1 2 3
OutOfFocus
OutOfFocus New Reader
7/28/15 3:12 p.m.

I want to replace my Focus SVT with a new car. New commute will be down a winding mountain highway in the morning and back up in the evening. I've seen comparison threads about these from when they first came out but now I'd like to have a little something different. Tell me why they suck and don't deserve to be my commuter. I already don't like the FR-S power but it can't be any worse than my Focus. I also think the FiST has some dopey electronic braking handling gimmicks but I already have a track car with cheater AWD and turbo. Otherwise on paper they seem to tick a lot of boxes on my short list of needs in a car (be new, be less than 3000 lbs, have a clutch pedal, have okay MPG, have some sporting intent, be able to pass a car on the freeway). I'll be test driving in the next few days.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
7/28/15 3:40 p.m.

Possibly driving at elevation and wanting to pass people on the highway? Sounds like a job for a turbo car IMO. Focus is very fun to toss around.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
7/28/15 3:42 p.m.

I had a FR-S for about a year and had a blast with it, but ultimately decided it was more responsible to buy an old Miata and build that into an autocross car.

I test drove the FiST about a month ago and wasn't blown away by it - it felt kinda numb to me. But it certainly has its proponents.

Definitely drive both. The FR-S had pretty decent trunk space and I drove it through winter, with snows, with no issue.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
7/28/15 3:43 p.m.

Curious, why isn't the FoST on the list?
But yes, the ST's have gadgets instead of a proper locking diff.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/15 3:47 p.m.

The FiST does everything your SVT does -- just better. If you're going to buy new and need a practical car with a little spice, you can't do much better for the price. I was this || close to getting one and decided to go with a used 330i instead, since I'll be tracking it a lot (depreciation, not capability.)

The e-diff and using brakes for torque vectoring and chassis stability are par for the course these days. If you have an extended downhill mountain run daily, might put some better brake pads on the front. FiST seems to cook the stock pads with heavy use because the rotors are on the smallish side.

Bottom line -- Molten Orange or Performance Blue?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/28/15 3:48 p.m.

If you need the extra space--- go with the Fiesta ST. If driving fun and involvement is what you are after--- FR-S.

I like them both, so I'm not going to tell you either of them suck--- they don't. I"d pick the FR-S as it's more fun to drive, but for those on a budget, who need the 4-doors and space, the FiST is a good choice.

I also think the FR-S is much, much better to look at, but those are my eyes.....not yours.

OutOfFocus
OutOfFocus New Reader
7/28/15 3:57 p.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: Curious, why isn't the FoST on the list? But yes, the ST's have gadgets instead of a proper locking diff.

I wanted something sub-3000 lbs. I just find it unacceptable that the Focus ST weighs as much as my Evo and it doesn't even have AWD goodies in there.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/28/15 3:57 p.m.

Vote for the Twins here. I love my BRZ.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
7/28/15 4:04 p.m.

I have driven my SVT Focus for 9 years now. When I sat in the Fiesta ST, I did not like the ergonomics, since it felt less sporty than my old Focus. Second, it seems to be the car more or less as the SVT Focus, just slightly newer. Not worth paying many times what I would get for my Focus.

The FR-S at least felt like a different cabin and driving experience.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
7/28/15 4:15 p.m.

Going back to subject line, you shouldn't buy either one of these cars. People you don't know and that have no influence on your life might think less of you.

(Somehow I doubt that is very convincing. )

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/28/15 5:27 p.m.

Focus RS?

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
7/28/15 8:45 p.m.

2 months into BRZ ownership and it gets my vote

I test drove the FiST and while it was a pretty fun drive, the ergonomics did not feel right to me. The reach to the shifter and wheel was all wrong, and I felt way too high up.

As a daily driver (~65mi per day) the BRZ has been great so far. It does have a few little quirks, but it keeps a smile on my face most of the time, and knocks back pretty decent mileage while doing it.

Also the wife likes to go for drives in it, so that is a bonus

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
7/28/15 9:44 p.m.

Definitely FR-S.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
7/29/15 6:27 a.m.

I would lean BRZ over FRS if only so I didnt have to tell people I drive a Scion.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/15 8:11 a.m.

The FiST does have active yaw control and an E-diff. The Toyobaru is one fuse-pull away from full manual control and is RWD...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/15 8:20 a.m.
failboat wrote: I would lean BRZ over FRS if only so I didnt have to tell people I drive a Scion.

BRZ Limited also has a much nicer interior, which is why I went that route.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/15 8:28 a.m.
failboat wrote: I would lean BRZ over FRS if only so I didnt have to tell people I drive a Scion.

You'd rather be associated with the image of flatbill-hat-wearing brotatos or safety-obsessed yuppies than an economy car brand?

kylini
kylini HalfDork
7/29/15 8:42 a.m.

The answer is always Saturn SC2! Duh.

(Wait...I might have mixed that up somehow...)

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
7/29/15 8:45 a.m.

There is a very well driven FiST in the club I autocrossed with on Saturday. It was on RE71R's, and after seeing what that car could do I can no longer advise anybody not to buy one. Pretty incredible.

jonsteckelberg
jonsteckelberg New Reader
7/29/15 9:30 a.m.

If you already think the power on the FRS is too low for you don't buy it. I am tired of people complaining about it after they buy. I own one and have no problem with the level of power.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
7/29/15 10:35 a.m.

i don't comfortably fit in either, so that makes that pretty easy. :P Seriously, get in them both and see what fits you best. Niether is a bad car.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
7/29/15 10:58 a.m.

I missed the part where this was between fist and Frisbee. I now vote Frisbee.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/29/15 11:03 a.m.
jonsteckelberg wrote: If you already think the power on the FRS is too low for you don't buy it. I am tired of people complaining about it after they buy. I own one and have no problem with the level of power.

Yep, I have no problem keeping up with traffic keeping it under 4k.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
7/29/15 11:10 a.m.

Sit in it. Drive it.

Choose the one you like.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
7/29/15 11:14 a.m.

Steering wheel is adjustable. Reach and height on the FiST.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zPgwkVW9g3dAmUXc9PDeR8ig3BdRuk7ZXAPRo0MDTTw3glPb3cAZHpXF8z7I8i4R