1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28
nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
9/20/17 12:10 a.m.

Potential glitch in the matrix. From the main website page I accidentally tapped 'Features' instead of 'Forum' in the little three bar menu which works fine.. Tried to tap that menu again to go to 'Forum' as I intended but it won't do it. Looks like it's trying though. smiley

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
9/20/17 12:11 a.m.

Kindle Fire for what it's worth.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/17 6:41 a.m.

If one change could be made I would like to see the thread titles use the same font size as the text below them and keep them bold. The bolding will make them stand out just fine they don't need to be supersize font as well.  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
9/20/17 7:57 a.m.

A lot of talk about changing things for better readability on phones & devices, which seems to effect desktop users. 

Disclaimer: I'm no techie, but isn't it possible to have a separate interface format for mobile, and a unique one for desktop?   Wouldn't that allow optimization of both?  Kinda like a dedicated track car and tow pig.  Each can be set up for the specific requirements.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
9/20/17 8:21 a.m.
bigben said:

Somethings seem spread too thin while others are jumbo for no good reason. (Viewing on large Android phone and 8" tablet). Also, what side bar!? I'd love it if some of this excess white space within the thread were taken up by a side bar that enticed me to go look at awesome articles and cool build threads. 

On the mobile interface the sidebar is at the bottom of the page and the list of latest articles is reduced to one. If you view on a laptop or desktop you get a sidebar full of articles.

Ed Higginbotham
9/20/17 8:38 a.m.
SVreX said:

But I really can't give you solid positive feedback because I can't get past the terrible editing issues and default punctuation issues previously discussed .  I can't spend enough time here to come up with constructive feedback until those things are fixed- it's really unuseable .

Can you expound on the editing issues for me in an email? For what it's worth, I have an iPhone SE and have no trouble typing, editing and posting a comment. The double-tap on the space bar inputs a period and I can easily scroll back through and edit the post.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
9/20/17 9:29 a.m.

Still not liking the new format.

And the smiley icons are less appealing that they used to be.  It might just be me but I'm spending less time and posting less these days.  Not real pleased with this change.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/20/17 10:43 a.m.
Ed Higginbotham said:
SVreX said:

But I really can't give you solid positive feedback because I can't get past the terrible editing issues and default punctuation issues previously discussed .  I can't spend enough time here to come up with constructive feedback until those things are fixed- it's really unuseable .

Can you expound on the editing issues for me in an email? For what it's worth, I have an iPhone SE and have no trouble typing, editing and posting a comment. The double-tap on the space bar inputs a period and I can easily scroll back through and edit the post.

I'll try, but really can't do it soon. I'm trying to keep a medical facility running. 

Try going into a post you've already made and editing it. That seems to be the moment when things get the worst. 

And the problems are random. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 

When I make a post, I usually say too much. I read it before posting, and often edit first. Stuff is the worst when I edit (either before or after posting). 

Capitizaltion, spell check, periods at end of sentences, punctuation, and paragraph starts. All problematic. 

But the worst thing is what Dean described earlier. If you try to edit paragraph 1 of a 3 paragraph post, the display will ONLY show the end of paragraph 3. You have to guess what you are typing at the top of the post, and keep scrolling up and down to see it. 

Ed Higginbotham
9/20/17 10:56 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Okay, I see what you guys are talking about now. My phone is doing it, too. Reporting it as we speak. Thanks.

Regarding the other items, capitalization, Apple's spell check and periods work on my phone as they should. I'll see if it works as intended on Tom's phone. He has an iPhone 7.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/20/17 11:58 a.m.
Ed Higginbotham said:
bigben said:

Somethings seem spread too thin while others are jumbo for no good reason. (Viewing on large Android phone and 8" tablet). Also, what side bar!? I'd love it if some of this excess white space within the thread were taken up by a side bar that enticed me to go look at awesome articles and cool build threads. 

On the mobile interface the sidebar is at the bottom of the page and the list of latest articles is reduced to one. If you view on a laptop or desktop you get a sidebar full of articles.

That's only the case if you're viewing the site in portrait.  I tend to surf it landscape with the tablet, and so correctly see the sidebar as on desktop.

I'm glad I did that test, though... because typing in posts might be a bit easier with this tablet in portrait mode (iPad4).

How is the text entry box size determined?  All one pixel height, and fill to available width?  When I'm landscape with this "soon to be antiquated tablet" it's about the max height that's workable. In portrait mode, I could stand to pick up the height of the newly grey "personal post header" space thing.

Another thing I just noticed (in portrait mode, chrome, iOS 10.3.3):  if I select one of the "entry items" (smiley, special characters, etc)... whenever that overlay disappears, the page "auto scrolls" putting the top of the text entry box at the bottom of the viewable page (I.e. So the text is behind the keyboard).

Ed Higginbotham
9/20/17 12:07 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

Another thing I just noticed (in portrait mode, chrome, iOS 10.3.3):  if I select one of the "entry items" (smiley, special characters, etc)... whenever that overlay disappears, the page "auto scrolls" putting the top of the text entry box at the bottom of the viewable page (I.e. So the text is behind the keyboard).

Just reported this, too. Thanks.

sleepyhead said:

How is the text entry box size determined?

I'd have to ask our developers on that one, but I would assume it's the max space available until it reaches a certain height. 

sleepyhead
9/20/17 12:44 p.m.

