David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/30/17 1:59 p.m.
feature_image

Need to accelerate from zero to 100 kph in only 2.8 seconds? Porsche now offers a solution with their forthcoming 911 GT2 RS. Thanks to 700 horsepower, they say it’s the most powerful 911 ever offered. If only we were all rich instead of good looking.

Here’s the full release.

Porsche unveils the most powerful 911 of all time

Stuttgart/Goodwood. …

Read the rest of the story

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/30/17 2:08 p.m.

I was just about to order one but then I saw that it was €285,220 before options and it gave me a moment's hesitation.

On the plus side, despite the lack of a precision titanium timepiece with a tungsten winding... my $15k motorcycle is still a tic or two faster and so I can save up the difference while enjoying slightly better performance until they up their game some

David S. Wallens
6/30/17 2:21 p.m.

I knew you'd like it.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/17 2:35 p.m.

That car solves problems that I never knew I had.

David S. Wallens
6/30/17 2:49 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: That car solves problems that I never knew I had.

Exactly. Just process that: Zero to 60 in 2.8 seconds in a fully equipped passenger car. And we keep hearing that performance is dead.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/17 2:52 p.m.
Porsche said: The new Porsche 911 GT2 RS will celebrate its world premiere at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK (June 30 to July 2).

but they already world premiered it In an unprecedented announcement at E3 to also announce it as the cover car on Forza 7 and a multi year partnership.

Either way, I guess it's cool. It'll be fun to see it moving and making noise.

Edit: I stand somewhat corrected

As for the car itself, technical specs were not released during the E3 presentation, but at least we do get to see its wild body looking like a 911 GT3 RS on steroids and a heavy dose of carbon fiber. It gets a massive rear wing and vented front fenders, along with a carbon fiber roof, and aggressive front bumper.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/30/17 3:28 p.m.

Wow--- it's almost as quick as a Dodge Demon---- for three times the price!

These are crazy times....

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/30/17 3:41 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I knew you'd like it.

I do love it. I am the classic champagne taste on a beer budget guy though so I have to wait until they depreciate in five years or so for like 180k and then I can sweep in and get one!

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/30/17 3:43 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Wow--- it's almost as quick as a Dodge Demon---- for three times the price! These are crazy times....

Oh... I imagine the Demon to have a few problems beating this thing at just about anything in the real world this side of a drag launch. But, you can get four Demons for that price. Then crash them all trying to keep up with me in my five year old 700HP 911

Also, for some reason, Dodge Demon and Hairy Sausage Fingers seem to be linked in my mind. I picture the next door neighbor from That 70s Show as the typical driver.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
6/30/17 3:45 p.m.

Unless it goes like a cayman gt4. Orders start rolling in above msrp and never come down.

David S. Wallens
6/30/17 3:49 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Unless it goes like a cayman gt4. Orders start rolling in above msrp and never come down.

Also, the GT3 4.0.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/30/17 5:23 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
dean1484 wrote: That car solves problems that I never knew I had.
Exactly. Just process that: Zero to 60 in 2.8 seconds in a fully equipped passenger car. And we keep hearing that performance is dead.

No, it's just ridiculous performance is out of reach for most.

That said, I'm very seriously considering putting a deposit on an RS3. Small, classy well appointed sedan that does 0-60 in less than 4 secs for $55k............I'm very interested.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
6/30/17 5:50 p.m.

^ I like that that chassis is so compact and the I5 is delicious. Too bad about the FWD based Haldex thing instead of OG style Quattro. To me the small jump to F80 M3 seems obvious. I'm also trying to put kids in the back though so perhaps different priorities.

Regarding the GT2RS....super cool but another unobtainium P car. Just like GT3RS, RS 4.0, 911 R... Their marketing is great, people lining up for these things as if they weren't $150,000+ 911s. I would too if I could

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/30/17 7:53 p.m.

Even with all that, I still don't care for 911s. It's a personal thing.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/30/17 8:44 p.m.

No doubt this 700+ HP car is as silly and useless as the other one

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
6/30/17 9:25 p.m.

700hp is the new 500hp. I approve of this war.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/17 10:08 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Even with all that, I still don't care for 911s. It's a personal thing.

I never did either until I got to flog a GT2 in anger. It's simply magical. Prior to driving it, the Mitsu Evo had my vote as the most telepathic car, but it's not even close to the GT2. This car must be yet another step beyond that.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
7/1/17 5:41 p.m.

I love it.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/3/17 2:40 p.m.

paint it in Jaegermeister livery please.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yvwqlX7BmQoVxQuyKoMGtF4xkEGN68yFfza3NLlEUW2R5Ymc2ZyIk0cV4MQOIFmT