1 2
P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/13/18 9:14 a.m.

I don't know how many times I've been driving along these past few years and I've been like "ohhh! A Vipe-- oh wait"

(in this GRM-sourced picture we see a 2013-style Viper and a 2014-style Corviper)

Chevrolet is continuing their budget replicar program for 2019, this time the waving flags are draped over a legendary Italian steed instead of a legless bitey lizard.

from https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/09/05/our-closest-look-yet-at-the-mid-engine-corvette

488/LaFerrari anyone?

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/13/18 9:52 a.m.

I get where you're coming from but i can already tell that it's nowhere near as pretty as the Ferraris. 

I love the C5 front end because it cribbed the FD Rx7. I dislike the C6 front end because it cribbed ugly 360 Modena headlights, but worse. The C7 never gave me any strong opinions other than looking like it was made out of plastic due to various finishes on things. I don't recall seeing a C7 i thought was 'pretty' regardless of colors/options. Nice interior though! Definitely not a 98 Bonneville (c5) or an 05 Impala (c6)! But i'm pretty sure the mid-engine vette interior isn't going to have me thinking Ferrari. Prove me wrong, GM!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
9/13/18 10:09 a.m.

Why can they not just imitate the best looking GM powered exotic in the history of the world?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/13/18 10:15 a.m.

If they can put together an interior as good as the newest Cadillacs I've been in then they'll do allright. 

A mid engined exotic I can take to my Chevy dealer for oil changes? I'm ok with that. Especially if it can undercut the Ford GT in price and be made in numbers that will allow "normal" people to buy it. None of that celebrities to the front of the line nonsense. Build them, price them for what they are, sell them. Do it right GM. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/18 10:19 a.m.

The only similarities I see between the disguised Corvette and the Ferrari is that they're both mid-engined cars with proportions and general shapes determined by their packaging and the wind.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/13/18 10:23 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Why can they not just imitate the best looking GM powered exotic in the history of the world?

Sorry sir.....you are incorrect.   I think  your 80's Ray Bans are obscuring your view.  This is more pleasing to my eyes......and faster too!  

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/13/18 10:23 a.m.

I think you’re a half century late on your news flash, Chevrolet is very well known for copying designs and technology and I say that as a GM guy. Oh on top of that, Chevy has already said they are still going to continue to produce the standard Corvette alongside the new Mid-Engined Corvette, the MR version is going to be a more expensive car.  

That being said, I haven’t cared for any Ferrari design since the 550 Maranello. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
9/13/18 10:29 a.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin :

What was that?  Between the turbochargers and the synthesizers I can barely hear you!

The Oldsmobiles were cool and all, but they were a boring factory effort.  The Vector is what happens when you park a fighter pilot in front of an early CAD station and feed him cocaine until a car comes out.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/13/18 10:40 a.m.

Newsflash: all car companies steal ideas from other car companies.

Keith Tanner
9/13/18 10:42 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

That being said, I haven’t cared for any Ferrari design since the 550 Maranello. 

Preach, brother. And thank you for specifying the 550 and not the 575. I'll take mine in blue.

And if you want to play the "totally looks like" game, I've always thought the Peugeot 406 Coupe looks like the mass market version of the 550. Something about the lines of the greenhouse.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
9/13/18 10:47 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

If they can put together an interior as good as the newest Cadillacs I've been in then they'll do allright. 

A mid engined exotic I can take to my Chevy dealer for oil changes? I'm ok with that. Especially if it can undercut the Ford GT in price and be made in numbers that will allow "normal" people to buy it. None of that celebrities to the front of the line nonsense. Build them, price them for what they are, sell them. Do it right GM. 

Depends on what you mean as affordable. I am hearing 120-135k for the just under top spec car with 160k being floated for the full fat hybrid monster. 

Interior has been said to look like the new ford gt but with a more luxury focus.  

P3PPY
9/13/18 10:55 a.m.
Vigo said:

I get where you're coming from but i can already tell that it's nowhere near as pretty as the Ferraris. 

I love the C5 front end because it cribbed the FD Rx7. I dislike the C6 front end because it cribbed ugly 360 Modena headlights, but worse. The C7 never gave me any strong opinions other than looking like it was made out of plastic due to various finishes on things. I don't recall seeing a C7 i thought was 'pretty' regardless of colors/options. Nice interior though! Definitely not a 98 Bonneville (c5) or an 05 Impala (c6)! But i'm pretty sure the mid-engine vette interior isn't going to have me thinking Ferrari. Prove me wrong, GM!

True about the pretty part. This and the current generation seem soulless and lacking real inspiration. Give me a coked-out fighter pilot's design over a committee design any day.

I felt like the C6 was when the Viper theme really started. That little hood hole was more than accidental on the Z06, etc. Other than that it was a better, more masculine version of the C5 all around.

_
_ Reader
9/13/18 11:09 a.m.
P3PPY said:

I don't know how many times I've been driving along these past few years and I've been like "ohhh! A Vipe-- oh wait"

Personally... 

Keith Tanner
9/13/18 11:16 a.m.

I mean, it's got a vent in front of the rear wheels, but otherwise it's really not the same in anything other than fundamental shape.

P3PPY
9/13/18 11:50 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The only similarities I see between the disguised Corvette and the Ferrari is that they're both mid-engined cars with proportions and general shapes determined by their packaging and the wind.

