1 2 3
CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
3/12/19 11:17 a.m.

Came here to mention the Accord Sport manual too. I believe those should have dropped into your price range already.

Also, the Acura TL came in a manual and would be a lot of car for the money. The last ones they made would probably be out of your price range and are pretty rare (2010) but the previous generation was a great car as well and should be well within budget.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
3/12/19 11:33 a.m.
CyberEric said:

I didn’t think the TsX came w a MT.

Yes it does. 

I didnt mention TL 3.7L 6MT, as great a car it is, has serious oil burning and other issues. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
3/12/19 11:34 a.m.
dankspeed said:
ProDarwin said:

I have a 3 year old, so I understand the requirements.  Any of those should work from a childseat/loading/unloading perspective.

I don't understand how an MS3 or a Focus ST have no useable hatch space?  They have significantly more useable space than many other options on your list.

Checked out a focus ST yesterday and made a point to measure the hatch. I seriously doubt id be able to fit her bike that has training wheels in there. While ive not confirmed it i think it would fit in the trunk of most of the cars i listed ( possibly not the dart). I havent confirmed the ms3 but looks to be similar size as the focus. Keep in mind i cant put the back seat down for more room since ill have her car seat in there. Taking her bike with me in the future to do test fits. 

Double stroller fits in ms3 hatch

2 bikes with training wheels fit in ms3 hatch 

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/12/19 11:49 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
dankspeed said:
ProDarwin said:

I have a 3 year old, so I understand the requirements.  Any of those should work from a childseat/loading/unloading perspective.

I don't understand how an MS3 or a Focus ST have no useable hatch space?  They have significantly more useable space than many other options on your list.

Checked out a focus ST yesterday and made a point to measure the hatch. I seriously doubt id be able to fit her bike that has training wheels in there. While ive not confirmed it i think it would fit in the trunk of most of the cars i listed ( possibly not the dart). I havent confirmed the ms3 but looks to be similar size as the focus. Keep in mind i cant put the back seat down for more room since ill have her car seat in there. Taking her bike with me in the future to do test fits. 

Double stroller fits in ms3 hatch

2 bikes with training wheels fit in ms3 hatch 

Guess I need to go check one out then,

Saw a couple 2011 accords with manuals but those are two generations ago. Still good cars though. 

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
3/12/19 12:27 p.m.

Mazda 6?

Had a 2016 Mazda 6 for a few years - it was smooth, fun to drive, handled well and never cost me a penny outside of regular oil changes.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/12/19 12:39 p.m.
CyberEric said:

I didn’t think the TsX came w a MT.

TDI? What’s going on with these nowadays? Are the “fixed” ones worth having? 

You're thinking about the TSX Wagon. That was 2.4 auto only

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/12/19 12:54 p.m.
pontiacstogo said:

Mazda 6?

Had a 2016 Mazda 6 for a few years - it was smooth, fun to drive, handled well and never cost me a penny outside of regular oil changes.

I found one that's local. 

I need to use searchtempest more often because way more cars pop up using that than just craigslist...obviously.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
3/12/19 2:09 p.m.

I've got a '13 Focus sedan with a 5 speed manual.  Love the car, but can't imagine dealing with a car seat in one.

Go with an Accord!

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
3/12/19 7:45 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Thank you, yeah I thought he needed more room.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/12/19 11:14 p.m.

The Focus ST rear seats have a 60/40 split. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to put down the 60 portion of it with the three-year-old seat on the 40 portion. You flip up the bottom cushion as well to make the backrest go flat as possible FYI.

The key for maximizing trunk space in an ST is to remove the full size spare and foam that will buy you eight plus in extra of vertical space in the trunk. 

I have fit 10 245 45 17's in a focus ST. I could have probably put in two less and fit a third person in the vehicle. 

When it comes to Mazdaspeed 3 and Focus ST I will push the ST over the Mazdaspeed3 all day everyday the ST is more efficient, and it is cheaper to operate because it will run on 87 or higher octane whereas the Mazdaspeed3 has to have 91. 

I've owned both, ST hands down better car. 

If you really need to have some kind of a large sedan with a trunk I would look in an 04 to 06 Acura TL manual. 260 horsepower 6 speed manual front wheel drive with a limited slip diff.  And it will slide in under your price range you can find them anywhere from $3500 to $5,000. You could look at in 07 to 08 Type S manual TL as well but those command much more of a premium. 

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
3/13/19 7:24 a.m.

My 2014 Cruze 1.4t 6 speed at 165k has very competent and reliable but isn't what I would call particularly fun. 

You should be able to find them well within your budget.  Mine was $16k new. 

octavious
octavious Dork
3/13/19 7:50 a.m.

I just came to say Jeep Wrangler.  Manual with 4 doors in that price range in that year range would also be available.  I just got a 2013 2 door manual, and didn't want to be the only one on GRM with one.  lol.  My kids are also older and usually only ride in there on the weekends. 

More relevant to your question though, my wife had a Mazda 3 for many years and it did just fine hauling both my rugrats around.  Two of the giant size car seats fit in the back.  Her's was a hatch so it had room in the back for strollers and all the other little kid stuff you have to drag around.  

My other suggestion would be take one of the kids carseats and test fit it in the car you are looking at.  For instance the car seat should fit all modern cars with the LATCH system, but with it behind you and your seat in a driving position does the kid have any room?  Or are they going to be kicking the crap out of your seat everywhere you drive?  Cause that gets old quick.    

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/13/19 8:46 a.m.

