you'd like to join us for BBQ between the autocross and the drag race on Friday, it's $12. If you'd like to join us for the fancy awards banquet, it's $65 and comes with a free ticket to Friday's BBQ. Click here by Wednesday to purchase banquet tickets or BBQ tickets, or buy just the BBQ tickets at the event.

Last question: What about the parking lot antics you've heard so much about?

Those take place at the Best Western Gateway Grand, located at 4200 NW 97th Blvd., Gainesville, Fla., 32606.

People are almost always hanging out in the parking lot. They fix cars, tell lies, and engage in the occasional test of physical ability. It's a great time, and also a safe one–the lot is patrolled by friendly police officers, so don't worry about bringing the young'ns out to enjoy the party. You'll see the magazine's staff out in the parking lot, too.

The fun usually starts a little after sunset, and goes as late as 1 or 2am. Anyone is welcome to come hang out, and we encourage you come see what really makes this event tick.

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
10/16/14 6:21 p.m.

So are you guys still planning on running the shuttle-bus between Gainesville and Toledo for this?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/14 8:31 p.m.

Can someone call work and explain why they don't néed me for a few days?

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
10/16/14 9:18 p.m.

In reply to Wally:

I would be more than happy to make that call, but I really don't think I have much pull.

chief8one
chief8one New Reader
10/17/14 4:53 a.m.
grafmiata wrote: So are you guys still planning on running the shuttle-bus between Gainesville and Toledo for this?

Swing through columbus, I'm game!

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
10/17/14 5:45 a.m.

In reply to Wally:

Have you been to West Africa recently?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/17/14 10:14 a.m.
Wally wrote: Can someone call work and explain why they don't néed me for a few days?

Just tell them you have a special assignment. (Driving the shuttle from the hotel to the track.)

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/17/14 10:55 a.m.

Mango's not going so we can draft Wally into driving the 1966 MCI, retired Greyhound Bus!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
10/17/14 2:29 p.m.

Update: you can purchase meal tickets through our online store:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/store/merchandise/

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/14 2:38 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I'd love too but it seems whenever I want a few days off I'm suddenly indispensable.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
10/21/14 9:22 a.m.

So sad I can't make it this year. :(

Pat
Pat HalfDork
10/21/14 10:40 a.m.
unevolved wrote: So sad I can't make it this year. :(

Same here. Hope everyone has a blast!

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/21/14 12:07 p.m.