1 2
RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
6/26/14 7:38 p.m.

My 2013 Mustang will need new tires soon. The tread is almost down to the wear bar and the right rear tire has a bulge in the sidewall (probably from a pothole). The current tires are 255/40/19 summer-only Pirelli P-Zero which were stock on the V-6 Performance Package. I know 19" tires of any type are going to be expensive but I would like my next set to be somewhat less so.

I'm looking for a summer tire that still has sporty handling in the dry and good grip in the wet. Maybe a little quieter and better wearing as well. I may do an autocross or two on them this year but hope to have a dedicated racing wheel/tire set if I do any more. These Continentals are pretty highly rated. Does anyone have any experience with them?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW&partnum=54YR9ECDWXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2013&autoModel=Mustang%20Coupe&autoModClar=Performance%20Package

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
6/26/14 9:29 p.m.

I am a big ContiExtreme fan. I pretty much have them on everything now. They seem to have a good combination of handling and grip while still being quiet. I have probably tried every brand over the years and always seem to come back to Continentals and they typically are reasonably priced as an added bonus. The only weird thing is...........and this is very small and won't matter to most is they don't take well to tire gels, meaning they don't respond, you know get dark and look wet. Can't explain why but the gels just don't work on them. Told you it wouldn't matter. Bottom line, nice tires.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
6/26/14 9:51 p.m.

I've got the DW on my E46. They're 25,000 miles old and still have plenty of life and grip. I autocross on them a few times a year and they feel great on a stock 325i with 35 to 38 pounds in them. Confident in the rain, too. I definitely recommend them and the DWS as well.

kingbeann
kingbeann New Reader
6/26/14 9:54 p.m.

I have about 750 miles on a set on my 335i. 255/35/18 at all 4 corners and they are a great summer tire. Comfortable ride and good grip. Previously I had a set of dws on my wrx for 1.5 years and those did great as an all season with good wear characteristics.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/26/14 10:18 p.m.

I have a set on my 91 Camaro and it transformed the car. It corners and transitions very well. It is just as fun at autocross events as better engineered cars. They feel soft and on the course. Grassroots mag tested them out and said that they're the best street tire in the wet, period.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/26/14 11:10 p.m.

I ran DW's on my E46 coupe last summer. I beat the crap out of them at Road America at two track days and they were excellent. I hear they're great in the wet, too. But as a daily tire in the city they also did perfectly fine for the 10k I put on the car; still had plenty of life when I sold it on, too.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/26/14 11:28 p.m.

I have them on my Saab. Great tire! The only two summer tires I buy are the Continental ExtremeContact DWs and the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
6/27/14 12:36 a.m.

This is relevant to my interests. Just ordered these in 205/45/17 for my 2006 Miata.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
6/27/14 12:57 a.m.

I have about 750 miles on a set of 215-75/45s on the Focus. So far I am very happy with them; smooth, good handling, but not with a lot of communication.

Mmadness
Mmadness HalfDork
6/27/14 5:43 a.m.

Rex, if I may ask, whereabouts do you live? I'm looking to swap out the Pirellis on my new Mustang for something more track oriented. They have 1,600mi. of mostly highway miles and I would be willing to give you a discount on them if you're interested.

My dad has had bad experiences with the Continentals for track use. Even with the traction control on, running 41 front 47 rear on a 60 degree day, there was noticeable chunking with these tires on his E60 M5 at Summit Point Shenandoah and there was a noticeable increase in hardness afterwards. At NJMP with the traction control off on a 70-80 degree day, the tires were greasy and wore 1-2 32nds. all around. To finish them off, we took them to an autocross and measured 2/32" of tire wear from only 6 runs with extreme levels of chunking in the rear! I know people who have run them on lower power cars (Mazda RX-8) and while they haven't experienced the chunking, there was a noticeable amount of wear on the shoulder of the tire as if it "rolled over". He replaced them with something else.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/27/14 6:37 a.m.