Mention of the Cruze with 1.4t reminds me that the Chevy Sonic offered the same 1.4t.  

I have no reason why one would be better than the other other than the Sonic is offered with a hatch and generally looks to have a larger rear door opening (taller, squarer) which might be beneficial for loading kids into the back seat.  

Comparison article

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
3/13/19 9:01 a.m.

What are your other priorities besides price, year range, 4 doors, rear trunk/hatch space, and manual?  

Some listed here are more fun than others, some more reliable, some more fuel efficient, etc.  Having a bit more context may help folks give you a better reco.  

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/13/19 11:13 a.m.

I'm leaning to the midsize or larger cars ( accord, 6, Optima) just because of size. 

I always put her seat in the center of the back seat simply because that's the  safest spot. 

I'm not going to put her to the left or right side to be able to drop down one side of a 60/40 split. I also don't think it makes sense to remove a spare tire to make room for her bike. 

I want a car that I can seat her in the center and have my spare tire and still fit her bike in the back. 

It might have been unreasonable to expect to do those things with the MS3 and ST although MR2S2000Elise says it's worked for him so I'll still check it out.

It's worth mentioning that I was stopped on the highway and saw the car in front of me get rear ended by a truck that didn't see traffic had stopped. I happened to be checking my mirrors for that exact thing and got over in enough time to not be the car he hit. Luckily the people in the car were ok but it's the main reason I got rid of my Mazda2 and something I do consider when buying a car. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
3/13/19 11:21 a.m.
dankspeed said:

I'm leaning to the midsize or larger cars ( accord, 6, Optima) just because of size. 

I always put her seat in the center of the back seat simply because that's the  safest spot. 

I'm not going to put her to the left or right side to be able to drop down one side of a 60/40 split. I also don't think it makes sense to remove a spare tire to make room for her bike. 

I want a car that I can seat her in the center and have my spare tire and still fit her bike in the back. 

It might have been unreasonable to expect to do those things with the MS3 and ST although MR2S2000Elise says it's worked for him so I'll still check it out.

It's worth mentioning that I was stopped on the highway and saw the car in front of me get rear ended by a truck that didn't see traffic had stopped. I happened to be checking my mirrors for that exact thing and got over in enough time to not be the car he hit. Luckily the people in the car were ok but it's the main reason I got rid of my Mazda2 and something I do consider when buying a car. 

If you got rid of your mazda2 for fear of rear end damage - dont get ms3 

get a land cruiser/tundra/ls600hL

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/13/19 11:48 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
dankspeed said:

I mean there's got to be balance. I dont want that fear to force me into a tank. 

Doesnt mean im going to own something that a rearend collision is going to kill thw person in the back seat.

Thats why i keep looking at the cruze too. That car does very well in rearend collisions. 

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/13/19 12:03 p.m.

It is also probably worth mentioning that the car in front of me that got hit was a new at the time (2015 or 16) Jetta. That car took a big hit and the girl who was in the back while very shaken up was ok. rear window was still intact even though the trunk was pretty much gone. 

I'd consider a jetta for the reason above if maintenance would not be a nightmare. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/13/19 12:05 p.m.

If you're going midsize, don't bother with the Koreans and a manual. They are base base base models most without even cruise control (which makes no sense in this age of electronic throttles) and the suspension/tires are meant for rental fleets and not something fun. 

If you can be happy with a flappy paddle, the K twins make a really nice midsize sedan with a really good engine/trans (2.0T/6-spd auto) and decent suspension. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
3/13/19 2:24 p.m.
dankspeed said:
mr2s2000elise said:
dankspeed said:

I mean there's got to be balance. I dont want that fear to force me into a tank. 

Doesnt mean im going to own something that a rearend collision is going to kill thw person in the back seat.

Thats why i keep looking at the cruze too. That car does very well in rearend collisions. 

To each their own :) My first kid went to day care daily 70 miles a day in my Miata for 27 months. Sat rear facing in front seat.   When we had second  kid, I had to get a loser 4 door car. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
3/13/19 2:56 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Just because you can do something doesn't make it a good idea.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
3/13/19 3:19 p.m.

You might be wrong on the Mazda 3.  I managed to get a whole home theatre recliner in the back of ours.  That back hatch gives you a fair bit of room.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/13/19 4:02 p.m.
wspohn said:

You might be wrong on the Mazda 3.  I managed to get a whole home theatre recliner in the back of ours.  That back hatch gives you a fair bit of room.

I'll check them out. 

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/13/19 6:33 p.m.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/d/cincinnati-2010-mazdaspeed-3/6839123619.html

Went after work to check this one out. 

Seemed like a nice car. Thoughts on his price? Back seat looked tight but doable with the car seat in the center. Back looked tight but doable with the bike in the back. I unfortunately forgot to put her bike in my rav4 last night. 

It seemed to have a fair amount of ticking from the engine. Is that common for these or something i should worry about? 

Thx

einy
einy HalfDork
3/13/19 7:25 p.m.

That Speed 3 looks pretty clean, except for weird looking outlet pipe angles on the supposed “performance” exhaust.  Looked at one of those when in a similar spot back in 2011 but bought a four door GTI instead ... lots more room, nicer interior fit/finish, willing to take a chance on quality.  So far, pretty ok on that front at 82k or so miles.  GTI engine also ticks ar idle, but that is because it is direct injected.  Can’t recall if the Speed 3 is also, but if so that sound is probably normal.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WWOKLC9zrESa1lQS2DagnUdvwba8bxGMpe9tZLrlCC54a3Tdu1mDlZSx5DqdYacY