1 2 3 4 ... 28
Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/31/17 1:49 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: DEAR GOD NO!! NOT CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, cool. I'm always up for a refresh.

While I'm usually like this, I'm not here for the software. If the people weren't so awesome I'd have ditched long ago. This is a much needed and well appreciated update!

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
8/31/17 1:49 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote: Change is good!!! One quick note to everyone, although we can insert images directly to the site (yeah!!!), let's make sure the ubiquitous hotlink thread stays as a hotlink thread. I think it would easily overload the GRM servers if they were trying to host it..... -Rob

That's a good point. Once photos are able to be uploaded, we'll probably have to impose a limit to how much one person can upload in a certain amount of time. Don't worry, it won't be super low or anything.

We wanted to make sure build thread photos were preserved for the future. But that's a later update. Like it says in the first post, that's coming soon, but won't be here Tuesday.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/31/17 1:50 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: The best is just getting better!!!! Thanks!!!

You said that wrong. The best is getting bester.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/31/17 1:50 p.m.

This is an embarrassment of riches!

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/31/17 1:56 p.m.

While we have you ear ... any chance we could get a "go to first unread post in thread" button like we used to have?

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/31/17 2:08 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: While you're at it, have the board software read every post and take photobucket links and download them, host them, and redo the links to legacy threads. OK?

If only!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/31/17 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham:

Sounds awesome. Somebody will still bitch.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/31/17 2:19 p.m.

Additional question about the photo-embedding:

With our company's forum, you can copy/paste an image directly into the editor, and it's AWESOME! With a competitor's forum that I've used, you have to upload and manage the image, then choose it to insert which is very cumbersome.

If there's a choice, go with the former :) Any idea what the structure of it will be?

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/31/17 2:21 p.m.

For photos we upload is there a practical limit for photo size! Or in other words. At what point will the file size of the loaded image not make a difference in the post image? I'm asking in the hopes that If we can keep our images under that file size it will allow you to host more images!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/31/17 2:23 p.m.

we can haz a leaderboard again please?!?

Otherwise, I think I will love the updates! Im truly impressed with the support the forums get from GRM. Most media outlets treat their web presence as the bastard son they never wanted...

Ed Higginbotham
8/31/17 2:27 p.m.
WonkoTheSane wrote: Additional question about the photo-embedding: With our company's forum, you can copy/paste an image directly into the editor, and it's AWESOME! With a competitor's forum that I've used, you have to upload and manage the image, then choose it to insert which is very cumbersome. If there's a choice, go with the former :) Any idea what the structure of it will be?

Just tested this on our test site. You can select an image from your files to upload or just drag and drop.

Ed Higginbotham
8/31/17 2:30 p.m.
itsarebuild wrote: In reply to Ed Higginbotham: For photos we upload is there a practical limit for photo size! Or in other words. At what point will the file size of the loaded image not make a difference in the post image? I'm asking in the hopes that If we can keep our images under that file size it will allow you to host more images!

About 600-800px wide is about what the forum usually resizes linked images to.

Ed Higginbotham
8/31/17 2:33 p.m.
dculberson wrote: While we have you ear ... any chance we could get a "go to first unread post in thread" button like we used to have?

I just asked our developers about this. They're going to look into what it would take to make that happen. No promises yet.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/31/17 2:33 p.m.
wheels777 wrote: Will the Challenge be on it's own page?

We've discussed that and decided to keep it part of the main forum. We like having it front and center.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/31/17 2:42 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote:
dculberson wrote: While we have you ear ... any chance we could get a "go to first unread post in thread" button like we used to have?
I just asked our developers about this. They're going to look into what it would take to make that happen. No promises yet.

Cool, thanks. We appreciate all you guys do to keep this community great!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/31/17 2:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
wheels777 wrote: Will the Challenge be on it's own page?
We've discussed that and decided to keep it part of the main forum. We like having it front and center.

I applaud this decision. In fact, I'll stand up and applaud it.

David S. Wallens
8/31/17 2:45 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Ed Higginbotham wrote:
Cool, thanks. We appreciate all you guys do to keep this community great!

And back at you guys. Thank you for making this a fun/educational place to hang out.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/31/17 2:51 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

It's going to be too slow, and too bright and too white. Where's all the old cars?

There, that's out of the way.

David S. Wallens
8/31/17 2:52 p.m.
Duke wrote: In reply to Ed Higginbotham: Sounds awesome. Somebody will still bitch.

Yeah, we know. Plus we know that there will be technical issues, too, even though we have been through the new message board a bunch of times using various machines and browsers. If you have an issue (after clearing your cache, of course) please provide us with as much info as possible: browser, operating system, etc. That will help us chase down the issue.

Thanks.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/31/17 3:15 p.m.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/31/17 6:49 p.m.

In a weird way, I kind of want the post counts to drop. Just so I can get back into post whore mode again.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/31/17 7:32 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote:
WonkoTheSane wrote: Additional question about the photo-embedding: With our company's forum, you can copy/paste an image directly into the editor, and it's AWESOME! With a competitor's forum that I've used, you have to upload and manage the image, then choose it to insert which is very cumbersome. If there's a choice, go with the former :) Any idea what the structure of it will be?
Just tested this on our test site. You can select an image from your files to upload or just drag and drop.

Cool, that'll work . Thanks for testing it!

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
8/31/17 7:40 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote:
itsarebuild wrote: In reply to Ed Higginbotham: For photos we upload is there a practical limit for photo size! Or in other words. At what point will the file size of the loaded image not make a difference in the post image? I'm asking in the hopes that If we can keep our images under that file size it will allow you to host more images!
About 600-800px wide is about what the forum usually resizes linked images to.

And I absolutely love the fact that the forum resizes the images without me needing to resize or just making them all thumbnails that you have to click to be able to see. That makes everything so nice.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
8/31/17 8:12 p.m.

Well, since you guys are going to host the images now (hurray! ! !), I guess there's no longer any excuse for me. I'll have to start my build thread now.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
8/31/17 8:32 p.m.

It's awesome that you guys love us enough to try to make it better, and that it's important to you that we use this forum as a reference, and want to make sure we still can (with the build threads and so on)

Keep up the good work!

1 2 3 4 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oDeVZ804irnuytwjvynPrMpPJVeL3BDGFsdz0lOojQ9cHLOMwH37CHVSC5Cxjrtb