Well, if you don't then you don't. I'd say if you want to get what I mean then compare it to something like the McLaren P1, Audi R8, any Lambos, etc. -- all of them are mid engine with aero packaging but I don't think you'd ever confuse any of them for one another. Something like the MP4 on the other hand also appears to be unoriginal (or bland, if you will), for instance.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
9/13/18 12:01 p.m.

It looks like most mid-engined, 200mph cars with 600ish hp. They all have similar goals, similar cooling needs, and similar aero needs.

I see some NSX in the side:

Related image

The front bumper, with its gaping air inlets and sharp horizontal crease scream Lambo:

Image result for huracan test mule

The headlights are a cross between the 360Modena and 458

Something about the proportions looks "off" in the photos that I've seen but I'll probably see about 5 of these in my life so it doesn't really matter what I think.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/13/18 12:28 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

Oh on top of that, Chevy has already said they are still going to continue to produce the standard Corvette alongside the new Mid-Engined Corvette, the MR version is going to be a more expensive car.  

They've done no such thing. They haven't even announced that the mid-engine Vette is real yet, even though we all know it is.

Keith Tanner
9/13/18 12:41 p.m.

Don't read anything into those lights, they're probably just assembled out of parts store stuff. I've been lucky enough to see some disguised GM prototypes up close and personal - they were hidden in our shop during a visit - and let's just say you're not going to want to extrapolate production lighting out of what's on them. Also, the OE engineers have access to programming tools and data acquisition the rest of us only dream of wink

P3PPY said:
Keith Tanner said:

Well, if you don't then you don't. I'd say if you want to get what I mean then compare it to something like the McLaren P1, Audi R8, any Lambos, etc. -- all of them are mid engine with aero packaging but I don't think you'd ever confuse any of them for one another. Something like the MP4 on the other hand also appears to be unoriginal (or bland, if you will), for instance.

They look the same like my sister looks like Angelina Jolie. Squint hard enough, it's there. But the rear vents in the Ferrari are a hole right through the car (like a GT) while the Corvette ones obviously go to heat exchangers. The Corvette has chines and straight lines all over it, the Ferrari is a big blob that's all curves. The Ferrari has a very exaggerated waist in both the plan and profile views, especially at the window line. The Ferrari also has maximum greenhouse while the Corvette has a blocky C pillar that exaggerates the chunkiness of the back end. Looks like the Ferrari has a longer nose, too, while the Corvette is stumpy. Basically, the Ferrari has the masses exaggerated in different ways.

P3PPY
9/13/18 1:22 p.m.

I agree about the stumpy part, kinda Gallardo-esque.

Not to beat a dead [Italian] horse [clone], but here's a quick sketch of what I see as unoriginal, in case you're curious:

Like you said, STM317, it doesn't really matter what I think. I'm not their target audience *(well technically I am, but not in the sense of ever going to GET one!)

Keith Tanner
9/13/18 1:31 p.m.

It's funny that you and I identified the same features as either identical or differentiators. I guess we see what we want to see. You're also mashing together styling cues from two very different looking Ferraris - neither of them look like each other, and the Corvette looks like neither.

I actually think you could make a stronger case for the Corvette looking like a Gallardo.

As for the Viper/Corvette - it could be said that the Viper evolved to look more like the Corvette, as the last Viper looked less like the first Viper than the current Corvette looks like the C4 devil

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
9/14/18 12:49 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Depends on what you mean as affordable. I am hearing 120-135k for the just under top spec car with 160k being floated for the full fat hybrid monster. 

Interior has been said to look like the new ford gt but with a more luxury focus.  

I also heard peter delorenzo on autoline after hours suggesting that the base price of a mid engine corvette would be with 10k of the current c7 base price.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/14/18 5:19 a.m.

If the mid engine car is within ballpark of a loaded Z06 I'd consider it "affordable" for people who buy those sorts of things. When it's not raining I regularly see people commuting in current gen Z06's. If they're less than $100k I'm betting Mrs. Deuce is going to want one. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
9/14/18 6:36 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

If the mid engine car is within ballpark of a loaded Z06 I'd consider it "affordable" for people who buy those sorts of things. When it's not raining I regularly see people commuting in current gen Z06's. If they're less than $100k I'm betting Mrs. Deuce is going to want one. 

You did this hoping she would read it right???

mazdeuce - Seth
9/14/18 8:11 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I've actually been purposely NOT telling her about it. She's a big Audi R8 fan and we have significant family ties to GM so I'm sure this is going to hit a sweet spot with her. We probably need to get a couple kids in/through college rather than buy when it first comes out, but you can be sure we'll be watching. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
9/14/18 1:09 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:
wearymicrobe said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I also heard peter delorenzo on autoline after hours suggesting that the base price of a mid engine corvette would be with 10k of the current c7 base price.

One hell of an engineering feat if they could do that. Maybe possible.

If a properly spec'd one is anywhere near what a new properly spec'd grand sport costs I may be in, especially with if the interior is as good as a few people I trust have said. That is coming from someone who really does not like current GM's.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1aApe35A5VN6Vnq34K6c0sdAJNTKjjSNoLcJNHiA4ZkEk8iBUPgNWX1TfKIkDhsm