uccdhewitt
uccdhewitt None
5/29/16 7:41 p.m.

I'm running a 2005 Cooper base in HS autocross. Craig Wilcox's Facebook says that SCCA has approved port-installed JCW parts for Coopers in Street with documentation from MINI. Can anyone provide the documentation on this? I got no joy from MINI USA.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
5/29/16 8:36 p.m.

Wouldn't a receipt from Mini be documentation?

"Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles of a particular make and model, but only between configurations from within a particular model year."

I dont see where documentation is required....

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/29/16 8:40 p.m.

IIRC, "documentation" = "actually port installed on the car in question". MINI can't really give you documentation saying parts were installed on your car when they weren't.

chili_head
chili_head Reader
5/29/16 8:46 p.m.

I assume that still excludes the early JCW S cars that were port installed, correct?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/30/16 6:42 a.m.

In reply to chili_head:

Yes, as illogical as it sounds considered the factory-built cars are better for some unknown reason.

uccdhewitt
uccdhewitt New Reader
5/30/16 6:48 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

I'm pretty new to this, but reading his Facebook, Craig was saying you can order and install JCW parts on your Cooper, as long as they are on the list of port-installed parts. Or I could be completely wrong!

uccdhewitt
uccdhewitt New Reader
5/30/16 7:00 a.m.

In reply to uccdhewitt:

The Facebook page is "Mini Cooper SCCA Solo/Prosolo Craig Wilcox" -- scroll down to May 23, 2011.

Maybe the rules have changed since then?

Aspen
Aspen Reader
5/30/16 8:02 a.m.
uccdhewitt wrote: In reply to Ian F: I'm pretty new to this, but reading his Facebook, Craig was saying you can order and install JCW parts on your Cooper, as long as they are on the list of port-installed parts. Or I could be completely wrong!

I think that is what they are getting at. You can install parts that were options at the time. The MINI had a sport suspension option with stiffer/lower springs that was available even to the Justa IIRC. Also there were many wheels, so you could go with something wider than the base Justa wheels.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/30/16 9:09 a.m.

You can go wider, but it has to match wheel diameter.

Seeing that link to 2011 made me realize it's been awhile since I was really paying attention to Cooper HS rules. I used to run one, but that was back in '09. Our car came with a factory package with 16x6.5" wheels and I ran 205 Star Specs on it.

IMHO, I wouldn't go nuts trying to prep a R50 to the nth degree for HS these days as the cost:benefit isn't worth it against the competition in the class.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
5/30/16 12:03 p.m.

"13.4 WHEELS

Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:

A. It is the same width as standard and as installed it does not have an offset more than ±7.00 mm (±0.275”) from a standard wheel for the car. The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed.

B. Wheel (rim) diameter may be increased or decreased 1” from the standard part."

Opti
Opti HalfDork
5/30/16 12:32 p.m.

What is "port-installed?"

Aspen
Aspen Reader
5/30/16 12:47 p.m.
bentwrench wrote: "13.4 WHEELS Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following: A. It is the same width as standard and as installed it does not have an offset more than ±7.00 mm (±0.275”) from a standard wheel for the car. The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed. B. Wheel (rim) diameter may be increased or decreased 1” from the standard part."

Would a "port-installed" MINI wheel that was an option be a "standard part"? This would then enable a 16x7 or 17x7 factory wheel to be used along with the sport suspension. The MINI option book was fairly large so one could order the car with a bunch of "U-ification". I think the LSD was an option in 2005 or 2006 as well, but maybe only for the R53.

uccdhewitt
uccdhewitt New Reader
5/31/16 8:50 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

I'm sure you're right, but (after PAX) I came 10th out of 53 cars in our local club event. It would make my whole day to beat the local Fiesta ST!

uccdhewitt
uccdhewitt New Reader
5/31/16 8:53 a.m.

In reply to Aspen:

With respect to wheels, that's how I read the rules as well! My car came with 15" wheels, but 17x7 was an option, which means that 16x7 would also be allowable. I'm also using Star Specs in 205/55/16. Would love to see the documentation on the LSD in 05.

uccdhewitt
uccdhewitt New Reader
5/31/16 8:55 a.m.

In reply to Opti:

An option part available for order when buying the vehicle, which is installed by the company upon arrival in the US, but before delivery to the dealer. As I understand it, SCCA is willing to accept port-installed parts as if they were factory installed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oB0Y6nqz2NK6cNhpr7icipUTljXK988Fm1mIZOierOvokWvGN5YAitlW1JcvENaW