My e46 had them when I bought it. I loved them and put on another set when it was time. I think they are fantastic, both dry and wet. Never tracked them, so no experience there.

revhard
revhard New Reader
6/27/14 7:05 a.m.

I have them on my A4 for about 4 years and maybe 30k-35k miles. Great in the wet , and they still have plenty of tread left. Tires like the falken azenis would make me nervous driving in a rainstorm. I only DD my car but no complaints.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
6/27/14 7:06 a.m.

11,000 miles on the set on my 325is with one track day. Excellent tires.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/27/14 7:46 a.m.

Love them. Awesome in the wet.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
6/27/14 8:08 a.m.

I have them on my daily (mazda 6 waggy) they are the poor mans wet hoosier, super sticky and decently quiet, they seem to have low rolling resistance too because I'm averaging pretty good mileage.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
6/27/14 8:50 a.m.

I have them on my GTO which is woefully under-shod as-delivered with only 245 wide tires. Even so, these things keep it good and planted. Well, as planted as it can be with stock roll-o-matic suspension. To be fair, I don't dare ask too much from them :P

edit: I just noticed they're only $127/ea now for my OEM wheels. I call that a bargain.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/27/14 9:48 a.m.

I got a set for my 9-5 on the recommendation of a Spec Miata guy at Discount Tire and they were great. Like everyone said, sticky,quiet and they lasted about 50K miles for me without any track time.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
6/27/14 9:55 a.m.

Can't speak for the long term, but ordered some for my FIL C5 corvette and they are great tires. Civilized yet grippy. They do everything well.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
6/27/14 10:20 a.m.

Like everyone else, I really like these tires. I have them on my Speed3 daily driver. They are better for daily driving than either the star specs I had on the car previously or the potenza re050a that I had before that. I have not autocrossed or tracked the car with these tires.

gtoben
gtoben New Reader
6/27/14 10:29 a.m.

I'm also a huge fan of the Conti DW tires. While they are not one of the top AutoX/Track Day tires, they definitely seem to be one of the best, if not the best, all around summer tires. Dry traction is excellent, wet traction is excellent, and they have great longevity. I was very happy with them on my GTO when my usage was similar to your intended usage; I later switched to AutoX/Track Day focused tires when I start doing AutoX 2-4 times a month. As mmadness said, these tires aren't up for being pushed too hard at track days and I'd probably be careful hot lapping autox runs on hot summer days (if your group allows that). The tires should work well with your intended use of a daily summer tire with the occasional AutoX event though.

mfennell
mfennell Reader
6/27/14 1:36 p.m.

I have them on my '00 Jag XJR and '04 Volvo V70R. Love them and the guys at my local service shop mentioned that they love 'em too for all the reasons cited above.

I picked up my Volvo in the middle of a snow storm, expecting a dramatic drive home, and I was shocked at how well they did then and in the never-ending series of storms that followed. I'm still going full snows next season but it's nice to know that a freak early or late storm won't leave me stranded.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
6/27/14 3:03 p.m.

Sidewalls have a bit more flex then some of the other tires I have run. Otherwise like them. Switched from Bridgestone Potenza re960as in 205 width to the DW in 225 width and dropped over 2.5 seconds a lap on VIR full.

That was pre repavement vs post repavement of the track. So don't know what effect that was.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
6/27/14 7:36 p.m.

Wow, unanimous praise! Wasn't expecting that. I will be ordering up a set of DW tires soon, then.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
6/27/14 7:48 p.m.

Would love to here some GRM comparos to Michelin's Pilot Super Sports. I've read they are much better on forums (Porsche 968), they rate extremely well on Tire Rack, and are on sale. They are normally very expensive.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
6/27/14 9:46 p.m.

My dad has them and loves them. They are his new favorite DD tire. Says they feel nearly identical in the wet to in the dry. As in, you come on a big puddle and brace yourself to feel something when the tire hits... then don't.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pi9Wgh8i9QSTP6X1xFJDuO1KpGsq99RUGusqmvJVaJkozK2YPwFT9t8JVxw6C839