ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
4/17/15 8:35 p.m.

I'm very confident in my driving ability.

So, with four good-quality snows, y'all think I could've gotten I work and back this winter (every storm affected my commute, I couldn't get a break!)

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
4/17/15 9:05 p.m.

Snow tires will make a 2WD (on either end) anything at least good enough for snow up to the pinch welds. The General Altimax Artic is a good cheap one, it's an older Gislaved design (Swedish Nokian competitor) with a different sidewall mold.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
4/17/15 9:07 p.m.

More than likely. You'll also have two tons of fun doing it.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
4/17/15 9:15 p.m.

That's what I'm thinking!

I'm a nurse employed by the state and I wondered how this winter would've been (mandatory employee) seeing that I drive a 4x4 truck.

I'm a believer in the magic of snow tires but have only been amazed at the abilities of a Protege5 (albeit in much calmer winter two years ago).

The internet says Panthers suck in snow but that's mostly on summer tires from what I can tell.

Anecdotal stories from a professional driver says Panthers are TANKS in the snow and he's even plowed through snow banks when needed.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/17/15 10:01 p.m.

I don't think the police forces magically swapped out to something else when it snowed..

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
4/17/15 10:15 p.m.

Our local cops do. When it snows you'll see a mish-mash of old CUCV's, Durangos, and a couple new Utility Interceptors, and the Crown Vics and Chargers get parked.

But folks here think they NEED 4x4's to get around in the snow.

My P71 was great with snows and pretty easy to hoon with the longish wheelbase.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
4/17/15 10:20 p.m.
WonkoTheSane wrote: I don't think the police forces magically swapped out to something else when it snowed..

Nope. In the DC area they just all get stuck.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/17/15 10:53 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
WonkoTheSane wrote: I don't think the police forces magically swapped out to something else when it snowed..
Nope. In the DC area they just all get stuck.

Hah! In central PA they put on snows, you didn't see any more SUVs or anything just because there was some snowfall..

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
4/18/15 3:02 a.m.

All the city POs here still have CVs with snows, and I'm a block over from their garage. They all had a blast this winter, it was like watching plus sized stage rally at shift change.

tjbell
tjbell Reader
4/18/15 6:06 a.m.

I am in MA, and with out a doubt you would have made it, there wasnt over 4 inches on the roads at any given time, 495 south had a good deal on it, but I made it a few years back in my 03 p71 on all seasons, no problem... and had tons of fun doing it

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
4/18/15 7:05 a.m.

Great, off to Craigslist (again)!

Thanks guys!

Btw, keep 'em coming...

jstand
jstand HalfDork
4/18/15 7:25 a.m.

If you have any doubt, pick up a cheap set of chains to keep in the trunk. I doubt you'll use the chains, but they will provide added security in case you ever need more that the snow tires.

I went through the 90's and early 00's in eastern and western MA with 2wd pickups. I would guess those are as bad or worse than a p71 in the snow.

Snow tires and a bit of planning were all that was needed to get around regardless of weather.

I also kept a set of chains behind the seat, but only used them on icy driveways that sloped down from the road. I never actually put them on, just laid them down behind the tires to get enough traction to moving and out of the driveway.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
4/18/15 7:42 a.m.

In reply to jstand:

That's how I'm thinking as well. I "somehow" made it through four winters with a stripped 2wd '88 Ranger 5spd.

Maybe being in my 40's with a wife and three kids is making me think too (read needlessly) cautiously or conservatively?

With my smallish budget-wife gets the good vehicle, saving for house etc.- the P71 is the newest, safest vehicle I can afford and as mentioned, I don't have the luxury of calling in during a blizzard.

But looking back, I agree, I never really had to plow through the deepest snow even on the worst of the storms.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
4/18/15 9:22 a.m.

My is300 made it everywhere I needed it to on bald snows that sucked when new (dunlops). Lsd makes all the difference.

jstand
jstand HalfDork
4/18/15 10:28 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to jstand: Maybe being in my 40's with a wife and three kids is making me think too (read needlessly) cautiously or conservatively?

That cautiousness will help keep you from getting into a bad situation with RWD, at least one that's your fault.

SeanC
SeanC New Reader
4/18/15 11:02 a.m.

I'd ditch AWD in a second if not for my driveway. It's not always plowed before work or for my return home and has often been 8+ inches. It's long, rises and falls, joins a long sloped common drive, and is dirt. Then during the thaw it becomes a mud pit in places. I have no desire to be stuck in my own driveway. Years ago I had an LT1 Firebird that I put snows on and had no trouble, but I didn't live at the house I'm at now. If I just had a flat 4 car driveway like I did in my Firebird days, I'd most likely be driving RWD and an LSD. A little trickier up hills, but more fun the other 98% of the time.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
4/18/15 2:03 p.m.

Aside from my work driveway which may be in any state of plowedness and is slightly inclined, I don't see much of a depth problem.

I had to pull my boss up the driveway in his Matrix with summer tires, I wonder if the P71 could've done that (it's possible).

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
4/18/15 3:19 p.m.

Of the 1,000,000 miles I put on Panthers between 2000 and 2011, a third were in Winter, of those I used snows for 2 years, I was never stranded anywhere, not once.

I am a professional driver.

SeanC
SeanC New Reader
4/18/15 6:35 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Aside from my work driveway which may be in any state of plowedness and is slightly inclined, I don't see much of a depth problem. I had to pull my boss up the driveway in his Matrix with summer tires, I wonder if the P71 could've done that (it's possible).

If you're talking about shallow amounts and only a slight incline, it would be fine. Your boss should have switched out the summer tires. BTW, I'm in NH now and my old house was in MA, don't think I mentioned where I was in my last post.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
4/18/15 7:13 p.m.

In reply to SeanC:

You don't know how many times I've told coworkers to get snow tires on steel wheels.

I quit trying to convince them. I've also quit listening to them B**** about driving in the snow. You fail to take excellent, proven advice you lose the right to complain.

SeanC
SeanC New Reader
4/18/15 8:13 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to SeanC: You don't know how many times I've told coworkers to get snow tires on steel wheels. I quit trying to convince them. I've also quit listening to them B**** about driving in the snow. You fail to take excellent, proven advice you lose the right to complain.

Exactly.

etifosi
etifosi HalfDork
4/18/15 8:21 p.m.

I always thought F & AWD were for people who just don't know how to drive.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
4/19/15 12:17 a.m.

Don't forget to add weight. In the old days everyone added winter weight. I use a bag of sand and some chucks of metal, probably 300 pounds worth in my Mustang. I also have air bags in my rear springs to keep the rear end high with the weight.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
00yldnOgs92NQZ1zdwpYf68oxli38OlIQDBfWgtx2TCBVOCINlPNM1Pgxlfw16DU