1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28
Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/12/17 8:52 a.m.

Stop with the duct tape and bailing wire. Buy this https://xenforo.com/ Magically have all the features everyone is asking for because they are used to having them pretty much everywhere else there is a forum on the internet. Get maintenance updates without having to code them yourselves. Get better SEO url structure in the process.

Spend the rest of your facelift budget migrating your user and thread database into it. Any decent DBA can get that done lickety-split and you will be all caught up to 2007! 

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
9/12/17 9:48 a.m.

Not bored enough to read through the whole thread.

Has anyone mentioned the liberal waste of real estate in this format?

My scroll finger is getting a callus on it!!!

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
9/12/17 10:28 a.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

People have, I've given it a chance and am still not liking that, way too much header/footer white space on the posts. 

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
9/12/17 10:37 a.m.

In reply to Huckleberry :

That's been recommended many times. I don't think it allows them the advertising ability/space that this one does.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/12/17 10:44 a.m.

I shared my CSS override if anyone wants to try it:

https://freestyler.ws/style/155725/grm-board-whitespace-diet

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/12/17 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Zomby Woof :

I don't think that is the real limitation at all.

I suppose there is a certain charm to a home-made, awkward, clunky interface that is difficult to use - I mean, I'm drinking coffee out of a clay mug my son made in art class when he was 9. It's a horrible coffee mug, comparable to the way this is a horrible forum ... but I still use it every day devil

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/12/17 7:33 p.m.

So here's an odd problem.  

The ads.

Here at home, I have an old POS computer that I need to replace.  After the W10 update, it's now very slow on WiFi.  With the new board, for some reasons, the ads start to load and reload- so when I'm typing, there are a lot of interruptions.  So for me to read and interact with the page, I'm forced to run with an ad blocker.  

I know this isn't desired.  But it's either ad blocker or nothing.

Basically, something changed in the ads and how they load with the new page.  

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/12/17 10:19 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock :

Point taken. I hadn't even had access to news, facebook, etc much for the last three days....so hurricane, North Korea, Trump, etc. Out of sight, out of mind I guess. no

That said, with the abstraction of the internet it sometimes hard to associate the web programming with a specific physical location (our programmers are 1,000 miles away from my office, for example).  I think I just assumed there is some etherial computer geek sitting in the cloud someplace doing this stuff!

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
9/13/17 7:48 a.m.
irish44j said:

That said, with the abstraction of the internet it sometimes hard to associate the web programming with a specific physical location (our programmers are 1,000 miles away from my office, for example).  I think I just assumed there is some etherial computer geek sitting in the cloud someplace doing this stuff!

Even if that's the case, they're only doing what the GRM guys tell them to.  So if the GRM guys are busy dealing with hurricanes and not telling the programmers what to do, the programmers do nothing.  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/13/17 8:40 a.m.

Where is the line between constructive criticism and whining? Can that be accurately defined or is just something that everyone will have their own opinion about?

2_3
2_3 New Reader
9/13/17 11:21 a.m.
Huckleberry said:

In reply to Zomby Woof :

I don't think that is the real limitation at all.

I suppose there is a certain charm to a home-made, awkward, clunky interface that is difficult to use - I mean, I'm drinking coffee out of a clay mug my son made in art class when he was 9. It's a horrible coffee mug, comparable to the way this is a horrible forum ... but I still use it every day devil

That description fits many of the cars here and the owners are perfectly fine with them

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
9/13/17 1:18 p.m.

Just so you all know, we're going to launch another revision to the update soon. Stay tuned!

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/13/17 1:27 p.m.
T.J. said:

Where is the line between constructive criticism and whining? Can that be accurately defined or is just something that everyone will have their own opinion about

I feel like everyone here sincerely cares about GRM and there are real folks on the receiving end of that criticism.   Because if they didn't, the feedback would look more like YouTube comments.  This is the Internet, after all.

GRM has great products.  The board is a GRM product.  The board will get fixed, right?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/13/17 1:50 p.m.
rslifkin said:
irish44j said:

Even if that's the case, they're only doing what the GRM guys tell them to.  So if the GRM guys are busy dealing with hurricanes and not telling the programmers what to do, the programmers do nothing.  

We have a good programming team behind us. They're located in Orlando, so they have also been dealing with the storm. Then add to that the fact that the office was down for the weekend, Ed bugged out to a place with (crappy) satellite internet, and I can't even do cellular data from home. Basically, we all were cut off for a few days. Oh, and somewhere in there a server in Atlanta went down, taking us with it for a few. 

Fortunately we're back. 

David S. Wallens
9/13/17 1:50 p.m.

Edit to my above post: The office is back. My house is still dark and unconnected to the internet. If I'm lucky, I can send and receive texts. 

David S. Wallens
9/13/17 1:52 p.m.
Ian F said:

One thing - check the "robo-ad" settings for the ads at the top and bottom of the right side column.  While most of the ads are car-related, occasionally I'll see some that may not match the magazine's editorial ethos. 

Thanks. We'll check the settings again. We have blocked a lot of ad categories, but we'll run through it again. 

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/13/17 2:52 p.m.

I like the update so far- browsing the list of threads is definitely improved.

Ed Higginbotham
9/13/17 2:53 p.m.

Alright. Update applied. You'll probably have to clear your cache for the titles to display smaller.

Ed Higginbotham
9/13/17 3:00 p.m.

If you're using Safari and see a scroll bar on "The Latest" section, don't worry. We reported it.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/13/17 3:03 p.m.

much more better...

Ed Higginbotham
9/13/17 3:08 p.m.

Glad you like it!

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
9/13/17 3:25 p.m.

The update looks better but I can't quote or reply any more. I click them and it brings up the post box but I can't do anything with it.

Ed Higginbotham
9/13/17 3:28 p.m.
Grizz said:

The update looks better but I can't quote or reply any more. I click them and it brings up the post box but I can't do anything with it.

Hm. Seems to be working for me. Maybe try again in a few minutes. When we first updated the layout I seem to remember a couple people had the same issue, but then it resolved itself in a couple minutes. 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/13/17 3:30 p.m.

I like it "Do The Tighten Up"  I am basic Google and it Applied if that's saying it right. much better

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
9/13/17 3:59 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham :

Three things:

I'm old, set in my ways, and kind of miserable. So these constant changes aren't giving me enough time to get used to the "new" layout and it's driving me nuts. If that's your goal, you're succeeding. 

It looks great on my work computer, IE and smaller monitor. Not so much on a 27" MAC on FF

Can you remind us again why  you don't use an already available forum? I know you told us but a recent comment brought it up and though I thought I remembered, I'm probably wrong.

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gofRyy0tGgEhdKxiQFEKaRGIZhtg23JjkvxxTOmrBc10rTk1EhGtXwQOum88QMxj