In playing around with portrait and landscape mode on the tablet, I found an auto-scaling bug that's happening on my "your latest comments" page.  If I go landscape-portrait-landscape the landscape holds the upscale size of portrait mode.  It doesn't happen on "latest topics" page.  Cleared my cache & reloaded the page.  Still seeing this happen.  I can provide screen caps if needed.

I'll also say that the "upscaling" that's applied to portrait view (compared to landscape) seems overly aggressive.  I see the same number of topics in either view... where I'd expect to see more in portrait.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/20/17 6:35 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham :

Tonight was the first time I tried the new format on a full sized computer- MacBook Pro.

It's really not bad.  A lot of white, but reasonably functional.  A few tweaks, and it should be good.

I think I realized why you may not be seeing some of the issue I see.  You primarily use the site on a desktop, and then check to see if you can do most of the same stuff on a mobile phone.  

I do the opposite.  I primarily use my phone.  100% until today. And as a primary interface, it's awful.  I am not comparing it to the desktop version, I am trying to use it independently, and it is really disheartening.  

I am a bit surprised, because it seems the mobile platforms should now be a priority.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/20/17 6:37 p.m.

...I even tried editing, punctuation, etc.  Everything seems fine.

It's the mobile interface.  iPhone 7

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
9/20/17 6:53 p.m.

The "quote" funtion does not work

sleepyhead
9/20/17 7:00 p.m.
SVreX said:

...I even tried editing, punctuation, etc.  Everything seems fine.

It's the mobile interface.  iPhone 7

I'm curious SVreX... what browser are you using on your iPhone?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/20/17 7:17 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Safari.

sleepyhead
9/20/17 7:44 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to sleepyhead :

Safari.

Thanks.  I haven't tried the site on Safari on the iPad yet.... only Chrome.   Yeah, that editing thing is definitely an "across iOS" thing... and not just Chrome.

Althoguh I'm typing this one out in Safari.  That's interesting, the "althoguh" didn't autocorrect, but others are.  Hrm.

I'll note that typing stuff into the text box... seems slower / laggy compared to using Chrome; but I haven't tried stress testing typing into chrome like I am here in safari.

frown

I'll note, SVreX, that I've had better luck getting bold/italic to work via the keyboard input... and not the text box one.  And it can be confusing if you use the text box button because the button has a weird box around it after you push it that doesn't seem related to the current "input state"

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/20/17 9:15 p.m.

FWIW, Ed's post here was like 1hr 10 minutes ago, but in the "latest comments" listing, it says it was 16 minutes ago.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/grassroots-motorsports-live-o/132916/page1/#post2372214

Ed Higginbotham
9/21/17 11:33 a.m.
SVreX said:
Ed Higginbotham said:
SVreX said:

I'll try, but really can't do it soon. I'm trying to keep a medical facility running. 

Try going into a post you've already made and editing it. That seems to be the moment when things get the worst. 

And the problems are random. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. 

When I make a post, I usually say too much. I read it before posting, and often edit first. Stuff is the worst when I edit (either before or after posting). 

Capitizaltion, spell check, periods at end of sentences, punctuation, and paragraph starts. All problematic. 

But the worst thing is what Dean described earlier. If you try to edit paragraph 1 of a 3 paragraph post, the display will ONLY show the end of paragraph 3. You have to guess what you are typing at the top of the post, and keep scrolling up and down to see it. 

Okay, this issue should be fixed now. Thank you for reporting it. Hope this helps you enjoy the site more.

Ed Higginbotham
9/21/17 11:34 a.m.
Toebra said:

The "quote" funtion does not work

Have you cleared your cache? It seems like just about everyone with this issue just needs to clear their cache.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
9/21/17 2:03 p.m.

Taking some getting used to, but I'm starting to figure it out.  Was avoiding it for a while.

dean1484
9/21/17 3:35 p.m.

Running Chrome on my PC

The spelling in Chrome does not work.  You get the squiggly line under the word telling you it is wrong but when you go to right click on it the word turns red and nothing happens.  You are supposed to get a menu with options for the correct spelling.  I can not spell my way out of the first grade so this is a real issue for me here.  

dean1484
9/21/17 3:46 p.m.

Another issue that is anoying

When I want to post a bunch of photos from my domain I would just copy the "code" and then change the name of the JPG file.  that way I could post a binch of photos fast.  As far as I can see you can not do this any more.  I ahve to use the photo posting button and I have to keep entering the location and what not and then the photos show up as a photo in the comment pan making trying to edit it and post more very dificult as the comment pan is not trying to deal with the photo and the text and ti gets all jerky and basicly I gave up.  that interface is horible.  I thaguht it was going tob e cool at first but it is just to cute.  is there a way to post photos the old way with direct links with the code in the text? and not have it preview the photos? 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/17 3:46 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Running Chrome on my PC

The spelling in Chrome does not work.  You get the squiggly line under the word telling you it is wrong but when you go to right click on it the word turns red and nothing happens.  You are supposed to get a menu with options for the correct spelling.  I can not spell my way out of the first grade so this is a real issue for me here.  

This is new. Spell check was working properly. 

1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d3zTxYJsRVzGUJJLXrRFtJ5sHCBCDtImoW5L5iw7GZMrjGUcWSkoI60fCfMwPBu8