1 2
Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/4/08 4:35 p.m.

I worked the Polish Mountian Hillclimb last weekend.

amoung the interesting vehicles GMC blazer with a 406 V8, double wishbone suspension and tube chassis supports at the front and a quickchange rear.

IIRC on saturday out of 65-ish entries it was 6th overall.

IT WAS SCARY FAST AND LOUD!

of course the bowland A-mod car was going up the hill as well

Le-Car!

TVR vixen

its a shame, this car ended the weekend with its nose under a guardrail (car is repairable and driver is uninjured, i dont think we had ANY injuries this weekend and the only car that was heavily damaged was a Neon)

ACarlson
ACarlson New Reader
8/4/08 5:28 p.m.

Great pictures!

I sure wish he had hillclimbs around here. There are a couple short-ish roads that I've always fantasized about having unrestricted access to.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
8/4/08 6:20 p.m.

Oooof!!!!

That Ghia is phenomenal.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
8/4/08 6:52 p.m.

The Blazer (really a Jimmy, right?) Butch King from New Hampshire...he actually makes about three events of ours a year...

The TVR (aka the saucy little Vixen) Rich Rock from the Reading PA area

The LeCar is Don McLaughlin from Duncannon PA, but the PA announcer accused him of being "Don McLaren"!

Ghia is Bob Oswald of Mt Penn (Reading) PA

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/4/08 8:14 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote:

Holy Crap!!

amaff
amaff Reader
8/4/08 10:05 p.m.

Geez, I don't even want to know what the wings on that AMod car cost... that's just hot sexiness

ratghia
ratghia New Reader
8/4/08 10:20 p.m.

Is that ghia turbocharged? If it is someone at an autocross was telling me about it when we first started testing mine. He was telling me that the body was handmade.

ACarlson
ACarlson New Reader
8/4/08 10:34 p.m.

A-Mod: two stroke? What motor? And what are those rubber skirts off the sides that brush the ground?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/4/08 10:43 p.m.

defines hotness

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/4/08 11:00 p.m.
ACarlson wrote: A-Mod: two stroke? What motor? And what are those rubber skirts off the sides that brush the ground?

the bowland car uses a hotrodded racing snowmobile engine (i think i heard something about 260ish HP) with a CVT

those skirts are for aero, keep the air that goes under the front under the car and it is drawn out by the rear diffuser and creates suction.

they bat around about supercars driving on the ceiling, im sure that that could do it at highway speeds!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/4/08 11:09 p.m.

ok, time for more hotness from the club Flickr

(The Rx-Midget should be familar to longtime readers)

the driver of this mustang is INSANE (full drifts up the hill)

by demand, more GHIA!

Black Stig
Black Stig New Reader
8/4/08 11:16 p.m.

The driver of that Mustang isn't insane, he has no choice, it's slide or understeer! LMAO!

Any pictures of the tattered Neon?!

-Stig

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/4/08 11:24 p.m.

sorry, no carnage pics, the thing looked like it might be recoverable, but i think the front passenger suspension was screwed when i saw it on the trailer.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/4/08 11:26 p.m.

there was also a gash down the side of a GTI and another neon that slid along the guardrail for 20-30ft at my station.

not to mention the AS camaro that wacked its rear quarter on the guardrail at my station so hard they heard and felt it 2 stations away... he never lifted off the gas and kept on going!

sachilles
sachilles New Reader
8/5/08 8:33 a.m.

The Blazah (must be said with a downeast accent) is pretty cool. The driver Butch is about the nicest guy you'll ever meet. He's a very talented builder and driver. There is very little left on that vehicle that is still stock. I believe there is a big block under the hood. I know the rear suspension is completely redesigned. It's fast. Most hillclimbers wave at the workers on the way down the hill, Butch will wave on the way up I was lucky enough to go for a ride up the hill with him at my first hillclimb, when my car decided not to cooperate on the fam run. That thing moves.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/5/08 9:21 a.m.

the motor is a 406 built off a 400 small block.

really nice guy and a real character

problemaddict
problemaddict New Reader
8/5/08 9:22 a.m.

continuing w/ weird hillclimb cars, i loved this one:

Photobucket

pretty sure the pic is from a PA hillclimb several years ago... I've got no other info.

sachilles
sachilles New Reader
8/5/08 9:28 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: the motor is a 406 built off a 400 small block. really nice guy and a real character

I always thought it was a 454.....sure as hell seems like it, when you are riding it in it. It's not the first time I've been wrong, just ask my wife.

sachilles
sachilles New Reader
8/5/08 9:33 a.m.
problemaddict wrote: continuing w/ weird hillclimb cars, i loved this one: Photobucket pretty sure the pic is from a PA hillclimb several years ago... I've got no other info.

I think that might be one the Rutan's. They've built some crazy VW's. Pretty sure he ran that up Mt washington(you can even see the sticker on the side) for the vitange climb a few years back. Among other cars, they had(maybe still have) a scirocco bodied, quattro drivetrain, buick grand national powered car. Held many New England Hillclimb records. The thing takes off, and it looks like the old night rider show when they speed up the camera.

Duke
Duke Dork
8/5/08 10:40 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: the only car that was heavily damaged was a Neon

It wasn't a white ACR sedan, was it? I sold my ACR to a guy from PA who was making a hillclimber out of it. Although it would have wanted to go out that way, I'd hate to see it killed in action and I'm glad there weren't any injuries.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/08 10:45 a.m.

More pictures are available here:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nationalroadautosport/

jaf37
jaf37 None
8/5/08 11:05 a.m.

It is a Rutan car and quite quick! The photo is at the Hershey Vintage Hillclimb.

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
8/5/08 12:01 p.m.
sachilles wrote:
Apexcarver wrote: the motor is a 406 built off a 400 small block. really nice guy and a real character
I always thought it was a 454.....sure as hell seems like it, when you are riding it in it. It's not the first time I've been wrong, just ask my wife.

I had a built small-block 400 in a '70 Chevy Pickup. It was much more fun than the warm 454 in a similar '72.

amaff wrote: Geez, I don't even want to know what the wings on that AMod car cost... that's just hot sexiness

I think more resources were spent designing the wings than building them.

WilD
WilD Reader
8/5/08 12:42 p.m.

I wish we had hills in Michigan, that looks awesome.

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
8/5/08 1:06 p.m.
sachilles wrote: I think that might be one the Rutan's. ... Among other cars, they had(maybe still have) a scirocco bodied, quattro drivetrain, buick grand national powered car.

Is that who that is? I saw said Scirocco run up Mt. Okemo 5+ years ago... unbelievably fast. Neat to see a Scirocco in an on throttle four wheel drift with carbs sticking out of the hood.:)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jiD3jQdtqOQn60IqmzFYQnGbrvVyCFlcQGFDC1sv45hOCLllU4caFt92MBfin7Ak