1 2 3
darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/19/11 4:30 p.m.

For fun I sometimes do photoshop dreaming. I did this one a while ago and the more I look at it, the more I like it, and the more I think about actually making it happen (it is based on a pic of my own car). The question is: Is it cool, or is it sacrilege? It's a completely academic question, because I have no hesitation in actually doing it (other than the time and money right now, not that it would take a ton of either). So feel free to bash it or hail it... I'm just curious how others feel about this sorta thing. Here's the pic:

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/11 4:34 p.m.

Love the blackout on the trim. Love the flairs. Those wheels are ugly as all get-out, but any other all-black wheels would do nicely. Lose the side-pipes. Why aren't you done yet?

RossD
RossD SuperDork
9/19/11 4:35 p.m.

I enjoy that. There are far too many mustangs out there to make that sacrilegious.

Question: What does the un-shopped car look like?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/11 4:39 p.m.

I used to be an absolute Mustang purist, but I no longer believe that there is any real automotive sacrilege. Do to your car what makes you happy. Just understand that it will probably be harder to sell when the day comes.

As to this specific car, I don't love the color combo (though it suits an original car), but I really like everything else.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
9/19/11 4:42 p.m.

The NASCAR style steelies would be fine with proper offset/backspace--the photo has what appears to be FWD setup. The sidepipes, if they must stay, need to be Cobra 427 style with the 4 header pipes and collector...the rest looks baddd-assed.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
9/19/11 4:58 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Love the blackout on the trim. Love the flairs. Those wheels are ugly as all get-out, but any other all-black wheels would do nicely. Lose the side-pipes.

Like it was typed by my own hand..

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/19/11 4:58 p.m.

Where's the sacriligious part? Is there a 4g63 under the hood? 440 six-pack? If so, awesome. If not, wow, it's a lowered mustang(???) That said, it looks berkeleying wicked. Nice chop.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
9/19/11 5:06 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
Javelin wrote: Love the blackout on the trim. Love the flairs. Those wheels are ugly as all get-out, but any other all-black wheels would do nicely. Lose the side-pipes.
Like it was typed by my own hand..

I feel the same way.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/19/11 5:06 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Where's the sacriligious part? Is there a 4g63 under the hood? 440 six-pack? If so, awesome. If not, wow, it's a lowered mustang(???) That said, it looks berkeleying wicked. Nice chop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZKRiLAq8EA

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan New Reader
9/19/11 5:07 p.m.

Considering the number of mustangs I've seen at various drag strips with Chevy V8s in them, the Mustang purists out there would have a lot of heads to collect before they even noticed your car. For what it's worth, I like everything but the side-pipes

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
9/19/11 5:09 p.m.

Outside of the fact you're not going to be able to climb over a speed bump in the thing?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
9/19/11 5:09 p.m.

Drop the side pipes. The rest is WIN!

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/19/11 5:12 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Where's the sacriligious part? Is there a 4g63 under the hood? 440 six-pack? If so, awesome. If not, wow, it's a lowered mustang(???) That said, it looks berkeleying wicked. Nice chop.

Oh great. Like I needed another bad idea.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/19/11 5:26 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Oh great. Like I needed another bad idea.

Looks like a GREAT idea!!!! Think of the stall you'd NEED to take advantage of a huge turbo! It's a win, win! Sounds absoberkeleyinglutely ridiculous, goes like stink, and horrifies EVERYONE!

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/19/11 5:31 p.m.

Thanks for the replies. No real controversy here... gotta love the GRM way of thinking. I suppose the only "sacrilege" I alluded to is the pseudo JDM influence with the bolt-on flares. But really, flares is flares, and anyone familiar vintage American road racing knows flares aren't out of place.

BTW... Wow... and I really like the sidepipes. Actually, the original inspiration for this photoshop was the sidepipes, or more accurately, from the fact that I still have the old Thrush sidepipes that were on the car when I bought it (in 1988) and I was considering putting them back on. It didn't look quite right, so I tried the flares, and it progressed from there.

Just for the heck of it, here's a version of it without the sidepipes... doesn't work as well for me, but it does show that the car wouldn't be that low... the sidepipes make it look much lower than it really is (obviously)...

The wheels are another feature that comes from the "I've already got a set laying around" thinking. Obviously, the photochop flattens them out too much... they'd need a nice deep offset to work right. Actually I've been looking for some old school turbines (ala General Lee)... 15x8s or 15x9s would be nice.

Anyway, below is an unaltered pic of the original car. It's still in progress and not really near completion and I'm already looking towards altering it (again). I've owned this car since I was 15 (1988) and I have no interest or intent in selling it ever. It has always been, and will always be just a cool car for me to drive, modify, hammer on, and fix (when it breaks)... in other words, I'm gonna keep on using it just like the gods of speed always intended. Here's the pic:

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/19/11 5:37 p.m.

The chop is dead sexy. If nothing else, do all satin black bits (wheels especially.)

My $.02.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/19/11 5:38 p.m.

BTW, the car currently has several suspension upgrades and an AOD tranny, but a pretty basic (and temporary) 302 - 4 barrel - headers - dual exhaust combo. I've had a nice vintage Paxton supercharger I've been planning to install, but I've recently been seriously considering a junkyard turbo'd, EFI GT40p motor. I don't have any plans to go way overboard with 600+hp or anything crazy, but 350-400hp would be plenty to make it capable of backing up its looks and keeping it fun (and reasonable).

familytruckster
familytruckster New Reader
9/19/11 5:41 p.m.

Find a set of stock crown vic 16x7" steelies... 98-02 used em...and put on a set of the tall centercaps that were used on the PI vics and rangers. Those would look good.

Love the car! I wish I still had one of my mustangs...

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
9/19/11 5:53 p.m.

I'm no Mustang purist my any means, so I can't see anything wrong (but lots of things right) with that pic.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/11 5:57 p.m.

I think the cobra style pipes would work better too...

Or even just route the exhaust so it stays under the car and then pokes out in front of the rear wheels

oldtin
oldtin Dork
9/19/11 6:03 p.m.

I like the blacked out bits - wider rubber. Don't see any sacrilege.

This is though

EricM
EricM SuperDork
9/19/11 6:06 p.m.

i like it, fwiw

pres589
pres589 Dork
9/19/11 6:11 p.m.

What about black Enkei RFP1's with the flares and black trim?

imirk
imirk Reader
9/19/11 6:15 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:

JESUS TITTY-BERKELEYING CHRIST!

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/19/11 6:22 p.m.
imirk wrote: JESUS TITTY-BERKELEYING CHRIST!

Ditto, but is it me or does the "corrected" version of that seem dirtier than the as-typed version?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OTHuvhZbFnVkk3YxqSbT1nOfvbauihIKE1hVEszETFQ0tYsi4uODSx3WbtplYWqZ