1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
9/13/17 4:25 p.m.

The main issue is that an off-the-shelf forum wouldn't integrate with the comments sections in the rest of the content on the site. 

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
9/13/17 4:36 p.m.

I'm pretty happy with most of the changes. The format is a bit stark, but the added functionality seems good.

A "View First New Post" button would be life changing.  I have a hard time following the epic build threads because I can never remember what page I'm on.  Last I checked Mazduece had just gotten the engine pulled out of his COE. What page is that on??? It takes too much digging and I'm quick to give up.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/13/17 4:40 p.m.

I like the update - step in the right direction.  I'm still overriding it because there is still a ton of white space.  Even with my overrides, the old forum provides more content density.

Tom Suddard said:

The main issue is that an off-the-shelf forum wouldn't integrate with the comments sections in the rest of the content on the site. 

Site content comments

Integrated with a forum

See Ars Technica

(For what its worth, Ars Technica has a great comment integration between forum/other site content.  They use phpBB.)

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/13/17 4:57 p.m.

I am loving today's revision!  The alternating gray/white makes it much easier to differentiate between threads. Love the red "last post by..." font.

Ooh! The post button says "Post" now. AND the Edit/Quote/Reply/Delete buttons are half width on my phone and take up a lot less real estate. 

Everything looks much better. Thanks for all your hard work yes

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
9/13/17 5:03 p.m.

Couldn't have said it better than ECM, love the updates! Well done!

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
9/13/17 5:07 p.m.
2002maniac said:

I'm pretty happy with most of the changes. The format is a bit stark, but the added functionality seems good.

A "View First New Post" button would be life changing.  I have a hard time following the epic build threads because I can never remember what page I'm on.  Last I checked Mazduece had just gotten the engine pulled out of his COE. What page is that on??? It takes too much digging and I'm quick to give up.

I don't even think it needs to be a button. At ADVrider all I have to do is click on a thread and it automatically takes me to where I left off. I'm not smart enough to know how or why but my thinking is if they can do it GRM can do it too.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/13/17 5:27 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock :

Baldy slid a new, customized skinned version of Xenforo under Advrider at the last upgrade about three years back. It's got all the magic built in.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/13/17 5:36 p.m.

They used to have that functionality here!!

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Dork
9/13/17 5:42 p.m.

An observation or two and an idea for the desktop layout. Thoughts?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/13/17 5:53 p.m.

So I haven't seen any mention of the tagging feature. 

Was it a one off occurrence or a more subtle addition?

What I mean is, in another thread, someone mentioned my name. On my screen, my name was a red link that went to my profile.

I tried this with a few other people's names in my own post and nothing changed on my screen. 

So what's up with that? Will it lead to notifications of mentions or likes? Just a random way for us to see someone else is talking about us?

EastCoastMojo
9/13/17 6:02 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

You mean like this?

RevRico
9/13/17 6:09 p.m.

Yes, but it was in the body of the post, like this EastCoastMojo .

Also, quote and reply still aren't working on mobile for me. 

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
9/13/17 6:42 p.m.

Still no luck on getting rid of the flashlight white background?  On a 17" laptop, it's irritating as hell.  Am I the only one with this issue?  

EastCoastMojo
9/13/17 6:48 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I made your name a link manually, I don't think there is a script that would insert the link automatically, but I'm not a web developer either. Have you cleared your browser's cache? Once I did that all the buttons work like they're supposed to.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/17 7:53 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I'm afraid I did that. I was too lazy to remember the spelling, so I copied your name off the top of your post, and pasted it into the body of my post. It not only copied the word, it copied the link as well. I should have pasted it as plain text. RevRico RevRico 

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
9/13/17 8:15 p.m.

The quote and reply buttons don't work for me

RevRico
9/13/17 8:32 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

In reply to RevRico :

I'm afraid I did that. I was too lazy to remember the spelling, so I copied your name off the top of your post, and pasted it into the body of my post. It not only copied the word, it copied the link as well. I should have pasted it as plain text. RevRico RevRico 

Ooo ok. I was wondering. It seemed strange if you'd manually made a link, but good to know copy paste works that way. 

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/14/17 7:33 a.m.

One thing I've noticed but don't know if it's a problem with the website itself or with the browser I'm using (older IE work is limited to...), but the editor is set up so you can hit CTL-I to get italics. Sometimes it works properly and you can hit the shortcut and have it work, other times it looks like it's going to but then doesn't and you have to highlight what you want italicized and then hit either the italic button or CTL-I...

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/14/17 7:58 a.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock said:
2002maniac said:

I don't even think it needs to be a button. At ADVrider all I have to do is click on a thread and it automatically takes me to where I left off. I'm not smart enough to know how or why but my thinking is if they can do it GRM can do it too.

My guess is that is some sort of cookie function.

Yay!  Quotes work for me again! Although my laptop just did a few thousand updates last night/this morning, so maybe that had something to do with it.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/14/17 8:47 a.m.

I tried to reply that the quote and reply buttons are not working for me, also, but I can't, since they aren't working for me also.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/14/17 9:11 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

That's weird. Working fine for me. What browser are you using?

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
9/14/17 9:14 a.m.

We'll look into the non-functioning quote and reply buttons now. And like Margie said, feel free to let us know what browser you're using if these buttons aren't working for you.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
9/14/17 9:16 a.m.
2002maniac said:

I'll look into this today. Thanks for the feedback.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/14/17 9:17 a.m.

I fixed the quote and reply with the global all time cookies removal suggestion. 

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/14/17 11:14 a.m.

To pick a nit, could our avatars be a bit bigger? I think eliminating the padding around them within the gray background area would be perfect.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SwZc2zVzXlc52JB9vatiBAR0HPEYWxyt5gdAeyUtxasxtEqiu3CECnirBDWuQBcI